Shadow Density

boleyd

Off & On I have tried to adjust shadows to be less total (black) with no luck. Finally I saw the problem to the very black shadows. Its is PBR grass 8. I replaced some of it with Ultra (old style) grass and the shadows became less intense/black and more realistic. The PBR stuff is nice but it carries penalties mixing with older flat textures and now shadows.

Last edited:
boleyd - I thought you had learned to create more realistic shadows by using the technique we recommended at least two years ago?
Namely: In TRS19 Session Edit mode, in the 'Edit Environment...' Settings Dialog, for each chosen time slot, set the RGB values for the Ambient Colour Preview to a brightness level Higher than the Sun Colour Preview. (Recommend setting the Sun Colour Preview to a uniform dark grey for daylight hours between Dawn and Dusk, so that you end up getting more natural, subtle shadows and distinct detail in the shadowed areas - rather than inky blackness).
This method ensures that the ambient light illuminates the shadowed areas around bogeys and underframes, trees, etc., rendering grasses, PBR textures, and all shadows much more realistically.
env_set.jpg

env_set.jpg

Hint: You can hold the Shift key down and click on the RGB colour control wheels with your mouse pointer to set all three RGB levels to similar values (typically resulting in neutral greys - or bright white, or pure black at either extreme).

Last edited:
Thank You PC_Ace
user-offline.png

Your reply has helped me out with the Shadows also. I have always struggled a bit with that environment editor, but when set correctly Textures look very good at Dusk, Night, and Mornings,
Much Appreciated!:)
Cheers!

Two years ago - lost in the fogs. Anyhow that shift-key hint was the biggie for me. It made setting three interactive variables much less frustrating. I now have shadows, and other visuals where I want them. To bad that ther are not organized subject pointers linked to each actionable item leading to hints such as this.

Look at the forum message's Join Date tags - the fog is getting thicker. We need your helpful hint exposed by a click on the subject. There is a $$cost to do this.

Anyhow thanks.....

Back