Trainz 10 suddenly lagging, was running smoothly

d0g

Hello,

I know there have been several issues such as this posted here, but I figured this is probably case-specific... lately Trainz 10 has been lagging. I've been using it for a couple of years, previously without issue. I was able to run the Marias Pass X route end to end with 80+ car trains with no issue, often with the entire trainline in view, yet still very smooth gameplay. All graphics settings at maximum.

Lately, I've noticed a large decrease in gameplay. Even in the cab, it pauses every few seconds while loading scenery. I can't bring a large train into view without a pronounced stutter now. As I said, I've been running the program for at least a couple years, and it's never jumped around like this before.

I am running Vista 64-bit on a custom system. I have 4 gigs of RAM, and an AMD Athlon dual-core processor. I have an HD Radeon 3850 video card. I have Direct X 11 installed. There is approximately 28 GB available hard drive space out of a total of 232 GB. I do know that it has not been defragged in 3, 4, or maybe 5 years. I had never had issues with anything up to now, and didn't consider a defrag would be necessary. I am wondering if maybe this would help.

I am ruling any sort of malware out; I've run AV scans from Symantec and Malwarebytes and they found nothing. I haven't seen any symptoms of anything malicious. So I'm assuming it's a system/hardware issue. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

I would defrag the hard drive. It will make a difference. Also check for a full drive. A full drive would make it difficult for the operating system to move stuff out of the way, in memory, for the program to work properly.

You might want to check for dirty fans and heat sinks. As processors and other boards begin to heat up, they slow down so they don't burn up. Blow the dust out with canned air - never use a vacuum cleaner as that can transfer static discharges to the motherboard and then you're hosed.

John

Just a thought - probably teaching granny to suck eggs! - do make sure that the Trains directory is excluded from the virus checker.
I had the situation where it was checking each file as it loaded, that really kills the performance...
Colin

In addition to what has already been said, can you remember if you installed or changed anything on the PC at around the time the lag started ? I'd would also check through Windows Task Manager (Processes tab, All Users) to see what's running at the same time as Trainz.

In addition to everything said here, it is probably time you reloaded your operating system (Windows). Over time your operating system will clog up with all sorts of junk, including viruses, trojans, mal-ware and so on, as Windows and Virus checkers only catch about 27% of these. By the look of things, you are not really all that much into computer maintenance and more than likely you have fragmented files all over the place just chewing up your memory as well. If I were you, I would back-up my files to another drive and then I would reload my Windows operating system. You will be surprised at how well your computer runs after that. Also, run a defrag at least once a week, you only have a small disk drive so it wouldn't take long.
Regards
Bob

Back