Steam in a circle!

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
A lot of people on here may never get the thrill of being in the cab of a steam engine, fewer still will ever touch the throttle, brakes, or whistle. And fewer still will ever do it for a living.

So for you few, at least you can enjoy this. This was about a month ago while I was running the ex-Georgetown Loop 40 around the Colorado Railroad Museum with the varnish consist (RPO 60, Coach 280 and 284, and Business car Rico) during a crew training day at the museum during a snow storm. My friend Sean was filming for me, as you can see, I was busy.

So for you few, join me running around in circles till you want to throw up!

[video]http://s6.photobucket.com/user/will107/media/CRRM40075_zps79d82cf1.mp4.html[/video]

That does indeed look like fun.

I myself have had cab rides in about 5 different locomotives, one of those even being one of the standard passenger trains that run around Brisbane.

I've blown a steam locomotive whistle before too. Wonderful experience that was.

40 is a great engine to run. Not my personal favorite, but by far one of the most modern steamers I've operated. Shay 9 is more like a tractor compared to the 40, despite being 3 years newer. And little 12, being 8 years newer, lacked things as basic as a proper throttle (12's throttle was a ball valve). 40 has a pilot valve built into the throttle, so you can admit a small amount of steam without going too crazy for crawling around the yard. The other locomotive which should be running at the loop in a few years time, Ex-IRCA 111 (from the same basic design as 40, and off the same railroad) is equipped with a front end throttle like larger engines such as 4449 and 844, although its rare on a small narrow gauge steamer. It should be fun to play with that little bit of technology.

Klinger , It has been fun watching and listening to your experiences at becoming a steam engineer . It is great to see someone in these times fulfill the dream and reality of such a passion . I envy and Tip My Hat to you .
... ,dave

Ditto to all above, would love to have been able to see outside the cab but it sure looked like a lot of fun!

Klinger, you're so teasing us right now, it's not even funny! :hehe: Good God I love old IRCA 40; she's stylish, yet still has that same brand of rugged, brutish and powerful look I've come to expect, know and love from every Colorado NG loco. I had to fight the urge to take her home with me when I went to Golden a few years back as my senior graduation trip...part of it anyway. Keep on steaming, you old looker.

Ditto to all above, would love to have been able to see outside the cab but it sure looked like a lot of fun!

The weather was terrible that day, so my little camera could not pick up anything outside the cab in the video.

I did take some pictures though.

CRRM40037_zpsc0372bce.jpg

CRRM40038_zpsab6339dd.jpg

CRRM40042_zps98b88f46.jpg

CRRM40047_zps0d419db5.jpg

CRRM40063_zpsbd8eced1.jpg

CRRM40069_zps314d8ddf.jpg

CRRM40081_zpsa50a0c48.jpg

I had to end with a picture of myself...

:p

Back in college, just after I got out of HS, I actually got to work for a railroad...sorta. I was hired to work for a grain company in Cornelia Ga, where I spent most of my time cursing the remote control unit that I was tasked with operating. Thing was BUGGY as anything, but it was an interesting job none the less. It started as an old battered SW1500 (may have been a 1200...I dunno) which worked beautifully. Then in a fit of "hey let's upgrade" the company picked up a pair of trackmobile units. Now don't get me wrong, the Trackmobile worked fine, but it had a very bad habit of going buggy. By buggy I mean totally ignoring your inputs and doing whatever the hell it wanted to do. Eventually the company figured out that there was something wrong in the way it was picking up the signals, but I digress. Once the thing was fixed, work was actually better, more so since it was easier to run around your cars. Hop in the cab, lower the road wheels, raise the track ones and just drive the thing around the train. Like driving a big forklift really. That's not to say even then there weren't problems. One comes to mind that I thought I'd share. I still laugh about this, more so because it wasn't my fault. Sure, people could have gotten hurt, but it's still funny.

One morning, while taking my lunch break, the second guy that worked the yard came in. He didn't stay long, just grabbed his lunch and control belt and headed back outside to eat on the go. We weren't supposed to do that, but sometimes the work load was enough that we'd do it anyway. In any case, I'm sitting there when I hear my boss ask me totally in a deadpan voice "Why is your cut moving down the lead?" Blinking I looked up and reached for my control belt hitting the emergency stop, only to have it do nothing. My unit and its six little ducklings trundled past the loading tower, out onto the lead and made it to the derail (about a mile down the line) before it put its paws on the ground. All the while the engine of the TM was screaming and spitting, like it WANTED to wander off.

Turned out that when the other guy came in for lunch, he'd grabbed the wrong belt. So there he was, standing at the end of his cut, wondering why the heck his unit wasn't moving...while all the while mine was going on its merry little adventure. Thankfully it didn't take long to clean up, and no one was hurt. Couple days later I came on my shift to find the control belts labeled with these HUGE stick on numbers and letters that read "CONTROL UNIT 1" and "CONTROL UNIT 2." As if to add insult to injury, Belt two had what looked to be BRIGHT PINK paint on it. So we'd never get them mistaken again.

Sometime, ask me about the time I got a speeding ticket in the TM. That too is a funny story.

Back