Slight problem

Hi big-b,

Yes I can borrow a disk, but if you are fitting a brand new HDD for the OS to go on how can it know what the previous serial number was? Still I can but try. I have been trying to get in touch with Microsoft in Wellington but they have one of these phone systems that keep you hanging on for hours.
Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers
Bill69

The serial number has nothing to do with the HDD it the number that came with the XP Disk It should be on a sticker In the box or in the xp manual

Dave

Hi big_b,

Yes I've got the serial number ok., but that one wont work with a different disk. Each xp disk will have it's own serial number, just like Trainz disks have their own serial numbers. No??? Therefore if I can't get microsoft to replace it for say the cost of the disk and shipping I will have to buy another licence to get another disk.

Cheers,
Bill69

I have 2 genuine xp disks( my computer & my daughters ) I have used the same disk to do a clean reinstall on both my Daughters & my computer but using our own keys without problems so far.It couldn't hurt to try to load from a borrowed disk.

Remember if it works don't make a copy of the disk to use for future use as MS would want you to buy a new one .

Dave

This disk will self destruct in 15 seconds........

Figuring this mistery out is mission impossible.

This disk will self destruct in 15 seconds........:confused:

WHOA!! I've been working as a Network Admin for 3 years, but i never saw a smashed up XP disk. This has to be the ULTIMATE XP crash...

About the serial, 85% of the times the serial works with another kit. We at work have an en-masse serial for about 200 units, yet i only use one installation disk, that originally had another CD key. And it accepts the en-masse one. I think you are clear.

About that drive, though, i would advise replacing it, before it busts up something more precious like an XP disk (Say a TRS disk :confused:?)

WHOA!! I've been working as a Network Admin for 3 years, but i never saw a smashed up XP disk. This has to be the ULTIMATE XP crash...

About the serial, 85% of the times the serial works with another kit. We at work have an en-masse serial for about 200 units, yet i only use one installation disk, that originally had another CD key. And it accepts the en-masse one. I think you are clear.

About that drive, though, i would advise replacing it, before it busts up something more precious like an XP disk (Say a TRS disk :confused:?)

Hi SVAndrei,
No worries about it destroying a Trainz disk, I don't run trainz on that machine. It is basically just a backup machine, I copy Trainz data, local folder for TRS2006 and world folder for TRS2004, every night and copy the same data to DVD+RW once per week direct from my main computer.

Cheers,
Bill69

I saw this on MythBusters!!! :D They SUCCESSFULLY destroyed a disk but it took a LOT of RPM's to do so. If I recall, they spun it up to "standard" disk speed and a bad disk did destroy itself.

I've broken disks by hand and some take a LOT of work, and some just snap without any real force. I would suspect Msoft to use good disks, but I"m not going to flex mine to verify that! ;)

Back