Shortline and Rio Grande Scenic Railroad

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
Well, since it seems that for now I am going to be stuck with Trainz Classics, I figured that I needed a good route to run on.

However when I began to look for a good route, I could not find one. Specifically, I was looking for a tourist line, much like Northeastern Fall, but I wanted something bigger, with a few grades so I could climb, and have room to run short freight trains. I looked and looked, and I quickly found the biggest fault with Trainz Classics, that lack of built in content from the older versions of Trainz. I would install routes, but they would be missing most, if not all of the important things like ground textures, many buildings were gone, track, bridges, tunnels, all this could not be found!

So, I had two choices, I could sit and beg someone to build a proper route, or get my hands dirty and do it myself. So I came up with the Shortline Scenic Railroad. Which eventually turned into the Shortline and Rio Grande Scenic Railroad. Its based off Tennessee Pass, a deactivated freight line running through the rocky mountains. Most of the route is rather flat, but I really fought hard this time to build a proper grade. I was never happy with the short grades found on my Timber Ridge Route, I really wanted a long grade to fight up. So I finally came up with a system that works for me resulting in a nearly 3 mile long, constant 3% grade. and then an even longer, 5 mile long 2% grade on the other side. Its got 3 cities, each rather large, consisting of small and large buildings. And one small western style town at the very end.

So lets start, starting from the southern end, in the city of Shortline, some shots of today's big achievement, the rolling stock.

Screenshot_114.jpg

Screenshot_116.jpg

Screenshot_119.jpg

Screenshot_121.jpg

Rolling past the railyards, which contain all the other rolling stock, engines, and a string of cars waiting to be restored and repainted

Screenshot_122.jpg

A D&RGW SD40T-2 pulls out Canadian National 3254
Screenshot_124-1.jpg

5386 sits over the pit in the diesel shop
Screenshot_133.jpg

More to come!

Here the railroad runs next to a river, with a bridge ahead to cross

Screenshot_147.jpg

Running parallel to the Highway
Screenshot_154.jpg

Here we find the town of Mountain Vista. I'm not quite happy with it to be honest, I am basing it off Buena Vista here in Colorado, but I think the town will require much rebuilding before that happens, so I am not sure what will happen
Screenshot_159-1.jpg

There's that damn blue box again!!!
Screenshot_165-1.jpg

Several miles out of Mountain Vista, approaching Frasier Pass
Screenshot_175.jpg

Partway up the Pass

Screenshot_188.jpg

It may look flat here, but I am actually battling a 3% grade for nearly a mile!
Screenshot_207-1.jpg

Approaching a currently unnamed geologic anomaly, causing the ground the rise up sharply before flattening out again

Screenshot_209.jpg

Coming up on Windy Curve
Screenshot_217-1.jpg

Going around Windy Curve, a very long 180 degree curve which rises about 150-200 feet in elevation from one end to the other (as seen by the different levels of track)
Screenshot_224.jpg

Looking back down where we started
Screenshot_231.jpg

Screenshot_236-1.jpg

An abandoned section of track. The grade used to be laid out here, but was relaid when a massive rock slide took out the cliff face over the lower level of track that the track rested on, now this is all that is left
Screenshot_239.jpg

The top of the pass is currently quite flat, and has a very long (4.5 baseboards) siding the used to handle heavy coal traffic back when the route was an active freight route. Now that freight has virtually vanished, it only see's use by the two tourist trains that occasionally have to pass here

Screenshot_249.jpg

Crossing a river. After this bridge, the track begins a nearly 5 mile long 2% decent
Screenshot_258.jpg

Coming up on the only tunnel on the route
Screenshot_281.jpg

Screenshot_290.jpg

A long wooden trestle spans a gap
Screenshot_295.jpg

At the bottom of the grade, approaching Frasier
Screenshot_305.jpg

Sadly, a missing switch point ended my tour of the route, so from here, we continue to the last few stops on foot
Screenshot_313.jpg

The Frasier Depot
Screenshot_317.jpg

Several Miles north, is the small village of Western Village. This area see's an excursion once a day, so the route is not heavily traveled.
Screenshot_322.jpg

Screenshot_323.jpg

So there you go. In total its about 25 miles long, still a lot to do, lots of bugs to fix, but I hope that it will be a welcomed route into Trainz Classics. I don't think there is anything quite like it yet available, so stay tuned.

Wow, has it really been that long?

Well, after toying around with this route on and off for apparently almost 2 years, I've started another round of work on it.

Its now been updated from Trainz Classics to TS2010, and I have been playing around with the new tree's from 2010 in the station area's, to see what effect they have on my computer. Amazingly, they have little or no impact at all, so hopefully soon I will be updating the route with them

The Tree's are all test ones right now. I'll be adding in the proper species for the area starting tomorrow.

The biggest change for this will be motive power. Since I am moving this up to 2010, and the Dash 8's I was using were never going to be released anyway, I've decided to change the motive power the railroad will use. It will be mostly Surplus SD40's and Mid model Geeps. I will also be updating my SDP40F with working Ditch Lights soon, so it will be used as motive power as well, in a nice, Rio Grande paint Scheme. Also a few other locomotives I am working on right now that will be used for motive power, but they are not ready yet.

trainz2011-04-2302-02-26-77.jpg

trainz2011-04-2302-35-36-18.jpg

trainz2011-04-2302-37-13-37.jpg

Also planning on adding about 10 more miles to the route at one end. As well as another small town to go with the new station

Last edited:
Back