Screen Display shuts down in Rocky Mountain Route in Trainz 2019

NS_Engineer

I just downloaded the Rocky Mountain Pass route and it's fantastic. I do have one problem though.

After about 10 minutes, give or take, my display shuts down. Only option is to reboot. Has anyone else had this problem with this route?

Could this have anything to do with settings for the route? Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi,

Some time ago, I had problems with Trainz and unexpected shutdowns. Similarly with Elite:Dangerous.

I suspect the problem may relate to the fact that these games will max out your video card. My RTX 2060 runs about 95% - this generates a fair bit of heat, so I can hear the cooling fans spool up!

If you can post your computer specs, (GPU, CPU, laptop/desktop etc) there may be more assistance available.

You may also want to download a system tool to display voltages and temperatures (PSUs don't last forever, may are specced for the system but without any extra to allow for full power running of everything!), similarly, most modern CPUs and GPUs have temperature cut-outs built-in to avoid damage. It's worth checking the filters on your PC (or that the case isn't full of flurb) and that all the fans are running.

Colin

I am also wondering if you are interacting with the game by changing points of view, mving around or changing settings? Sometimes Windows doesn't consider just a running video (or perhaps a game) as interaction, and it goes into energy saving mode. Can you bring the display back by hitting the shift key or something?

Two good ideas. Thanks.

1. I run an NVidia GTX970 GPU and while running TRS19 I have checked things like fan speeds, GPU and CPU temps with both running within normal limits.

2. The suggestion re: changing views is something I haven't thought of. And, yes it does seem to shutdown when I change screen views. IE from Cab to Chase and others. I've noticed it happens more so when going to the map views. I'm going to run some more tests and see what results I get.

3. I've been running TRS19 and TANE for quite awhile and this screen shutdown hasn't happened until I used the Rocky Mountain Routes.

Thanks much for the help.

Mike

Retired Norfolk Southern engineer.

Do you have power management enabled such as screen savers or turn off display after so many minutes?

This can cause the display to turn off in the middle of driving or playing an other game. It's really annoying.

There's also something I've run into recently with my own video card. The main monitor will turn off and won't come back on once it's gone dark. The only way to bring it back to life is to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE then press ESC to cancel. This resets the display and everything is okay after that.

Back