Steam version tripping AV software

cofergus

Actually, I have two questions here, completely unrelated but I thought I'd put them in one post.

I purchased the Steam version of Trainz 2009, and every time I launch it my AV software trips telling me it's Trojaned. I'm sure the program isn't actually Trojaned but it's annoying nonetheless. Anyone know why this happens?

My second question is about content, and I'm guessing this is because of my lack of knowledge about how to use Trainz.
The screenshots for TS2009 show some rather impressive models and textures.. yet it still looks like the majority of art is v2006 or earlier? I take it updated models and textures and the like are available through the content manager?

Thanks

Hello,

Where did you purchase the "steam version" of 2009. To date, there is no steam version. 2009 is available on DVD or Digital download through the Auran store and, though I could be wrong, I do not believe it is available on the open market other than from Auran. Is it possible you are referring to TC3 which has a large amount of british steam?

Currently, there is very little "native" 2009 content available. Most content is older from the earlier versions 1.3 and up to TC1/2 but not including TC3.

Content creators are working to create new content and recently new textures and trees have been added. Search the Forum for a list of 09 content that is currently available.

Bricey

My utmost appologies. I did not realize there was a company simply called "Steam". If you are experiencing problems with the media from that company then you should contact them for support.

Bricey

My utmost appologies. I did not realize there was a company simply called "Steam". If you are experiencing problems with the media from that company then you should contact them for support.

Bricey

No worries. I may contact Steam support and see what mods they've done to the exec. I get the warning from "Tranz.exe" though so I thought it might have been something Auran had done.

Only thing Steam does to the .exe is modify out the current DVD CD protect software for their own. Which does pretty much the same thing... prevents from pirating.

It also requires Steam to be running (online or offline mode) to use the game.

Steams programs are bullet proof, your AV software probably has an issue with Steam itself as it watches you. Though Steam is completly harmless it may be triggering the alerts because of it's background actions. See if you can find a function that allows the AV software to ignore Steam and its associated programs.

Last edited:
Only thing Steam does to the .exe is modify out the current DVD CD protect software for their own. Which does pretty much the same thing... prevents from pirating.

It also requires Steam to be running (online or offline mode) to use the game.

Steams programs are bullet proof, your AV software probably has an issue with Steam itself as it watches you. Though Steam is completly harmless it may be triggering the alerts because of it's background actions. See if you can find a function that allows the AV software to ignore Steam and its associated programs.

I'd be inclined to agree if it wasn't for the fact that out of a dozen+ steam applications, "trainz.exe" is the only one that trips the AV software. I might load it up with filemon and see what it touches that the other applications don't.

Like I said, I'm not worried, and I don't mind disabling my AV software while I run the game.. it's just annoying and it's one of those little mysteries one just has to solve...

I have found that if Steam is running in the background and you add new content with CM2 that 09 may not start, it hangs on the loading screen.

I have found that if Steam is running in the background and you add new content with CM2 that 09 may not start, it hangs on the loading screen.

I never had that issue, though I did have it CTD a few times after I kept starting it, closing it, and adding stuff through the content manager, then relaunching. A reboot fixed that though.

Both CMP and CM2 are NOT what I'd call robust software. You'll be a lot happier if you do nothing else while they are downloading from the DLS, commiting a bunch of kuids or if it's rebuilding or repairing.

Bob

Back