Really need some info here

Cactushead

As some of you already know, I was running TRS04 on a laptop with 64 megs on the video card. Worked ok unless I overloaded the baseboard with scenery. Well, that computer is history, and I now have a tower with a core 2 quad processor, inVidia graphics card with 512 megs, and 4 gigs machine ram. And of course, Vista. Guess what. TRS04 runs WORSE! Stutters like crazy with just a couple of buildings, plus, shutdowns due to "access violation." I remember reading earlier on this forum about a patch that can be downloaded for Vista. Would that solve my problems or is Vista such a sorry piece of junk that there is no hope for it? Has anybody else had this problem with Bill Greeds new OS? Would appreciate any help from anyone.
TX
Dano

Dano,
It certainly sounds like a video issue. With those specs, Trainz should zip along, but I guess you already know that. Have you tired both DirectX and OpenGL. I experience a 100% difference between the two on my system. As for drivers, I don't know if nVidia have sorted out a decent driver for Hasta la Vista yet. You could try updating, but I don't know.

Failing all that, there is a program available at your local computer shop for about $150 that will fix all your problems. It fixed all mine. It's called Windows XP OEM. Specs similar to yours, my system runs Trainz at 25 - 30 fps min with all the sliders maxed.

Cheers

Brian

I originally started out with DirectX, but everything flickered to the point of disappearing, so changed to open GL, which fixed that problem. I just finished driving the Robe River Iron route, and didn't notice much stuttering at all. But then there's little scenery along that route. Maybe I just have to find a happy medium on how much scenery to include, but when you've got David Drakes excellent City Scape blocks and farm blocks, you do tend to get a little wild building towns.:) I guess I'll just have to play with scenery and put up with the access violations. Meaning, save early and save often something I keep forgetting to do.
Dano.
ps, I checked that thread, and the technobabble went right over my head, but thanks for the link anyway.

I originally started out with DirectX, but everything flickered to the point of disappearing, so changed to open GL, which fixed that problem. I just finished driving the Robe River Iron route, and didn't notice much stuttering at all. But then there's little scenery along that route. Maybe I just have to find a happy medium on how much scenery to include, but when you've got David Drakes excellent City Scape blocks and farm blocks, you do tend to get a little wild building towns.:) I guess I'll just have to play with scenery and put up with the access violations. Meaning, save early and save often something I keep forgetting to do.
Dano.
ps, I checked that thread, and the technobabble went right over my head, but thanks for the link anyway.
The technobabble roughly translated is that Trainz/Vista/nVidia has some serious performance issues, that some people have been unable to overcome. For the sake of your sanity, get XP back on your system until Billy boy can get his act together.

With that CPU/card/memory combination, and XP, you should be able to go into trainzoptions and ramp up all the settings to achieve 25 fps min on maxed sliders. You wouldn't need any more.

Cheers

Brian

I thought of replacing Vista with XP, but the four hundred dollar price tag put the kibash on that, but thanks for the idea. I guess I'll just have to put up with it until, like you said, Bill Greed gets his act together.
Dano

but the four hundred dollar price tag put the kibash on that, but thanks for the idea.
Dano
Dano, any more that $150 and it's a rip-off.
Ask your local computer store for the price on an OEM version, or even check online.

Cheers

Brian

Back