Redneck Railcar Mover - Only in America

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I've seen a few 'Redneck Trailers', where an old truck bed is placed on the frame of a trailer at work, but this is impressive.

Well, it's not the first time a tractor has been turned into a locomotive. ;)

Garden_Grounds_Lumber_Railroad.jpg

It works, right!

I love ingenuity like this. It's stuff like this that made America what it is and lead to many things we use today.

There's a mill near here that uses a tractor and a chain. No fancy inventions, just the strength of the tractor.

Even fewer moving parts...

At about 8:32 in this video a fellow shows how to use a manually operated "railroad car mover" (a sort of pry bar, similar to the one in the photo below) to move a box car. Then at about 14:00, the fellow demos the technique again.

RAILCARMOVER.jpg

Last edited:
There's a mill near here that uses a tractor and a chain. No fancy inventions, just the strength of the tractor.

Did you check the video? They mention in the video where the mill is. I can't remember if it was Missouri or Arkansas, but it's one of the two.

Way back when, (before my time at least), the earlier tractors used belts that ran from the tractor to the machinery. They were stationary, really just sitting there running full throttle (which back then was only about 1,800 r.p.m.'s), with the belt pulley engaged, running around the clock. Powerful bruits. I have a 1946 Farmall H that only puts out about 25hp, but back then that was as big as the 70 or 80 horse tractors today, for what they were used for.
IMG_1841.jpg

*Pic not mine, (nor the tractor in the pic :hehe:)

Last edited:
Jordon412, the facility was in Missouri. It is served by the MNA, which I think is Missouri and Northern Arkansas.
I really love trackmobiles, suttlewagons, etc. The homemade stuff is even better.

Way back when, (before my time at least), the earlier tractors used belts that ran from the tractor to the machinery. They were stationary, really just sitting there running full throttle (which back then was only about 1,800 r.p.m.'s), with the belt pulley engaged, running around the clock. Powerful bruits. I have a 1946 Farmall H that only puts out about 25hp, but back then that was as big as the 70 or 80 horse tractors today, for what they were used for.

<pic snipped>

A little bit before the time of the tractor, whose pic you posted... people would use steam-powered tractors, similar to the Peerless tractor shown below...

PEERLESScatalog.jpg

... to saw lumber, by using a mill attachment (similar to the one shown below) that was powered by the tractor...

SawingatBelgradeSlimRennewanzYelHH.jpg

The house I live in was built from lumber cut from the standing timber growing on the plot of land that the house was built on, in 1910, by my grandfather.

A little bit before the time of the tractor, whose pic you posted... people would use steam-powered tractors, similar to the Peerless tractor shown below...

<pic>

... to saw lumber, by using a mill attachment (similar to the one shown below) that was powered by the tractor...

<pic>

The house I live in was built from lumber cut from the standing timber growing on the plot of land that the house was built on, in 1910, by my grandfather.
I'm well aware of the earlier steam tractors, and I thank you for your input. I was referring to the early gas and kerosene tractors myself. However, the steam tractors did produce (obviously) much more horsepower. Many were rated at close to 100~ish hp, but were not used very long because they were so slow, (average of 6mph on a good day); but for the time that they were used, they were a heck of an innovation.
vintage-case-steam-traction-engine-tractor-powering-a-sawmill-AA46AR.jpg

(Pic not mine). When it comes to Steam Tractors, I'm a Case fan.

There is quite a collection of folks who restore and operate those old steam powered tractors. They have meets, rodeos, contests, and so on. Has to be one heck of a fun hobby.

Be nice to them - they can pull your car out of a ditch.:hehe:

Ben

There's a place in W.Va. where old tractors go to die, apparently... It's called Cool Springs Park. It's near Rowellsburg, WV -- just look for a building with a cow on top of it!

View enlarged...

There you'll find an assortment of, err ... stuff!

Since a photo is worth a thousands words, I'll let the photos below explain what you'll find there! :)

View enlarged

View enlarged

View enlarged

View enlarged

And that's less than 1/4 of the err, stuff, that's there! :eek:

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised someone hasn't scarfed up that steam tractor as it looks to be in pretty decent shape. Definitely restorable with a suitable application of TLC and copious amounts of the coin of the realm.

Ben

I'm a bit surprised someone hasn't scarfed up that steam tractor as it looks to be in pretty decent shape. Definitely restorable with a suitable application of TLC and copious amounts of the coin of the realm.

Ben
Looks can be deceiving, however. You could get an old tractor, paint it up and have it looking better than any other, while the motor could be locked up and it doesn't even run! :DSome people I know have an old John Deere (B or A) that they've spray-painted the closest colors to the original, and it just sets out as a yard ornament.

True - it could be empty inside - a mere shell.

I can just imagine what my home owners association would say if I stuck it in the front yard and bolted my mail box to it.:hehe:

Ben

A great variety of things at Cool Springs Park that would make wonderful lawn decorations... ;)

Several East Broad Top narrow gauge cars, including this hopper...

View enlarged

A narrow gauge loco by Vulcan Iron Works...

View enlarged

And lots of other RR stuff... track, turnouts, cars, locos, parts, etc.

Getting the owner to agree to sell them, or anything in his collection, would be a challenge,from what I've heard at least. Who knows if that's 100% true or not. I've never gotten to talk to the owner when I've stopped by Cool Springs Park.

I'm really surprised the EBT hopper is still there as several NG RR's have acquired them and are still in use today. D&S, C&T, and I think the WP&Y. They are just too darn useful though from what I've read mostly in ballast service.

OK - I hate to see a good car go to waste.

Ben

Dunno. The place and all the stuff that's there blows my mind, especially since most of it just seems to be wasting away.

I get the impression the person that owned the place started acquiring cars, locos, etc. and hauled back to his place, intending to employ a liberal amount of "Appalachian engineering" to turn a bunch of old pieces and parts into a functioning railroad, for tourists to ride on, I suppose. The narrow gauge tracks lead "up the hollow" as far as I could see. As far as I know there was never a actual narrow gauge railroad in operation there, so it seems that fellow had to acquire rail, ties, and then he either got someone build him a rail line, or he built it himself.

There were two EBT hoppers there, plus two or three EBT steel flat cars as well. One of the three B&O caboose cars was sitting on narrow gauge trucks, plus there was a B&O bay-window caboose. In addition to the narrow-gauge 0-4-0 in the photo, there was another 0-4-0 steam tank loco, plus a Vulcan industrial gas locomotive that looked to be about 6 or 8 tons, and a narrow gauge Fairmont speeder. Plus dozens of rusting old tractors and farming implements

I'd love to find out the actual story about how this "collection" came to be. :eek:

Last edited:
Back