Should I upgrade? (Or downgrade?)

Dear r/Trainz

The current version of Trainz I have is T: ANE (Trainz: A New Era) from 2015, which I have purchased and have been enjoying for about 2 to 3 years now. From my experience, the game has ran very smoothly on my current PC, with very rare instances of lagging. MY sole reason I want to upgrade is that there are a bunch of nice looking content (Freeware & Payware) but unfortunately they are Incompatible and most of them are exclusive for Newer Versions of Trainz. One example of a site that offers nice looking content is TrainzForge, but there are a lot of Freeware & Payware that is not compatible with T: ANE.

Should I upgrade to the latest Trainz? Trainz 2022?

Absolutely! You'll find that TRS22 actually has better framerates and overall performance than T:ANE on the same routes and sessions/ scenarios at similar visual appearance quality settings. Both TRS19 and TRS22 offer many more assets, features and bug fixes.
You should be able to import all of your existing T:ANE content (most of which will be updated to the latest, stable variants) and convert them to modern standards. They will look and perform better than they do now.
I'd recommend trialing Trainz+ just for 1 month to see if TRS22 is right for you/ your computer hardware. Then either continue the subscription or purchase the simulator outright.
Be ready to be amazed!

Every time N3V (previously Auran) releases a new version of Trainz there are claims that the new version is a "downgrade", or a "backward step", or similar, from the previous ("best ever") version. The only time that I have ever sympathised with that view was for the initial release of T:ANE. It was reportedly released too early (apparently, there were contractual reasons for that) and had far too many bugs. It took several SPs for T:ANE to achieve its promises and even then there are some here who claim, with some justification, that it never lived up to all of the promises.

Apart from a period of a few months when I had both T:ANE and its predecessor (TS12) running on my system until T:ANEs stability and bugs were sorted to a reasonable level, I have removed all previous versions of Trainz almost immediately after installing the latest release. This was certainly the case when I went from T:ANE to TRS19 Platinum. I have had no regrets with that move.

After an initial hesitation (I am not a great fan of software subscriptions) I took up a monthly subscription to Trainz Plus but within 3 months I had switched to the yearly subscription with Gold membership. Since then I have not looked back at all.

But each user is different. We each have our own expectations, circumstances and experiences to draw on. A regular theme in these forums is for more realism (whatever that means), better graphics, more options. Just as T:ANE delivered all of that over TS12, TRS22 (and even more so, Trainz Plus) delivers them over T:ANE.

My opinions.

Oof, let's just say the price of TRS22 on Steam is $69.99, something that (atm) goes too high against my budget, but considering everyone's feedback, I will consider trying it out in the future sometime.

Back