Susquehanna (NYS&W) 1024x768

so far im missing like 92 dependencies, but once i get that cleared up ill be good, took it for a quick test spin, only thing i noticed negative so far is when leaving Butler, NJ the crossings do not stop the oncoming traffic, they just drive right through the trains. Ill work on those dependencies and try it again later.

I've noticed that the Proxing crossings seem to "lose" their support mast for crossing gates. They are also the only crossing at this time that take YARN road splines properly. And I got permission to reskin them to look like the older wood crossings as one would see in the 1940-1990 time period. (The one in the pic you cite is actually wrong and was fixed.)
Great route Adam, I love that industrial branch in your last set of screenshots. I have a fix for those floating gates, put the "pipe bollard galvanized" by gfisher on the DLS under the gates
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/mikeevanssski/Screen_020-1.jpg

so far im missing like 92 dependencies, but once i get that cleared up ill be good, took it for a quick test spin, only thing i noticed negative so far is when leaving Butler, NJ the crossings do not stop the oncoming traffic, they just drive right through the trains.

Only 92? :hehe: That's pretty good. Last time I downloaded a route and grabbed all the missing dependencies, it was over 150. Anymore I just try to get the track and textures.

One negative and no power of ten! :hehe: Amazing.

Yes, I used my whole content arsenal on this. I reskinned stations, crossings, and switchstands. Going to be lots of digging around for people. Fortunately, according to TrainzObjectz, there is only one "unknown" item, and I know what it is. It's a substation used for the Pennsy electrified line and it's on a French Trainz site. It's very optional.

I have noticed that cars go through some of the crossings. I'm not sure why that happens. Content issue of some sort. Oh well. Perhaps an Operation Lifesaver helo (helicopter) and trooper chase would fix this? :hehe: Not that OL is a laughing matter...

Thanks for the fix, Michael!

Does anyone have maps, diagrams, etc. showing the location of the WB&E, NYS&W, or SCRR in Wilkes-Barre? Moosic? James Guthrie of the New Jersey Midland Historical Society wrote an article on the line, but it's sadly OOP. I'd like to be as accurate as possible here as it dictates how this terminal is operated.

Thanks to MrScott2006, I have a Google Earth map of the WB&E and the SCRR! It's missing one spur that I can tell, but it is still very informative. So far it has helped me to correct the grade from JU Cabin down to Hainesburg Jct., to build the Delaware River bridge, and more accurately start the trackage into Stroudsburg. Woo hoo! Building the WB&E into Wilkes-Barre should be fun.

So far, no word from the beta-testers aside from locating some custom items for one tester.

Ben Neal's 6-coupled running gear (from the 4-6-0) placed under the Reading 4-4-0C yields an interesting, though backwards, result:

4007967146_444f527bb4_o.jpg

Thanks to Trunda's outstanding weeds and trees, I am now adding in his work to the Susquehanna. The changes/additions are worth the effort. It's simply an order of magnitude in improvement in appearance. They don't stand out too much, yet you can't not noticed an improvement. The colors are very natural. With the taller weeds already in place, there is a nice contrast in sizes such as you see along real ROWs.

4134173218_7cb1fa5a8d_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2742/4134172836_6e04d6f0e9_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29463457@N03/4133411039/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29463457@N03/4133410737/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2783/4133410601_43e1a21dfe_o.jpg

Also, after something like 5 or 6 months of trying, I finally got Windows Movie Maker to operate and got the Susquehanna video to save properly and uploaded to Youtube. All it needs is the narrator from Pentrex. It's not the greatest, but it's kinda cool. Check it out.

"Meet the Passaic Branch"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CjA94Q6i_k

Maybe I can find the time to edit and upload the others.

Last edited:
WOW. I agree that tundras trees make a big difference.

This looks great and I'm sure it's a lot of fun to drive on.

Keep up the great work! ^^

:wave:

Gisa ^^

As a further example of the kind of quality work I am pushing to produce with maps/layouts, I decided to take two small projects that I had "completed" and update them to these new, higher standards.

Metro Belt & Terminal v3, kuid2:45588:289130:2, was featured in the April 2001 issue of Model Railroader magazine. Version 1 has been available on the DLS. I had started updating it to version 2 when I started this re-tooling project, so version 2 never got uploaded.

Pennsylvania & Potomac Plan #26, kuid:45588:100020, is taken from "101 Trackplans for Model Railroaders" written by Linn Westcott and published by Kalmbach Publishing sometime around the last ice age. It was inadvertently never uploaded before. It includes a driveable road - just get in a driveable car and chase trains! You can even drive through the engine servicing area and around the passenger station. Layoutvision has a neat article on how to operate this layout. I recommend checking it out.

These two projects will give you an idea of what I am trying to accomplish with the Susquehanna.

I have to admitt that the railroad you are working on is amazing,but I wonder if the railroad had monster steam engines of the 2-10-2 catagory,if so, they will look great thundering down the tracks on your line!;)

Take no offense to this, however this route announcement thru screenshots (not in freeware which I somewhat applaud) was almost 1 year ago with what seemed to be a substancial amount of work already completed as stated this was started in late 2005.

While your last screenshot is superb, it also signifies this is far from completion.

We all know that route building takes time, but let's cut to the chase. My opinion is that if one (not totally directed to you) is announcing work / effort that is intended for release then the announcement / enticing screenshots should not be posted in a window more than 3 months from release.

Last edited:
I know this is not a screenshot topic but this seems the best place to post this rather than start a new thread.

There seems to be a problem with your Pennsylvania & Potomac Plan #26 upload. The file is only 13Kb in size and only seems to contain the config file. Also 2010 objects to the # sign in the name (another Auran "improvement"). I also seem to be missing a lot of your items plus some of Euphod's which are not on the DLS.

Take no offense to this, however this route announcement thru screenshots (not in freeware which I somewhat applaud) was almost 1 year ago with what seemed to be a substancial amount of work already completed as stated this was started in late 2005.

While your last screenshot is superb, it also signifies this is far from completion.

We all know that route building takes time, but let's cut to the chase. My opinion is that if one (not totally directed to you) is announcing work / effort that is intended for release then the announcement / enticing screenshots should not be posted in a window more than 3 months from release.

I thought this has been addressed in previous posts. Hmmm.

Yes, route completion takes time, especially when time is in great demand elsewhere. I'm not sure what you are applauding, though. As previously stated, once I discovered new, better content, I updated my standards. (If only people would stop creating better stuff...!) Had I not improved the materials I use, this would have been uploaded long ago. Of course, the balance between standards and project completion gets more difficult. I don't think there is an answer to this other than ignoring new content until a project is complete. Then it is immediately obsolete (just like your "new" computer).

I would agree with the 3 months rule of thumb, and when I started this thread, I was closer than that. At least I can't blame the beta-testers. I only ever heard back from one of them.

Many other projects have taken longer than this (see NKP Berkshire). I think this is the nature of one person working on a big project and I'd be surprised if it changes anytime soon. With Auran cutting off 04/06 creators, there is a significant deadline to upload whatever one has by September and than find another way to share new content.

I'll check out the P&P. It's a small project and maps are not usually large files. OTOH, I have had recent issues with Content Dispatcher (and Trainz) that have never cropped up before. I also know that my computer is slowly dying.

"Also 2010 objects to the # sign in the name (another Auran "improvement")"

What does this mean? Are you saying that it's pulling 2,010 objects out of the game or off the DLS? Does it run with your internet connection disabled?

Notice the track, road, and vegetation. Rather than relying on textures for foliage, the 3D content makes a HUGE difference. Also, the colors are more subtle, just like in real life, not too bright:
4311002007_2aef7457d3_o.jpg

The spur track in the background is buried in weeds. Very common and worth the work. Also, the road matches the rail height at the crossing.

4310999851_852fed3008_o.jpg

4311736748_1561948069_o.jpg

Even up close the scene holds up well. In comparison, the default plant life included pales in comparison, especially when side-by-side.

Sparta, New Jersey?

Remember this is Version 1. That means there will be future versions. Version 1 covers the line at its smallest, from West End to Butler, NJ. Future additions include extending the line to:

Sparta Jct. (Version 2),
to Hainesburg (Version 3),
to Stroudsburg, PA (Version 4, where current track laying has stopped), and
to Wilkes-Barre (Version 5).
Sparta, NJ? In Sussex County? I used to live there!
Doesn't Sparta Junction interchange with The Lehigh and Hudson River Railway.
The L&HRR's Headquarters used to be in Warwick, NY in Orange County, which is 30 minutes from where I live now.
The L&HRR connected the NYS&W with the Erie Railroad at Greycourt, NY via what is now the the Susie-Q's New Mainline.
~TTT100~

"Also 2010 objects to the # sign in the name (another Auran "improvement")"

What does this mean? Are you saying that it's pulling 2,010 objects out of the game or off the DLS? Does it run with your internet connection disabled?
CMP will not open the file because of an illegal character (#). I had to change the # to another character in a hex editor before I could open it and discover that all it contained was the config file. In the game all I got was an empty blue sky screen. As regards file size I would have expected it to be similar to your other route i.e. about 300Kb.

I prefer the "Susie-Q" from the 1960's with the miniskirt that they painted on at least one green 40' boxcar:

http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=34383

In the 1940's or so, a local newspaper printed a cartoon lampooning NYS&W's bankruptcy filing and Trustee Kidde's success in producing black ink from red. It was an old woman in a coffin riding the rails. She was sitting up looking forward, and the banner on the coffin said, "Funeral Postponed".

An eastbound stack train, SLN-4 at an underpass in Paterson, NJ caught me by surprise (gotta change those trucks!):

SLN-41.jpg

Hey?!?! Where'd my crossing signals go?!?!?:hehe:

SLN-45.jpg

SLN-47.jpg

SLN-413.jpg

SLN-417.jpg

SLN-414.jpg

SLN-424.jpg

Yes, the trim pieces on that station have been corrected. Somehow I missed them the first time.

SLN-425.jpg

Favorite photo spot - Marcal Paper by the Passaic River:
SLN-426.jpg

I keep counting ten pictures, not eleven, by the server insists IT is right, so I had to delete one...

Two things. One, there is a Lowe's there not a home depot. The second, where did you get that sd70?

Two things. One, there is a Lowe's there not a home depot. The second, where did you get that sd70?

Please don't quote images: it's a waste of bandwidth and it makes others wait longer for the page to load. If you quote his post, you can remove the pictures, but that okay because others will know which post you are referring to otherwise based on the text in them.

If you look at the trucks (which he said he had to swap out) we can deduce that it's a reskin of a BNSF SD70 (as they had that colour trucks). I don't know if Cincy ever released the reskin (or had permission to) but hopefully that will help answer your question.

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Back