RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

If you are trying to view your export, I would not worry about. Are you sure it is not just opening and minimizing down to the taskbar, that is what mine does. If Mike's exporter works correctly and you can import content into Content Manager; then you can edit with explorer and meshviewer should work there. This part is more important as you right click to get the mesh data, while in meshviewer.

When I click 'Preview in trainz mesh viewer' when using sketch up a black box appears for about 1 second a disappears? Anyone know whats wrong.

Thanks

The black window appears because of the way RubyTMIX lauches the Mesh Viewer utility; basically I am calling the Windows command-line "start" function with the name of the IM file, and Windows is then launching the mesh viewer for me. This requires a pass through the Windows command interpreter, which briefly displays a black window as it executes the command. Normally it appears and disappears so fast that you do not notice it, but sometimes it can be seen. This is normal operation and is no cause for concern.

Regards,
-Mike

I have exported a file, it says the file location is ''C:\Users\Edmund\Documents\RubyTMIX_Output'' I open this folder and there is just 3 files: config.txt, myobject.im and a jpg. image. There is no Content manager file, how do I convert them?

I have exported a file, it says the file location is ''C:\Users\Edmund\Documents\RubyTMIX_Output'' I open this folder and there is just 3 files: config.txt, myobject.im and a jpg. image. There is no Content manager file, how do I convert them?

The process for exporting from SketchUp and then importing into CM is explained in detail in Section 3 of the User's Guide. You may want to review this document as it contains not only the answer to your question but also other potentially useful information, such as how to make the right selections for export options. The fact that you have a .jpg image in the output folder tells me that you have changed some of the export options as, by default, this would be a .TGA file; unless you are very sure of what you are doing, it is best to use the defaults whenever possible.

In short: Go into CM; File -> Import Content; select the RubyTMIX_Output folder for your model; your asset will import into CM.

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
every time i do that i wind up having a file into the game that i already deleted, and i also get this Error: Unable to commit changes to asset <kuid:420392:1046> as the config file contains the wrong KUID

Last edited:
Do you plan to make this for Splines?

If you look in the thread for RubyTMIX in the Freeware Announcements forum you will see that it is already being used for splines.

Regards,
-Mike

splines are doable you just have to make sure the object is positioned correctly & then change the config file to turn it into a spline.

I see no reason why TMIX couldn't be used to make rolling stock either. With a little config editing & some help from Attachment Maker. I'll ry her out after I finish up all my finals this week.

peter

splines are doable you just have to make sure the object is positioned correctly & then change the config file to turn it into a spline.

I see no reason why TMIX couldn't be used to make rolling stock either. With a little config editing & some help from Attachment Maker. I'll ry her out after I finish up all my finals this week.

peter

Thanks, Peter. If you (or anyone else) wants to make up a quick tutorial about how you make splines, I would be happy to clean it up (if needed) and post it on my site along with the software. The same goes for rolling stock if you do indeed achieve that -- I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

Regards,
-Mike

Jam you problem steams from not having dedicated folders for your SketchUp models. Each model needs it's own folder. I store mine under Trainz - examples:
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Trainz\boat Spetz
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Trainz\boat aren
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Trainz\boat Aussie7

tuangalimoreamtrak19 since Sketch up is meant to allow the average person to model, I won't go into detail with placement of the x,y,z axes. Take you model and center it on the dotted green line. Next pulled it back off the red line 6" (or .5 for metric) Next - open up Ruby TMIX from plugins. Next - change the Kind: scenery to Kind: track (under Model General Settings). Export as usual. To get your object to work as a spline in game from here is more complex. You need to add containers from Content Creator Plus then fine tune them in Explorer. Your best bet is to search "roadspline" and/or splines" in the Content Creator section of the forums. Then ask for specific help after reading everyone's else problems. Some where in there I posted a complete tree for 2.9 build and higher. It still needs to be modded for each use.

Ok, Well could someone post a link for me to download for a Spline config file like one where all i have to do is put in my information (Kuid number name etc...) I tried to use one from offline and sadly it did not work. . .

Thanks, Peter. If you (or anyone else) wants to make up a quick tutorial about how you make splines, I would be happy to clean it up (if needed) and post it on my site along with the software. The same goes for rolling stock if you do indeed achieve that -- I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

Regards,
-Mike

ok, I'll take some screenshots of the process & toss them into InDesign when I get into school next week. I'd do it here at home but InDesign doesn't really like running on my computer.

peter

ModerlerMJ: I need to know about attachments points and are you working towards animation??It would be a nice addition to the RubyTMIX..I have successfully now have 4 Engines in Trainz as static displays..:wave: :wave:

ModerlerMJ: I need to know about attachments points and are you working towards animation??It would be a nice addition to the RubyTMIX..I have successfully now have 4 Engines in Trainz as static displays..:wave: :wave:

Congratulations on getting your engines into Trainz. You do nice work and I'm sure they look great, even as static displays.

My current focus is on reducing the texture load as this is the highest priority in terms of making RubyTMIX truly useful. Attachment points and animation are not on my list at this time.

Regards,
-Mike

you can add attachment points using PEV's Attachment Maker. I plan to experiment down that alley now that the semester is over (ya 1st post since the semester ended!!). But I also have to finish up my engine.

peter

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to RubyTMIX and Sketchup, and find them both brilliant. However, I have one slight problem. When I download a model from 3D Warehouse, I recolour it in Sketchup to green, a colour that is built in to sketchup. However, when I export it, and view it in Trainz Mesh Viewer, it comes up as a grey object. Furthermore, when it is in Trainz, it is just a white object. Am I missing something? In sketchup it's fine, but when exported, far from it.
Many thanks for any help,

PortLineParker

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to RubyTMIX and Sketchup, and find them both brilliant. However, I have one slight problem. When I download a model from 3D Warehouse, I recolour it in Sketchup to green, a colour that is built in to sketchup. However, when I export it, and view it in Trainz Mesh Viewer, it comes up as a grey object. Furthermore, when it is in Trainz, it is just a white object. Am I missing something? In sketchup it's fine, but when exported, far from it.
Many thanks for any help,

PortLineParker

Sounds like a classic case of reversed faces. Try clicking the face(s) and then use the 'reverse' option in the SketchUp context menu. Paint the new surface(s) with green again and see if this fixes the issue. If so, remember to go back and reset the color on the old face(s) to keep the poly count down. Also please keep in mind that Mesh Viewer uses a different lighting model than Trainz so, even when all is well, colors will appear differently between the two.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
-Mike

Many thanks, seems to have done the trick ;)
I take it this isn't a 'one off' error then? Oh well, I suppose every piece of software has at least one fault, no matter how small. We can only try to solve them. Once again, many thanks,

PortLineParker

Back