Terrain only files questions

JohnnyG1973

Today I was looking through some of the routes on the DLS and came across one of my old home town area (Merrill, WI). In the description it says it was created using the Hog Utility. What is this and how does it work? It also states I will need Hog textures installed to see the lines in surveyor. How do I get this? What do the lines indicate? If the lines indicate where the rails are, is it current only or does it also show where past lines ran (old NG logging lines for instance) that are now bike trails or roads? Am I correct in assuming that this and other terrain only files are created at a correct elevation and is there any precise way of knowing how to determine the right height or level to place rivers and lakes?

For those here that help answer everyones questions, I can't give enough thanks. I only hope that eventually I will be knowledgeable enough to also be of some assistance to others. Thanks in advance for any answers to my questions. -JohnnyG

Hi JohnnyG,

The HOG textures are available at trainz.luvr.net. On most of these routes the lines only show streets, water and railways. There is not much detail since the lines are 10 meters in width. In general, these layouts give you a good starting point but you will need to do research to get the detail you want. There is a program called TransDEM that you can buy to create your own maps using Google Earth images to get the level of detail you asked about. Search the payware forum for the thread about the program. IMHO it is well worth the ~$30 price.

William

Back