Speed tree textures acting odd

wpn96

My first thread post sine the forums changed servers.

Anyways,

So my issue here is that there are a bunch of trees on the Tidewater Point Railroad from JR, showing these weird white spots/imperfections as I go along the route.

IDK if you can see the photo well enough, if at all, but it shows the trees in the distance sort of flickering between the white texture and what the tree texture is supposed to look like.

Could it be my graphics card or the speedtrees themselves.

Also, please let me know if you can see the image. I'm using imgur.com.

Thanks,
William

There has been discussion on here about that. I don't remember what the cure was because I didn't have that issue.

Hi William, William here. As others have said updating your drivers should fix your issue unless you have a card that is too old to handle the newest drivers. The last I heard N3V had discovered that not all cards will support the drivers that will solve the issue. Not heard anything for a long time on this issue so I have no idea where it stands if your card like mine won't support the proper drivers. The newest drivers I could get was 474.66 and trainz would not start using those drivers.

William

Hello everyone! Sorry for the late response. So I've read the responses and I tried to install the latest drivers for my graphics card but it keeps saying that it "failed". I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 by the way.

Hi William, William here. As others have said updating your drivers should fix your issue unless you have a card that is too old to handle the newest drivers. The last I heard N3V had discovered that not all cards will support the drivers that will solve the issue. Not heard anything for a long time on this issue so I have no idea where it stands if your card like mine won't support the proper drivers. The newest drivers I could get was 474.66 and trainz would not start using those drivers.

William
What card do you have?

I have a GTX 1050 Ti card but the supposed issue is that I use Win 7 Pro which despite the untruths spread by N3V runs even the latest version of Trainz Plus just fine. The newest driver available to me is 474.66 and as with wpn96 the Nvidia installs all fail. I did force the driver to install using device manager and most everything on the PC ran just fine but all my versions of Trainz from TANE to Trainz Plus refused to start citing the failure to initialize the renderer. So I uninstalled the driver and went back to what works.

As per Zec, this issue began when the devs saw a new feature available in only the latest drivers that they wanted to incorporate in the graphic engine. Now while it is normally true that you can install newer drivers on older hardware, (my card was made in 2016) it is not always the best thing to do. Often the newest driver adds nothing to the performance of older cards since the enhancements only target newer gpu chips and can in fact degrade the performance of older cards. My PC is tuned for video editing and photo editing which are massively important to me at this time in my life and Trainz is not that important any more. I use software that doesn't run on Win 10 or I would upgrade.

To me, the bottom line is that this new feature only effects content made by a single user and only some of that user's assets are effected. I think it is perfectly fair of me to tell N3V to either fix the broken content or delete it from the game. Requiring users to install the newest versions of graphic card drivers to play a game that ran perfectly well before they updated it is just nonsense. They could at the very least offer a download of the game from before they broke it so that users can rollback to a version without the issue they introduced in the latest version.

The latest beta patch released yesterday appears to have fixed this issue without the need to update the driver. This leads me to conclude that it was a bug all along and updating the driver was just a "happy accident" that gave the appearance of being a solution.

Back