Steam on the Harbour: Darling Harbour's working trains

Thanks, now that I turned on rail graphics in Google Earth I see the tracks. I rode the Light Rail from Central Station to the Circular Quay on the morning of the 2015 Sydney Marathon. Is that part of the same system?

Thanks, now that I turned on rail graphics in Google Earth I see the tracks. I rode the Light Rail from Central Station to the Circular Quay on the morning of the 2015 Sydney Marathon. Is that part of the same system?
I went back and looked. I'm glad a good portion of the line is still in service. It's too bad that the portion from the station through the tunnel wasn't part of the light rail system. A part of that is now a walking trail similar to the skywalk in NYC.

The line from Central Station to Circular Quay is the L2/L3. They cross the L1 near Central Station.

Sydney, which had one of the largest light rail (or tram) network in the world but it was all gone by the 1960s, is undergoing a light rail revival. Along with the L1, L2 and L3 another line (as yet unnumbered) will be opening in a few months closer to where I live. I started a thread on this new line at vale-carlingford-line-1888-2020

It's too bad that the portion from the station through the tunnel wasn't part of the light rail system. A part of that is now a walking trail similar to the skywalk in NYC.
I have travelled by train through that tunnel when the entire line was still open but used only for loco transfers and the occasional tour train. The tunnel bypasses Central Station and emerges in the station yards so it would have been impractical to use it for the light rail. Until a few years ago the tunnel was still in use as a means of transferring rolling stock between the rail network and the Powerhouse Museum where some historic rolling stock was on display. The museum is now being moved out to Parramatta and the runnel line stub is no longer in use.

Back