Some questions from a new user.

ckthomson

I got my copy of TRS2006+sp1 around the end of november, and it's taking me a bit of time to wrap my head around. While I do, I was wondering a few things:

Firstly, will there be another service pack being released? I notice that TRS2004 got 4 of them, I'm hoping that Auran will show the same dedication to repairing and improving their current product.

Secondly, how are so many 'broken' assetts making it through the approval phase of the uploading procedure? In an average download session I find I have to delete, disable, repair, or flat out re-download at least one item, often more.. I can accept that from other sites - I usually end up missing at least one dependency - but unless it's because I don't own TRS2004, I can't see how approved content could have missing deps, etc.

Thirdly, I purched the full program DVD off the Auran site, complete with SP1 on CD. The DVD version I bought has the volume label 'TRS2006DVDLite', but the purchase page and the launcher both state that I have the 'full version'. Is this just a mess-up at the pressing plant, or the source of my "missing" dependencies mentioned above?

As Auran haven't created a "general discussion" forum, I hope this post is at least somewhat on-topic for this area. If not, please forward it to the appropriate forum (mods).

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

I would imagine there would be a second but final SP for '06 within the next 4-5 months - this is based on the fact that TRS Classics is scheduled for around May of this year - just five months away.

Things can be uploaded to the DLS whether there are the correct dependencies up there or not, but there are also several obsolete tags that flag as errors in '06, as well as progressive meshes. There are often bits missing from configs as well, which can flag errors.

The thing about '04 is that it didn't have the same error-checking ability that '06 has, which is why it is mostly older assets that have faults. It is also possible to inadvertantly include items installed on your own PC that aren't uploaded to the DLS, then when the route is uploaded there are bits missing.

There used to be a General forum, but they didn't put another on after the forum crashed (probably this was before you joined the community). I would like to see it back, but unfortunately it just got abused. There were some interesting threads in there :(

TRS '06 is much more strict about the format of content than previous versions were; it flags errors on many things that were just ignored by previous versions. That's why much of the content written for earlier versions (especially that content written before '06 was out) will be flagged as having errors.

edit: BidMod beat me to the punch :)

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies.

Currently, and this is almost 100% surely NOT the reccommended (sp?) practice, I am just outright deleting the offending tags rather than reformatting things to fit the way TRS2006 handles "bad" tags. I have grabbed a nice set of "how to fix broken stuff" tutorials, and am wading my way through them as best I can.

One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is how to "comment out" broken tags so that the information is preserved for future reference. Do any other users, or any of the Auran staff, have any information on this?

Currently, and this is almost 100% surely NOT the reccommended (sp?) practice, I am just outright deleting the offending tags rather than reformatting things to fit the way TRS2006 handles "bad" tags. I have grabbed a nice set of "how to fix broken stuff" tutorials, and am wading my way through them as best I can.

One thing I don't see mentioned anywhere is how to "comment out" broken tags so that the information is preserved for future reference. Do any other users, or any of the Auran staff, have any information on this?
Deleting the offending tags is one way and works most of the time but you'll break anything using BlueStar couplers if you just blow away the tags. There are other examples where the tags are needed by scripts as well. There's no way I know of commenting a config, Auran didn't seem keen on adding it although it was asked for.

Paul

One way of commenting a tag is to move it inside the double-quotes of the description tag but you will need to delete or change it's own double-quotes. The description tag can extend over as many physical lines as desired. For example, and changing double-quotes to dollar signs:

Before:
crazytag "nonsense"
description "my wonderful loco"

After:
description "my wonderful loco
crazytag $nonsense$"

There may be better ways!

Bear in mind that if you change a config.txt file or any other aspect of an asset, don't expect its creator to provide any support should you run into problems.

Hope this helps, John

One way of commenting a tag is to move it inside the double-quotes of the description tag but you will need to delete or change it's own double-quotes. The description tag can extend over as many physical lines as desired. For example, and changing double-quotes to dollar signs:

Before:
crazytag "nonsense"
description "my wonderful loco"

After:
description "my wonderful loco
crazytag $nonsense$"

There may be better ways!

Bear in mind that if you change a config.txt file or any other aspect of an asset, don't expect its creator to provide any support should you run into problems.

Hope this helps, John

As soon as I start modding anything for any game I expect all my rights to support to go out the window

This is an interesting way of doing things, I might have to try it out at some point and see if it works for me.

Cheers,
Craig.

Auran has stated that there will be no more service packs for TRS2006.

If that was on the old forum, I wasn't a member before the crash. Whether or not they release any more SPs is of little consequence, as I'll probably be buying the next product in the Trainz series (and maybe even TRS2004 as well).

Cheers,
Craig.

Back