Route Search

spiffy101

Fan of Everything Train
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but as the title suggests, I'm looking for a route. I have downloaded many routes just to find them unenjoyable. Can any one point me to a route to these standards.

1. Standard Gauge
2. Medium Size
3. Industry Interactive
4. Rolling Stock Yard
5. Roundhouse
6. Good Looking
7. Not a load of custom content

If anyone can give me help, that would be very much appreciated.

Try Canada 1930 there are loads of screenshots on the forum and I would suggest it covers all your stated requirements it also has a printable map in the pack to help you on the way
Regards Bob V

As we Speak

As I post, I'm downloading Canada 1930. It seems perfect. But we'll have to wait until it is done.

As I post, I'm downloading Canada 1930. It seems perfect. But we'll have to wait until it is done.

Well done spiffy
Trusting you enjoy it, your opinion and comments (good or bad) would be valuable to other members and also to me for future projects
Above all else. Have fun Regards Bob V

Well...

I like the route, but before I download all the extra content (180 items!!) is there any other route ideas? I would be fine with giving up the memory space, but my cmp doesn't work, so hours and hours of time are required.

Hi spiffy101 --

You might like to try my YardSwitchingCo, kuid [FONT=Verdana, Arial]69871:11942[/FONT]

1. Standard Gauge - yes
2. Medium Size - small to medium
3. Industry Interactive - absolutely!
4. Rolling Stock Yard - yes
5. Roundhouse - hmm (turntable plus loco shed)
6. Good Looking - of course!
7. Not a load of custom content - not all that much and all that is required is on the Download Station (the products used by the interactive industries are probably the biggest download).

YSC_01.jpg

YSC_02.jpg

YSC_03.jpg

YSC_06.jpg

You might also like to consider my Urban IndustRail. A bit larger than YSC, but uses the same basic set of assets, and certainly "yes" to 5 above.

You will also find many sessions for these two routes.

Good hunting,
Phil

Last edited:
Well...

That route looks good but all that content looks custom and I'm not sure. I will wait until my cmp works to download though.

Last edited:
Route to download.

Hello Spiffy, you can also try one of Phil's other excellent mid-size routes called Beside The River 1a on kuid 69871:6976, which I personally found exceptionally detailed and big enough for small, medium and large freight train workings, plenty of shunting duties to perform and it doesn't have too much downloadable content either, and has an excellent READ ME file in the config.txt, for setting out your train consists and industry interactive stuff, a brilliant North American layout.... Happy trainzing...

Cheers. ex-railwayman.

Hey ex --

Many thanks for those very kind comments.

A few screen shots of "BesideTheRiver":

BTR_11.jpg

BTR_15.jpg

BTR_06.jpg

BTR_08.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
Route to download.

Your more than welcome Phil, I have huge respect for ALL layout creators, and I just happened to have been playing on your layout when I read Spiffy's post...LOL
Word of mouth is the best advertising tool ever invented.

Here's to lots more hours of fun playing on your routes mate...

Cheers. ex-railwayman.

I was amazed this thread was stil going. As we speek, I'm downloading Beside the River. I was going to convert a CSX coal drag into a N&W steam coal drag, but there is no N&W power from the 50's going around. Anyway, I await to see how this beside the river looks.

Question for Philskene

PS Edit brought to the top: How do you delete these things? After downloading the sessions, I loaded the map into TRS 2006 and looked at Philskene's included instructions. He explains about the missing assets that I list below and tells what to do about them. Impressive map! Although the map is very large, he has not overloaded it with content and it still looks very good - runs smoothly both in Surveyor and Driver on my machine, which is probably about midlevel in performance.

I've downloaded Austral Bay v5a, which includes Beside the River, but hung up on four dependencies:

US&S typeB Home/Distant Semaphore
kuid 39730:60001
kuid 39730:60002
kuid 39730:60000

Got the red bar across the bottom of the gui that says the 39730 items are not on the DLS.

The US&S item appeared to download, but the box at the right contains a dash mark in it, not the green arrow that identified a successful download on all the rest of the dependencies. Maybe it is OK.

What are the kuid items - can they be deleted without a problem? Or, maybe somebody can tell me where to find them.

Haven't tried to run the route in Surveyor, yet - gotta download some of your sessions.

Dick

Last edited:
Hi Dick, 39730 was the KUID number for Klaus M, whose assets were chiefly signals and available only as payware items on a 3rd Party site. I am not 100 % certain but I think they are no longer available. I deleted them from the config.txt anyway and used some other signals for this layout, there are quite a few types to chose from on the DLS.

Have fun.

Cheers. ex-railwayman

Beside the river and canada 1930 are both superb layouts and if there was anything missing I did not bother to chase it up and it has not affected the layouts at all. I have found that you can chase for an item only to find its grass/ tree etc and not essential to running the layout
PJ

Dick --

Thanks for the comments.

A while back someone said that my routes, despite the level of detail, produce better frame rates on his PC than blank baseboards.

KlausM took umbrage with Auran and took his bats and balls away, including the coronas used by those wonderful US semaphore signals. There is a work round as described in the readme; but otherwise go here:

http://www.users.on.net/~pskene/coronas.zip

Download the file and unzip. Inside you will find the .cdp files you need.

You will also find that once you have downloaded one of my routes you have most of the assets for my other routes - I tend to use the same basic tool-kit of dependencies.

Cheers,
Phil

Back