Repaint or Create own Locos

chorina

Hi,
I think my question regarding the creation of ones own or "Re-skining" an existing loco has got lost with another question in TS2009.
I have never in the past created any of my own assets but always used what I needed that others have been kind enough to create. Now that I am trying to build my own empire, I would like to create some locos etc of my own, so: - what do I need and how do I go about it - in layman's terms. I can not seem to locate any tools or information regarding this in TS2009.

Thanking anyone in advance\
Have a GREAT day
Regards
Blackie

The existing tutorials are still good.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=3345&highlight=tutorials

is a reasonable collection. TRS2009 supports a few more options but the content created for earlier versions works quite nicely.

I think for Normal mapping the choice is either 3DS or Blender but this is not an absolute requirement for TRS2009.

I'd start with simple reskinning it gives you a flavour of the config.txt files etc. then move onto meshes. Building a scripted steam loco from scratch might be a bit ambitous.

Cheerio John

I realize that it's only the second day of the new year but I nominate John's "Building a scripted steam loco from scratch might be a bit ambitous." statement as THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR!:cool:

Bob

I realize that it's only the second day of the new year but I nominate John's "Building a scripted steam loco from scratch might be a bit ambitous." statement as THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE YEAR!:cool:

Bob

Well I was born in England so some times I understate things a little.

You never know he may have vast experience in 3d modeling for computer simulators, C++ programming and be an expert on the power produced by superheated steam in a piston of a given dimension. I mean to say if he has that sort of background Normal and bump mapping shouldn't be that much trouble and the quirks of GIMP when using uncompressed .tga textures and fonts should be no problem at all.

Realistically the research is nearly as much work as the rest, you might do better to work with one or two others first to learn the ropes as the learning curve on some of this stuff is fairly steep.

Cheerio John

Back