Seen the "Clean Coal" ads in the US?

whyfly2

Here's my contribution to those public relations and advertising agencies:

CleanCoal.jpg

Yeah, good old dirty coal was good enough for our grandparents and beyond (how far beyond is depending on your age) so it's good enough for me.

You seriously had to bring this up? What does steam locomotive's have to do with it. But powerplants do, with hardly any emissions today. Take a time warp trip to the American 1970's or watch the beginning of the Blues Brothers and see what "clean coal" is. I believe we have come along way from what it was before. I guess we have a earth lover here who had to just complain about another problem that is not a concern today.

Last edited:
You seriously had to bring this up? What does steam locomotive's have to do with it. But powerplants do, with hardly any emissions today. Take a time warp trip to the American 1970's or watch the beginning of the Blues Brothers and see what "clean coal" is. I believe we have come along way from what it was before. I guess we have a earth lover here who had to just complain about another problem that is not a concern today.

These sentences do not make any sense? I'm not sure of the point you're trying to covey.

I suspect that he's trying to make the point that coal power station emmissions used to contain a lot more soot and sulphur than they do now (at least partially due to pressure from 'earth lovers'). Now they are mostly carbon dioxide, which as 1-2% of scientists in the field will tell you, is having no effect on the world's climate at all. Having said that, acid rain and smog are both a lot less prevalent than they used to be (until congress manages to repeal the clean air act at least).

Paul

p.s. If you're not an 'earth lover' does that make you an 'eath hater'? And isn't that potentially a bit self-destructive?

(until congress manages to repeal the clean air act at least).

Paul

p.s. If you're not an 'earth lover' does that make you an 'eath hater'? And isn't that potentially a bit self-destructive?

You have a congress in Australia too? And a Clean Air Act? I had no idea our two countries were so similar!
I'm pretty much an 'Earth Ambivalenc-er' :eek:

which as 1-2% of scientists in the field will tell you, is having no effect on the world's climate at all.

The big debate, and what more* scientists will tell you is that while yes CO2 is having an effect on the atmosphere, the amount we create in minuscule compared to the amount made by natural means.

Foot note: While personally I don't believe our CO2 emissions are causing "Global Warming" (they may be slightly helping it); I do support the notion of being more green & am sort of living off the idea that if they want to use global warming as a reason to be more nature-friendly, by all means go ahead, I'll just continue to be as "green" as I can.

*I don't have the percentage of scientists off hand, I'll have to look it up & get back to you.

peter

You have a congress in Australia too? And a Clean Air Act? I had no idea our two countries were so similar!
I'm pretty much an 'Earth Ambivalenc-er' :eek:

I was referring to the US congress. Our system is something of a hybrid of the UK and US systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_Australia . I'm pretty sure we have something similar to the US clean air act, but no GOP trying to dismantle it...

@PerRock - I'm really going to try not to bite. Unfortunately, there is so much contradictory stuff written about climate science on the internet, and so many really nutty conspiracy theories, and so many folks who have made their mind up, that it becomes really hard to debate. Personally I tend to go with the findings of experienced, qualified climate scientists who publish in the relevant peer-reviewed scientific journals. Of course, they can get it wrong sometimes, but there is so much evidence that I doubt it.

Of course you may be right about the natural sources of CO2 (though there have been a lot of untruths told about this as well). The point is that (presumably) natural sources and natural sinks of CO2 were once in balance. Now we dig up fossil fuel reserves laid down over millions of years and burn them in a century...

Anyway - keep an open mind, and ask where the money is (clue - research grants really don't lead to a playboy lifestyle).

Paul

p.s. - sorry - I bit... :eek:

Nor do we Paul, nor do we. As you cautioned Peter; "Keep an open mind.":)

Thanks Ed, I was going to say the same thing. Paul, I respect you highly, but don't believe everything that you read or see in the media. I've worked with way too many environmentalists on a daily basis for 30 years and could write a book on them and their agenda.

Back to the OP. I'm not really sure what his message is meant to be. I could take it a couple of different ways. Just trying to keep an open mind here.

Mike

Last edited:
...I blame cars.

There are no "fuel efficient" cars. (besides those that don't run on fuel at all) It's all down to the driver. Skip to 3:34 to see my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w

Trains are very eco friendly. Cars are just NOW getting a engine to drive an electric engine. I've even heard rumors of Toyota developing a "revolutionary" traction motor system... already fullly use by the railroads since the EMD FT.

About coal... This makes no sense. The coal used by steam locomotives is entirely different then that used by power plants. The US doesn't use steam locomotives anymore for mainline service. We use EMD SD70ACes, GE ES44ACs, and etc. etc. The coal hauled to the power plant is what the adverts call "clean coal". BTW, the coal is clean, but mainly the emissions is what they're worried about. A modern power plant produces much less emissions then the power plants that operated in the 1980s, 70s, 60s, and so forth.

Cheers,
Joshua

Honda has created a car that runs on hydrogen,

Called the FCX Clarity, and because it runs on hydrogen, the only emission is hydrogen, and water is the most abundant source in the universe

Hybrid cars are just what trains are now, a diesel electric

Josh, I think you mean a Prius, which isn't that nice.

Jamie

:cool: Cut funding for the E.P.A.:eek:

I adgree with you there, they are just a little to strict and keep making new laws that are getting harder to cope with. Such as when they made diesel have to have the new chemicals in it for emission control and bumped up the price of it by 40 cents a gallon.

...I blame cars.

There are no "fuel efficient" cars. (besides those that don't run on fuel at all) It's all down to the driver. Skip to 3:34 to see my point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w
Trains are very eco friendly. Cars are just NOW getting a engine to drive an electric engine. I've even heard rumors of Toyota developing a "revolutionary" traction motor system... already fullly use by the railroads since the EMD FT.
About coal... This makes no sense. The coal used by steam locomotives is entirely different then that used by power plants. The US doesn't use steam locomotives anymore for mainline service. We use EMD SD70ACes, GE ES44ACs, and etc. etc. The coal hauled to the power plant is what the adverts call "clean coal". BTW, the coal is clean, but mainly the emissions is what they're worried about. A modern power plant produces much less emissions then the power plants that operated in the 1980s, 70s, 60s, and so forth.

Cheers,
Joshua

There was a fuel efficient cars back in the 1920's-mid1930's they got close to 40 miles per gallon, more than most cars today. But the oil companies bought the rights to ideas and plans and destroyed them, as they were worried about making lots of money rather than making little at a time.

As I was stating to the first picture on this post, I was trying to say why does the steam locomotive has to do with this. Very few even run today, and why dump the "Clean Coal" problem on that. Yes I believe, coal is clean and is a very good source of energy today.

I suspect that he's trying to make the point that coal power station emmissions used to contain a lot more soot and sulphur than they do now (at least partially due to pressure from 'earth lovers'). Now they are mostly carbon dioxide, which as 1-2% of scientists in the field will tell you, is having no effect on the world's climate at all. Having said that, acid rain and smog are both a lot less prevalent than they used to be (until congress manages to repeal the clean air act at least).

Paul

I am neither, I am in between, Why do we have to worry about it, besides the earth has gone through several climate changes heating/cooling with out the influence of man. Nature is the highest contributer to climate change then man is, such as volcanos, fires ect... Also this climate change idea is fairly recent, as Al Gore brought it up in the late 90's early 00's and before that we didn't worry about it and through all the years of the industrial revolution and the climate didn't change one bit in those years and even up to today it hardly changed. True the ice is melting and the sea is rising but that is natural, it has done that several times before without the influences of man-kind and carbon base fuels running our lives as oil, coal, and natural gas.

Honda has created a car that runs on hydrogen,

Called the FCX Clarity, and because it runs on hydrogen, the only emission is hydrogen, and water is the most abundant source in the universe

Hybrid cars are just what trains are now, a diesel electric

Josh, I think you mean a Prius, which isn't that nice.

Jamie

I very well know about the Honda FCX Clarity. Those cars are still getting their foot in the door. I approve of them. I defiantly mean the Toyota Prius. No, it's a bad car.

Cheers,
Joshua

Seventeen posts and only one screenshot?

Here are three.

To solve the problem simply turn off the particle effect.

Cheers
Casper
:p

96fe8580.jpg

cb33ee97.jpg

355e503d.jpg

5861376613_0c4bc4d787_z.jpg

Good ol' Colorado Coal...good enough for me and my fireman!:D :cool:

one more:

5816709835_f1d177a56c_z.jpg

full steam ahead!

Last edited: