Reskinning in TRS19 using GIMP

Hi,

I am new to reskinning. I was wondering if there were any good tutorials for reskinning using GIMP as I use a Mac, and the vast majority use Paint.NET (which is Windows exclusive due to it running on the .NET framework) and Adobe Photoshop, which is way too expensive for me. It's very confusing.

Thanks.

All my reskinning projects have been done using GIMP. With the more complex assets such as locomotives, it can be a trial and error process to work out which parts of the texture file (the "skin") map to which parts of the object - it is not always obvious and this will be true regardless of which graphics package you use.

John's advice is good - start with simple objects such as signs and progress from there. Some of the newer Trainz assets are starting to use the more advanced features that are now available in Trainz, such as PBR textures, which will be a whole new learning curve. From what I have read in these forums you will need additional software, some of it is freeware, to work with PBR textures.

If you want to reskin locomotives and freight cars, start with patchouts or reskins that are similar to the original model (Eg. a patched CR GP35). Then progress from there.

Hi,

I am new to reskinning. I was wondering if there were any good tutorials for reskinning using GIMP as I use a Mac, and the vast majority use Paint.NET (which is Windows exclusive due to it running on the .NET framework) and Adobe Photoshop, which is way too expensive for me. It's very confusing.

Thanks.

Can I ask you a question? Why use the "angry" emoji for the heading of this post? The text of your post doesn't indicate anger. In fact it is quite polite.

Back