Suggestions for upgrade of current system specs?

d0g

Hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a new PC. To clarify, I'm not thinking about physically upgrading the one I have, but getting a new one. The one I'm currently using is around 10 years old, so I figure it's probably in it's last couple years. I've been running Trainz 2010 on it, and it's been running fairly decent, although I would like to see a little improvement. With my current system, about the only Trainz performance issues I run into are when trying to populate a railyard with equipment, and when super-detailing routes. I'd like to be able to run Trainz 12 on the new system, too. I have a large route I'm working on, so I'll need a system with specs fairly higher than recommended or minimum. Does anybody have any suggestions as far as what to upgrade to boost performance?

My current specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, 64-bit
AMD Athlon dual-core processor 5000+ @ 2.6 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 3850 video card
4 GB RAM
232 GB C-drive

As I said, I've been using this system for about 10 years and have had very little to complain about, but I'd just like something a little beefier. I'm not quite sure where to start with a new system. Any input would be appreciated.

A lot depends on your budget. Decide how much you want to spend, and more specific advise can be offered.

Another factor is that you mention Trainz 12. What about T:ANE? Will you be interested in that? Because the required or optimum hardware requirements will affect your choices now.

Also, there are many threads in this forum on this subject, and some good suggestions already posted. Have a good read through and then post any further questions you may have.

Just to clarify again, I'm wanting an entirely new system, not to physically upgrade my current one. I did some research, and came up with a candidate with the following specs:

Windows 7 Pro Edition, 64-bit
i5-4440 quad core processor @ 3.1 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB hard drive
Nvidea GTX 650 vid card
400 W power supply
ASRock H81M-HDS mobo

The main thing I'm not sure of is the video card, it's 1 gig. I'm not sure if this would cause a decline in performance as opposed to a 2 gig. I'd be running Trainz 10 and 12, possibly T:ANE, but not necessarily. Thanks!

Last edited:
If you also want it to run T:ANE, it needs to be a quad-core processor (as it cannot be guaranteed at this stage that a dual core is sufficient).

Shane

If that's the case, at this stage it's a case of checking that the graphics card you mention supports DirectX 11. If it does, and the power supply can handle what's in the system (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp may help with this), then it should run all the versions you mention, including T:ANE (be aware though - the requirements for T:ANE are subject to change)
Shane

Just to clarify again, I'm wanting an entirely new system, not to physically upgrade my current one. I did some research, and came up with a candidate with the following specs:

Windows 7 Pro Edition, 64-bit
i5-4440 quad core processor @ 3.1 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB hard drive
Nvidea GTX 650 vid card
400 W power supply
ASRock H81M-HDS mobo

The main thing I'm not sure of is the video card, it's 1 gig. I'm not sure if this would cause a decline in performance as opposed to a 2 gig. I'd be running Trainz 10 and 12, possibly T:ANE, but not necessarily. Thanks!

I'd go a minimum of 500 watt power supply. Home Premium Win 7 gives you the same performance, 2 terabyte hard drive wouldn't cost much more.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-8.html

At the same price point Tomshardware thinks the Radeon R7 260X is better value, I suggest the 2 gig version which would be an additional $20.

Western Digital Black drives are warranted for 5 years not 2 so I’d be tempted by a 2 gig WD Black hard drive.

Cheerio John

To the OP - If you are interested in selling your current processor, I would be interested in buying it from you if you would be willing to sell it to me. PM me if you are interested. Their market value is $25 and I need one of those so I can use my desktop again.
(I have a sempron single core CPU, it's incredibly unreliable to do anything I use my laptop for, but I want a stationary server again)

Last edited:
Well, I took my list of components to the friend that will be building it for me, and he made some suggestions, which he said would boost performance well enough to be well worth the extra money. The new specs are below:

MOBO: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz AM3+ 125W 8-core processor
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: Western Digital 1 TB
PSU: Corsair 750W
GPU: XFX R9-270X 2GB 256-bit GDDR5
240GB SSD Hard Drive

Does anybody have any input? I'm not really sure how much improved the performance would be compared to the first set of specs; the operation of Trainz included. I'm trying to figure out if the improvements would be worth the few hundred extra dollars.

Well, I took my list of components to the friend that will be building it for me, and he made some suggestions, which he said would boost performance well enough to be well worth the extra money. The new specs are below:

240GB SSD Hard Drive

Does anybody have any input? I'm not really sure how much improved the performance would be compared to the first set of specs; the operation of Trainz included. I'm trying to figure out if the improvements would be worth the few hundred extra dollars.

Well six of the eight cores would sit idle in TS12, just adding extra heat. Toms http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

lists the cpus, I'd suggest an Intel i3 or i5 but if you want a go faster stripe down the side then 8 cores is the way to go.

Cheerio John

T:ANE supports multicore technology from what I hear. I'm also looking for an 8 core Xeon proc for a future build if I don't buy my iMac.

240GB SSD Hard Drive

Think you would have better gaming performance CPU wise with the i5 4440 see here http://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks...6_61,1117_61/?c_test=32&PROCESS=Show+Selected

Have to agree with Malc, there. The i5 would likely be superior in most use-case scenarios.
Changing the CPU back to Intel again dictates a change in motherboard (socket type) but not necessarily mobo manufacturer.
Applaud the move to an SSD - that certainly makes a big performance difference in Trainz.
Biggest influence on performance for T2 is likely to be your DirectX 11-capable GPU. (The faster the better.)
I have an Asus R9 280x DC2 TOP (3Gb DDR5) that I recently acquired and I'm delighted with its performance.
I managed to get my hands on it before all the Bitcoin miners discovered their superb computation performance capabilities and thus avoided the now-highly-inflated prices for AMD's Tahiti and Hawaii chips.
But I probably would have been just as happy if I had bought the comparable nVidia GTX 770 with the same cooler from Asus at the time. They are certainly much better value for money at present.
Good hunting! Let us know what you end up buying or building.
Cheers,
PC

I'll do a little more research and see what I can come up with. The fact of the matter is, right now I have a dual core CPU at 2.6 GHz and an ATI 3850 GPU, which is not even a 1GB card. So I'm thinking it wouldn't really be hard for anything to blow it out of the water. Still plenty of time to make a decision though. Thanks for all the input.

Taking into consideration the fact that Trainz would not be able to utilize all 8 cores of the 8320, and MSTS and Ship Simulator likely in the same boat, I'm considering moving toward an I5-4570 CPU and a GTX 660. Any thoughts?

Back