Signals: Need Help re: design choices

rmp090946

I've been reading T12 manual, a forum provided tutorial, reviewing forum comments, looking at user-made routes to gain knowledge of the signaling logic and placement. T12 and user-made routes I've reviewed use a variety of signal designs (i.e.: Searchlight Signal 04; Signal Dwarf; Searchlight Signal 06-RD; plus some "gantry" type to name a few). I'm beginning to understand the placement logic; but, not sure why I should be using a particular "design" (dwarf, tall vertical, gantry). Is it a "user-design" choice (based upon geographical location or era) or, is there some reference I can research to explain why or when to use the various choices of signal designs available within Trainz12 and the DLS? Thanks in advance for any input or sources. Bob

I like search lights, and it helps that the route I am modeling uses them. If your building a freelance route, then use what you think looks best or would best fit that road. (British semiphors would look way out of place on a CSX main line.) If your building a prototype route, look and see what they use. Ether with field trips out to the line as I do, or look at photos others have taken.

Very very simple rules of thumb:

04: On straight track where nothing diverges

06: Single Junctions or crossovers - RD, Right Diverge, LD left diverge

08: Interlockings - multiple junctions protected by one signal on each track, station approaches, double crossovers, whatever.

Dwarf/Ground sigs: Yard trackage

Gantry: limited clearance for post sigs, or to give a visual clue to that this area is important! 08s on gantries = sexy signal!!

As to what style: suit yourself - be guided by prototype - mix them up to suggest historical differences in different areas - whatever...

Last edited:
Dwarf/Ground sigs: Yard trackage

Dwarves are often used on mains, at least here in the U.S. Most often, they are used at interlockings where the direction is against the current-of-traffic, but there are some places where they are used even with it e.g. many ex-Conrail lines.

Thanks very much for the reply(s), they are right to the point of my confusion and clears it up for me! I'll print this out for reference. Thanks again, Bob

Back