Show off your reskins!

btvfd_20120418_0003.jpg

You should have been here for F7's fever. And there's nothing wrong SW1500 in every paint scheme imaginable.

hert:wave:

Q. yeah why is every one only doing the sw1500 is getting old! lol

A. Well I am doing them because they are not restricted for repaints like the rest of the stuff out there.

NO SPAM here because I don't like SPAM, it tastes nasty and is highly fattening and clogs your arteries.

Of course they do, every SW1500 ever built has the same style hood (not including changes due to differing phases). The lights, no. Standard SW1500 lights are nothing like the SP package, either before or after modifications. Also included in the SP package are the front of cab number boards, also not present on other units.

I'm fine with skinning units that actually are ex-SP, but the SP package alters the look of the unit too much for other roads to look right.

Last edited:
Does it really matter who used what? Really? Some people are just like the model railroad clubs that
I've belonged to in the past. This is a game for enjoyment and not about complaints of who used what type of equipment, if you don't like the way some thing looks then change it to your needs or simply do not use it.
The fact is that every railroad sends equipment to scrap, resale or reuse and this is done all the time, remember this the next time you repaint something into your favorite road name, take a minute and just think to yourself did they really use that piece of equipment? The answer might be NO.
Yes, I do actual roads that do use ex-SP units and some that didn't(without full SP light pack) Maybe if some of you guys would lighten up your restrictions to repaints, there might be a better selection on the net. Some can't afford payware so they look to those people who are nice enough to either make what they need or have the permission to do it with what is out there without restriction to repaint.
I understand that you don't want someone messing with your creation that's fine but why is okay for you to do it to someone else's and then do the " look what I made dance"?
It's just a bunch of sticks and stones. Just my two cents worth.

It's true, EMD did not make the SP light package standard.

The hood design does not have a difference from unit to unit. Regardless of SP heritage or not.

A lot of railroads do and don't use ex-SP units. Most are Western, there are hundreds and hundreds of SW1500s that have none of the things installed that are on the ex-SP and SP units. This makes a reskin look very off.

If the original creator was to get offended by this, then my goodness. This is nothing but simple fact statement and pointing out how the model does not fit every skin perfectly. By no means is it criticizing against the model itself. It's original purpose to be a SP SW1500 was done marvelously. However, it does not fit the role for other railroads. Few locomotives can.

Perhaps a more basic and widely used SW1500 model can be produced to widen the range of railroads.

Cheers,
Joshua

Last edited:
Part of the problem's the fact that most engines (diesels and steam, as well as eletrics to a degree) despite being built to a standard design, end up with a whole hoodload of railroad-applied modifications. Parts get swapped, trucks are switched around, engines go through heavy overhauls that leave them both subtly and/or radically altered: the Paducah Geeps are a good example of that. Little buggers had so many parts swapped between engines of different models that the only sure-fire way to model one accurately is to pick a specific unit to build.

As such, you're never going to get a single, generic model to represent every design variation without a whole-lotta tiny detail parts. Frankly, if a given generic model can cover the majority of variations, I'm okay with that. I share simulatortrain's tendeny to nitpick the finer details (BTW, thanks for pointing out that those light packages are wrong: that's gonna bother me to no end now), but there's some times when you just have to let it go.

Back