Stow-Cum-Quy

Lord-Claud-Hamilton

Happy with the one Star >
Stow-Cum-Quy is a small 'Model Railway' type layout I built for my Dad to use on Christmas Day. It is based on the actual station situated just outside this little village located a few miles North East of Cambridge.

Dad has lived in Stow-Cum-Quy for many years but unfortunately he has terminal Lung Cancer and has been to ill to use the layout. He is currently in Hospital.

The station, which is now closed, is on the Cambridge - Fordham - Mildenhall branch line. The layout is set in Autumn, so as well as the usual Pick-up Goods Trains there would also be many, many tons of Sugar Beat transported along the line. Vast quantities were loaded at Stow-Cum-Quy. There was also a large Brick Works at Exning that provided traffic in LNER days.

Passenger services were dealt with by small tank Loco's (such as the J69) and 0-6-0 Tender Loco's (such as the J15) and two or three coaches. In BR times, DMU's and Railbus's also worked the branch.

As I said above, the layout is designed like a model railway, so has a 'Fiddle Yard' at each end. These can easily be deleted and replaced with a portal if you wish. The layout also provided me with the opportunity to practice with an 'Autumn atmosphere' for another route I have planned for the future.

Most content will be on the DLS. If you have downloaded my other routes then I suspect that you will have much of the 'Off-DLS' stuff already. I will work through the list and post something soon.

My PC crashed today Chris, so this was the first layout I've downloaded tonight and it's absolutely brilliant, as all yours are....:p

I may add other layouts on at each end, as it was a bit too small a route for me, any passenger trains had nowhere to go, so I'll expand it a bit. However, the attention to detail is again stunning, especially the trees by Jankvis, they're superb. I'll pop some screenies up in the gallery later.

Thanks a lot, and best wishes with your next project.....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Back