Strange Train Prototypes

pretty much yeah. The idea was that here you have a shortage of locomotives due the war. You've got a huge host of steam engines, and the catenary is already in place, but you don't have the electrics to fill the needed trains. So you work with what you have.

Mechanically, they wouldn't be that complicated. The pantograph would provide power into the boiler, using a resistor or system similar to a oh, space heater. It would just need to be a constant bit of power, not that much at all even. Then, all the engine has to worry about is water.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was just talking about how it wouldn't make sense to build an electric steamer from the ground up, which I was pretty sure they didn't do, but you never know.

Sounds sensible. No money spent on coal, more space for water and no need to make expensive new locos (convert the old steamies)

OH MY GOD METAL GEAR!

This is a photoshopped image of the Dora Railgun, used by the German at the Sevastopol assedy during WW2.
The hole of the barrel had a diameter of 80 cm (the Iowa battleship had "only"40,6 cm) and every shot took 7 tons of explosive about 45 km far away. A barrel lasted for a maximum of 100 hots and to move, the gun needed two complete trains and for locomotive. These locomotive has been connected into two double body units during the run and used one each o the extremity of the to rails that supported the gun during operation (that builded a "balistic curve") to move the monster on he right posiotio because such a gun cannot be rotated.

Some where in my house I have a picture of a single truck heisler there was only one ever built and it was custom built for s
shoreline stone products

There were quite alot of different types of rail guns (coastal defence) (German, British, US) from WWI on, and that one I believe was truely mounted to the twin flatcars (and photoshopped to look like star wars) and had a barrel equal to the size of the USS New Jersy that absolutely pounded the Lebanon coast years ago. In the US Civil war there was a real fat rail cannon that shot cannon balls.

On DLS is a M1 Abrams tank that actually fires multiple times, repetitively on it's own (quite anoying)...I would like to see this animation and sound done to a rail cannon in Trainz, that fires when you hit the "Horn" button.

There is quite alot of millitary stuff...Civil War and on... people, flags, artilliary, ships, and locos on DLS that one could re-enact an actual battle in history.
Even Confederates!? O Goodie now the Union has Lost the War!!!!!!!:hehe::hehe:

I captured the "Auran" Flag on DLS !

Yes Union & Confederate soldiers, flags and cannons...perhaps some British soldiers...and we could totally change the revolutionary and civil war(s) outcomes in Trainz battlefield re-enactments !:cool:

this is a single truck heisler this pic is of the only one ever made.
notice the smoke stack just above the cab, it had a reverse flue boiler

Listow and Ballybunion Monorail

That I am still working on in Trainz must be in this group. Trains and info on ING.

Tom

Slightly off topic, but why do southerners not realize how bad it would have been for them if the confederacy would have won the war? Seriously, the economy of the CSA was one of the worse in the world. While the North had the industrial production and a majority of the resources, the south was mainly focused around agriculture and plantations. This was because the climate was better for it. Because of this, the industrial production of the south during the war was much less than the north. Also during this time the CSA's government was printing money with reckless abandon. This caused rampant inflation to the point that the exchange rate between the dollar and the confederate dollar would have been phenomenal. Post war, the economy would have collapsed even further due to the fact that there would have been no reconstruction effort from the north, thus leading to more inflation, and the eventual collapse of the CSA and there would either be a revolution, or the Union would have reabsorbed the failing nation of the CSA. This was one of the main reasons why the CSA surrendered in the first place. Trust me, the defeat of the CSA by Union forces was pretty much the best outcome that could have happened for the south.

Oh, and back on topic
U50C-5006.jpg

Also, how about this,
blw60.jpg

Which was the precursor to this,
blw68.jpg

During WW2, Germany had a number of rail guns. The largest of these (mistakenly called "Gustav") was "Dora".

Dora was huge. In fact, here's a drawing of her.

http://www.aopt91.dsl.pipex.com/railgun/images/Railguns/Dora/doracol.jpg

Note, she rested on FOUR immense flatcars, straddling two tracks. Her bore was 80cm, with a shell weighing 7tons, and a barrel length around 30 meters long. Since the barrel only had vertical movement, the tracks were curved to allow for side to side movement and traverse. Her range was about 29 to 30 miles (depending on conditions she could get even further) and took a crew of 2000 to maintain and build over a six week period, and 250 to fire.

http://www.vincelewis.net/myimages19/dorashelllll.jpg

This man is standing beside one of her shells. One was enough to level a city block, or destroy even the most hardened of bunkers.

During their firing (Gustav, Dora's Brother gun was a few meters smaller) the two guns managed to level a number of locations in Sevastapol. During the attack, Gustav opened up on the coastal defense batteries. Though it had been pounded time and time again by bombers; to no avail, Gustav managed to destroy it in eight shells. Fort Stalin was destroyed later the same day, with only six shells.

Nine rounds were fired at Fort White Cliff, just off the bay, with one lucky shot hitting the ammunition locker and blowing the entire fort up. One of these shots went wild, striking a cruiser in the bay and sinking it with all hands.

With all the major targets gone, the guns were fired seven more times at nothing in particular. It's rumored one target was even a lone tank caught out in the open, but as there was nothing left after the shell would have struck it, this can't be confirmed.

It was decided later, that the guns were too unwieldy, and their use was discontinued.

Back