Tasmanian Transport Museum

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in creating a Tasmanian Transport Museum route for Trainz?

https://youtu.be/xe6Q40R4k7M

The Tasmanian Transport Museum is only a few 100m long that run heritage locomotives and carriages every second Sunday.

I had created a basic version of it but lost it when my PC died and I figured a professional could create a better more realistic version fairly quickly since the route is only a few 100m long.

The Tasmanian Transport Museum consists of a roundhouse, turntable, station, vintage locomotives from the 18 and 1900s, TGR wagons, heritage carriages, trolley buses, traction engines, steam rollers and steam technology.

Here is a video of each direction of the museum.

https://youtu.be/XTENgy5ufJo
https://youtu.be/uTNkCF4LoH0

Here is a video that shows a bit about the museum https://youtu.be/y3VgwmtjPmc

Most of the locomotives etc are already on the DLS for this which makes it feel more worthwhile creating.

The main line next to the museum is currently not in service however the museum is trying to gain access to using some of it to run longer train rides.

This video shows the last train to use the main line in parallel with the Tasmanian Transport Museum's line https://youtu.be/QZ6IDZQS4BI

There's videos of every heritage locomotive that runs trains on YouTube if anyone is interested in looking for them search Tasmanian Transport Museum.

Please I would love to run all the heritage locomotives back and forth notching them up and down. Most are on the DLS.

Kind regards,

Bradley

So you have all the information and you have the tool to build it (Trainz Surveyor)... what is keeping you from building it yourself?

C'mon 100 meters is easy for ya no ? Don't be that lazy and you can keep asking for people to do the work for you: they won't do it

I'm starting a course as Tafe as well so time will be almost impossible, the route would practically be a museum as I wouldn't be able to play it a real heap at the moment.

Love all the historic preservation of the place and would love to see it on the DLS since most of the assets are on there.

Bradley, that first step, confidence, is always the hardest. Take that first step and the rest will follow.

As for the scenery, unless you plan to spend years making it all yourself (how are your Blender skills?) then don't fret it. You will never find the exact buildings, bridges, lamp posts, etc that you think you will need. I never have. You simply use what is available. If you are doing a period setting then there will be no-one around who can honestly question your choices. On my visits to Tasmania over the years I observed that structures from virtually any time in the UK, Australia or New Zealand would work.

Try it and see.

A nice suggestion Bradley.

I can tell that you're busy mate, but so are many of us out there.

Even retired people like myself who don't have enough years left to do what we would like to do. I am currently working on my own route, from my own ideas, so when it is completed,.. guess what?.. I am the one who gets the most satisfaction from it, knowing that I put it all together from my own research. Don't miss out on that joy by letting someone else claim the glory.

Mate, there is no rush to create a wonderful layout. It all takes valuable time, which is precious to us all.

So make the most of it and study hard, do a course in 3D modelling, learn lots and make a few assets, then, like many others in Trainz, you put all that knowledge into practice and fulfill that dream of yours.

Remember, all of us started with no knowledge at all - we are all still learning.

Cheers mate; and if I'm still alive, I'll be looking out for your Tasmanian route.

Roy

Bradley, that first step, confidence, is always the hardest. Take that first step and the rest will follow.

As for the scenery, unless you plan to spend years making it all yourself (how are your Blender skills?) then don't fret it. You will never find the exact buildings, bridges, lamp posts, etc that you think you will need. I never have. You simply use what is available. If you are doing a period setting then there will be no-one around who can honestly question your choices. On my visits to Tasmania over the years I observed that structures from virtually any time in the UK, Australia or New Zealand would work.

Try it and see.

Yes that's what I thought. As long as the buildings are of some similarity then I'd be happy. What I like about other people's routes is I can't pick on them as they did all the hard work and they're always a good standard.

A nice suggestion Bradley.

I can tell that you're busy mate, but so are many of us out there.

Even retired people like myself who don't have enough years left to do what we would like to do. I am currently working on my own route, from my own ideas, so when it is completed,.. guess what?.. I am the one who gets the most satisfaction from it, knowing that I put it all together from my own research. Don't miss out on that joy by letting someone else claim the glory.

Mate, there is no rush to create a wonderful layout. It all takes valuable time, which is precious to us all.

So make the most of it and study hard, do a course in 3D modelling, learn lots and make a few assets, then, like many others in Trainz, you put all that knowledge into practice and fulfill that dream of yours.

Remember, all of us started with no knowledge at all - we are all still learning.

Cheers mate; and if I'm still alive, I'll be looking out for your Tasmanian route.

Roy

Thank you very much Roy, I think the reason I asked in this forum was because I thought no one is going to create a 100 odd km route for free so I thought I'd ask about a few 100m museum which might have more meaning to people on here since the content dates back era's.

It would be good fun if this route did happen one day!

As long as the buildings are of some similarity then I'd be happy. What I like about other people's routes is I can't pick on them as they did all the hard work and they're always a good standard.

The "good standard" comes from practice. My first few Trainz routes never made it to the DLS. The first one that did was purely fictional (so no one could criticise its "accuracy"). All the rest have been based on track plans, maps and photos of actual routes and took a huge investment in time.

A 100 metre real route would be a good place to start and don't rush it because it WILL go through several updates before you think it is ready for release into the "wild". And "ready for release" is not the same as "finished" - a route is never "finished".

The "good standard" comes from practice. My first few Trainz routes never made it to the DLS. The first one that did was purely fictional (so no one could criticise its "accuracy"). All the rest have been based on track plans, maps and photos of actual routes and took a huge investment in time.

A 100 metre real route would be a good place to start and don't rush it because it WILL go through several updates before you think it is ready for release into the "wild". And "ready for release" is not the same as "finished" - a route is never "finished".

Yes they're valid points, thankyou!!!

I think another reason why Tasmanian content isn't extremely popular for creation is because not many Trainz users are from Tasmania and probably don't know heaps about Tasmanian railways narrow gauge track. Unfortunately from my point of view that's a downside but still there are still quite a bit of Tasmanian content available on the DLS so I guess it's a win win?

Back