Speedtrees by Russian creators - name translations

Environmental controls can tame the brightness a bit, they are not all that colour, size? well we don't have many giant Trees in the UK, that's always been a problem previously, trying to find smaller Trees from what's on the DLS.

Yup on both accounts. It's the same here with trees across the pond. We once had big trees, giant oaks, very large eastern spruce, cedars, pines, and maples. Then there were schooners, farmsteads, houses, and barns. Now we have shrubs... :)

I look forward to the much smaller, less intrusive trees which I'm used to.

John

..It could have all been avoided if they were put up in English to begin with. There have been quite a few assets loaded up recently that the name doesn't give an indication to what it is, nor the description and nor the thumbnail, pretty unhelpful really..

I agree on both counts Ian - language and thumbnails.

The 'username' and 'description' tags are mandatory and meant to contain English text, while support for non-English text is available via 'username-xx' and 'description-xx' tags. In too many assets we see non-English text in the 'username' and 'description' fields - which is technically wrong and a pain in the caboose. N3V seem unwilling to enforce their standard, so this doesn't even produce a warning.

On the other hand, they don't mind tampering with perfectly legal English-language assets and adding various, seemingly random, non-English tags to the configs of built-in assets. I've never seen it go the other way where, for example, an asset with a German name in the (supposedly English) username field is corrected to make it English and move the German text into a username-de field. Perhaps I've misunderstood the rules, or not looked hard enough for examples of such corrections, but in any case there are many inconsistencies and double-standards in this area.

Uninformative thumbnails (or 'thumpnails' as one creator keeps calling them :eek:) - again a great source of annoyance. It's so quick and easy to make a reasonable thumbnail image compared to the effort needed to make the asset itself. I think it's the height of laziness to use generic logos instead of showing each individual asset. Once again however, this sin does not attract a warning or an error, so the practice continues.

But none of that impinges on or diminishes the quality of the assets, just makes them harder to find when you're looking for them.

Last edited:
Posted on DLS palms. Tomorrow should be available for download. Called st_rmm_palma*** . Icon now contains a picture of a tree.

A correction to table names:

Elka - Spruce
DT -
Dead tree

Will the modified trees ( English Names) work for Multi-player as they have been changed from the original ?

Not sure if Multi-Player is sensitive to changes in username - it's a good question though. Hopefully somebody else will answer that.

I've corrected the table entry for Elka and added Palma (thanks again to rmm).

Actually looking at the trees right now and I picked up the pack from RMM website and TANE marks them as modified anyway which is not right. So depending on how you got the assets they may not work anyway.

Actually looking at the trees right now and I picked up the pack from RMM website and TANE marks them as modified anyway which is not right. So depending on how you got the assets they may not work anyway.

That's normal as anything imported from a third party site or using FTP from the DLS is always marked as modified be it 2009,10 TS12 or T:ANE.
Use Content manager to download from the DLS and they are not marked as modified.

I meant that Multi-Player doesn't like modified assets and may spit them out as unuseable.

Ah, I'm with you now, brain a bit slow as it's just gone 2AM here.

I downloaded all of them from the DLS, came in quite fast actually at around 650 to 700KB/s.

Finally had a chance to actually look at a few of these myself. They look really good. Someone remarked earlier that they were all the same shade of green, but they are not.

I've edited the table again and made Lipa = Linden. Lindens are also called Lime trees but in fact they are not part of the citrus family. Having seen the model now, it's definitely not a fruit tree, so Linden is the better name for it. They are also known as Basswood trees (botanists have a lot to answer for).

Last edited:
Thanks Deane this sounds great! Though I don't have my copy of TANE yet I'm eager to check them out. Are there any screenshots of them on the forum yet?

There are one or two pictures in the thread started by the author of these trees, rmm.

Here's a quick one from me. Impossible to cram all in one shot, but just some examples.

Speedtrees%20by%20rmm.jpg~original

Thanks for the shot. They look pretty good! I really like the dead trees. That was something I always wished we had in the past. I think those will fit in nicely on the Frisco High Line.

Hi Deane,

Thank you for creating the chart of treez and updates. :)

I have copied this into a Word doc which I can convert to a PDF should anyone want an offline copy which I'll place up on my SkyDrive once the updates are finalized.

John

Is this a new one as I cant find it on the list above or on my install?

uploaded to DLS.
st_rmm_gr_rogoz1_466_1m <KUID2:211025:21012:1>

also loaded with new bushes:

st_rmm_kust19_106_2m <KUID2:211025:21006:1>
st_rmm_kust20_134_2m <KUID2:211025:21007:1>
st_rmm_kust21_576_2m <KUID2:211025:21008:1>
st_rmm_kust22_2082_3m <KUID2:211025:21009:1>
st_rmm_kust23_295_3m <KUID2:211025:21010:1>
st_rmm_kust24_805_5m <KUID2:211025:21011:1>

Stuff looks really good:

trees1.jpg

Only problem, the tree(<kuid2:211025:20214:1> st_rmm_kust16-d5_s_547_10m) all the way on the right was placed all the way to the left next to the little bush.

There is a placement problem.

Harold

Back