Scarborough Spa Express

BidMod

Hi all,

I know there are fans of this service on the community forums, but does anyone know if they are scheduled to run this year? I can't find any trace of them anywhere, so should I assume they've been quietly dropped, or that I'm incompetent with a search engine?

Shame really, as I'm currently within throwing distance of York (not that I have ANY intention of throwing anything at York) and it would be nice to take a day trip to Scarborough in real style.

Before anyone suggests I visit the other railways in the areas you may rest assured I have plans afoot :) Including at some point "testing" the new ECML services. The last time I travelled on a 225 rake it was painted IC swallow livery, giving you an idea of when that was. Obviously I've been on Virgin trains (note the location at the top-right of my posts), but they seem to have preferred other types of train, and more recently the Pendo which I have to say contrary to most people's opinions is one of the best MUs to grace our network.

Regards
BidMod.

Hi Bidmod, Scarborough Spa Expresses are seasonal, at the moment nothing definite about this year. Last years ran mid-week. I am now at the age where I am starting to forget things so rather than promise to update you when more info is available may I suggest that you keep an eye on this website. It's usually very accurate!

http://www.uksteam.info/index.shtml look near the top of the right hand column for this weeks tours.

John

A very late thanks for that message, John. Sorry - I've been a tad busy - coursework does that to you ;). I am, however, booked onto one now (not saying which - it's a secret lol) and await the tickets in the post any time soon :)

For anyone else interested: http://www.kingfisherrailtours.co.uk/sse08.html

It looks like it's going to be a good day, and I've borrowed a respectable camera from one of my friends so I'll have to post some photos.

Regards
BidMod.

Hi BidMod, hope you had a good day! I don't visit this forum much now, it got so flipping boring. I caught Tangmere on Monday 26th May at Garforth. Were you on this train?

20080526seamtown0005tv9.jpg

John

Yes - that was the train I was on :) I was somewhere in the middle when that picture was taken, though we sat nearer the engine on the way back (and came home smelling of smoke ;)).

We actually went back later in the week to photograph it again from the platforms. I had intended to go to the bridge to Scarborough, with my friend going on to the Station - the logic being we could get two different sets of photos - but the camera I borrowed didn't have a telephoto lens, so when I got to where I wanted to be there were loads of photographers standing almost 60yds away with telephotos and tripods and I couldn't stand near enough to use the camera effectively without blocking their view, so I legged it to the station and got a couple of poorer shots from the back of the crowd that beat me to it (my friend was elsewhere to take his).

As usual - click to go big.

As an experiment, I'm working in Photoshop Express to remove the wires from the left hand picture to see what I get, with a view to doing it to one of my friends pics too (I'll share what I get when I've finished).

BidMod.

Hi Bid, one of my now infrequent visits to this forum. Sorry to say but I am now getting much more pleasure from Lego trains than Trainz. I hope you manage to get to the open weekend at Carnforth. My stepson and I will be there (look on Caddylars "putting a face to the name" thread for my mugshot). I hope you manage to find me, may be a pint could be drunk! Let me know if you are going and I'll let you have my mobile number.

John

I'd certainly like to go to that, but at the moment I couldn't guarantee being able to. I'll send you a PM later the time, but I'll be short notice I'm afraid - I'm without internet for a little bit in July, so I could only send the message a few days before, or possibly right at the start of the month.

BidMod.

Managed just by chance to see this train pulled by the Union of South Africa on Saturday, as well as at the station there where loads of photographers on Westwood and the connecting bridge to Belgrave Terrace
Bob V

Back