T:ANE Slow w/AMD R9 290?

JakeTrainz

Trainz Content Creator
So, my friend who owns T:ANE came over and we installed it on my custom built PC to see how it runs. The install went fine, but the game seems to run slow even with the setting turned down. I felt my PC was more than adequate with an Intel Core i5 3570K (yes, I know Ivy Bridge is not the latest), ASUS R9 290 video card w/4GB GDDR5, 8GB (2x 4GB 1333Mhz) RAM, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I run Trainz at 1920x1080 and when I saw the incredible deal on the R9 290 back in December (2014), I grabbed it firguring it would furture proof me for T:ANE. I have the latest drivers from AMD's website. Is there any reason why the game seems to lag (10 - 20 fps)?

So, my friend who owns T:ANE came over and we installed it on my custom built PC to see how it runs. The install went fine, but the game seems to run slow even with the setting turned down. I felt my PC was more than adequate with an Intel Core i5 3570K (yes, I know Ivy Bridge is not the latest), ASUS R9 290 video card w/4GB GDDR5, 8GB (2x 4GB 1333Mhz) RAM, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I run Trainz at 1920x1080 and when I saw the incredible deal on the R9 290 back in December (2014), I grabbed it firguring it would furture proof me for T:ANE. I have the latest drivers from AMD's website. Is there any reason why the game seems to lag (10 - 20 fps)?

This has been the ongoing discussion surrounding TANE's performance. It will be slow on high end PCs (and fast on certain configurations??) For me I found disabling shadows to help performance the most. Your rig is more than capable of handling trainz, so I guess we just have to play the waiting game to see if future patches will help performance.

I let T:ANE auto-patch and it really helped. I also turned the shadows to low which helped too. Thw only problem I have now is that some textures look like a grid (almost pixely). Which setting would correct this?

Your CPU is superior to mine, http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-975-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3570K
But GPU is not as good, http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290X-vs-GeForce-GTX-980

But, mine did cost more, too. :(

I seem to run T:ANE just fine. That is on a CPU from 2009!

According to a little looking around, GTX 770 would be about the same as your GPU. So, maybe it is like the advice. Wait for update.

I know. Btw, I actually have an R9 290 (non "X") version, but it's still close to the R9 290X.

I let T:ANE auto-patch and it really helped. I also turned the shadows to low which helped too. Thw only problem I have now is that some textures look like a grid (almost pixely). Which setting would correct this?

Might be you need to increase the anti-aliasing setting, especially if it's still on the default of 2.

Back