Texture Applying Mystery

RejectedSpike

Hello,

In constructing my route, using Trainz+, I got busy with applying textures. Everything was going fine, until I downloaded a bunch of texture from the Download Station. When I applied some of those texture to the HD surface, that caused previously textured areas to loose their textures. I used Control-Z to bring those textures back. I lost track of the textures I used, so I went into my Installed Items and began deleting all the textures I had downloaded. From now on, I'll download one texture at a time, testing it to see if it has any effect on the previously laid down textures, rejecting those that fail the test.

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. If not, then what might I be doing wrong?

I hope that I've been clear in my explanation of the problem I' having.

Best to all out in the Trainz universe,

Rejected Spike

A problem is that you have no choice over which texture is being eliminated after you exceed the 16 limit. The textures eliminated are replaced with a close by texture. In some cases, this resulted in having a field texture in front of a building or in a parking lot. As I am converting some of my routes it is amazing how many use more than 16 textures per grid. This is one sacrifice that has to be made to take advantage of the HD texture. In most cases I have found acceptable work arounds.

Texture replacement is done on a FIFO basis. What you see at any given point in time is the last 16 textures applied.

I would have thought so too but when I placed a series of textures, left to right, the eighth one I placed was removed when I went over the limit. The initial green grass must count for one of the textures.
texture_limit.jpg

I believe it was stated that the least used texture on that baseboard would be deleted.
That could be the case. While I placed each blob in the same way, at the pixel level, perhaps the one that was deleted used one pixel less than the others.

That could be the case. While I placed each blob in the same way, at the pixel level, perhaps the one that was deleted used one pixel less than the others.
Yes, currently that is correct. I was mistaken. Thank you for the correction, Stagecoach. Although, letting the user choose would make more sense. A dialog that said you must remove a texture to add a new one, please choose the texture to remove.

Question: I currently have very few ground textures in my palette. Before I start downloading a lot from DLS, how can I tell HD from ordinary textures? In fact, how do I know what kind I already have?

Question: I currently have very few ground textures in my palette. Before I start downloading a lot from DLS, how can I tell HD from ordinary textures? In fact, how do I know what kind I already have?
Paul actually meant HD Terrain and not HD Texture. There is no differentiation in textures whether we use a 5m 10m or HD Terrain grid.

Oh. Now I'm really confused. I have no idea what "HD Terrain" might mean or where it is to be found. Some of the messages above are clearly talking about textures.

And what is the difference between Texture and TextureEnv?
The environmental textures. are those found on the routes and this is what Texture is referred to generally when people talk about textures. The other kind of textures, meaning TextureNonEnv, are for object-textures such as those found on passenger cars and freight wagons. This kind of reference is usually found in the content-creators forum where they discuss how to make better-colored rusty walls, etc.

OK, that makes sense, but the vast majority of textures seem to be just that: .texture, and the Env ones seem to have made an appearance very recently.

OK, that makes sense, but the vast majority of textures seem to be just that: .texture, and the Env ones seem to have made an appearance very recently.
I take that back. Seems they've all been renamed. Plus there is a tag I hadn't seen before: "Scenery"

I`m sorry to disagree, JCitron, but I believe that the "non-env" textures are the ones that are used in property dialogs and such, and that any texture used on the route itself is an "env" texture. I`ve seen some of each outside the game, and that seems to be the way the two groups are divided from one-another. All the textures I can recall seeing, anyway.

I`m sorry to disagree, JCitron, but I believe that the "non-env" textures are the ones that are used in property dialogs and such, and that any texture used on the route itself is an "env" texture. I`ve seen some of each outside the game, and that seems to be the way the two groups are divided from one-another. All the textures I can recall seeing, anyway.
I'm going by what's in Content Manager where Mr. rhban saw the textures originally.

Yes, I do agree that nonEnv textures can also be dialog boxes and whatnot but that doesn't apply to this context.

Ok, but I haven`t seen any that weren`t. 🤷‍♂️
Here's a few to start with:
<kuid2:403746:2978:4> FR Fairlie Bogie (Mechanical Lubricator) Texture Group
<kuid2:403746:826:3> FR Taliesin III Texture Group
<kuid2:403746:758:4> FR Merddin Emrys 2005 Texture Group

These ain't grass, leaves, and dirt!

Back