Time for a new PC

justinroth

It's been a while since I have looked into computer specs..heck, I graduated with a minor in computer technologies when vista came out lol. Anyway, I am looking to spend around $800-$900, including windows 7 64bit. I already have 2012 installed on a 150G intel ssd, and I have a 450W rosewill PS..my guess is that isn't going to be enough power. So I will need a barebones kit, might as well throw in another ssd for the OS. I don't need a new monitor just yet, I am not factoring that into price. I am also not too concerned about running t:ane either, just 2012 very smoothly. My confusion lies in what processor to get, I have always been an Intel guy..so I would probably go with that and a geforce card. Just not sure what type will fit with which mobo, direct X versions, enough space in the case, the difference of connectors (pci e ect)and ect. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated! TY.

here is a kit from portatech I threw together,
$1,036.64
Barebones w/ Intel Core i7 (Socket 1150) w/ Core i7 4790K (4 x 4.4GHz CPU - 8MB Cache +1250MHz Graphics)
Asus B85M-E CSM MOBO
Performance Cooling Package
16GB DDR3-1600 Memory (2 x 8GB Kit)
120GB SATA3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
Antec Clean Look Mid Tower Case
700W Power Supply
Windows 7 Pro
nVidia GeForce GTX750 - 2GB
Standard - Build, Burn-in, Test & Ship Out in Approx 3 to 5 Business Days
1 Year Manufacturers Repair / Replacement Warranty

Last edited:
As far as that spec list you've thrown together is concerned, there are some key points that make no sense:

You're paring a last-gen overclocking ready CPU with a B85 chipset. This will not allow you to overclock the CPU, negating the one selling point of a K series part, for Haswell you'll need either z87 or z97 chipset boards. For Skylake (current gen) you'll need a z170 chipset mainboard.

The choice of an I7 and a GTX750 is horribly balanced. Step back to an i5 and go for a stronger GPU such as an R9 390 or a GTX 970, this will yield much better results in games where the GPU is the part that actually makes a difference. The difference between an I5 and an I7 being the inclusion of hyper-threading, which the majority of games fail to utilise and is only really utilised in production software.

This is quite a common practice seen in pre-builds where the CPU is overstated as a selling point while the rest of the system suffers to meet a certain price point. The result is an imbalanced system full of bottlenecks.

Jack

Start with a GTX 970 or possibly a 980 then think about what you need to support it. This maybe your current PC but check the size of the video card first. TANE basically only cares about the GPU. What is your current system? Belarc scanner can pull in the exact details.

Thanks

Cheerio John

current specs:
2.13 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Dell Inc. OptiPlex 745
mini-tower
3070 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 [Display adapter]

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

A larger graphics card will not fit, as well as the memory cap of XP.

As far as that spec list you've thrown together is concerned, there are some key points that make no sense:

You're paring a last-gen overclocking ready CPU with a B85 chipset. This will not allow you to overclock the CPU, negating the one selling point of a K series part, for Haswell you'll need either z87 or z97 chipset boards. For Skylake (current gen) you'll need a z170 chipset mainboard.

The choice of an I7 and a GTX750 is horribly balanced. Step back to an i5 and go for a stronger GPU such as an R9 390 or a GTX 970, this will yield much better results in games where the GPU is the part that actually makes a difference. The difference between an I5 and an I7 being the inclusion of hyper-threading, which the majority of games fail to utilise and is only really utilised in production software.

This is quite a common practice seen in pre-builds where the CPU is overstated as a selling point while the rest of the system suffers to meet a certain price point. The result is an imbalanced system full of bottlenecks.

Jack

how about this?
Barebones w/ Intel Core i5/i7 (Socket 1151) w/ Core i5 6500 (4 x 3.6GHz CPU - 6MB Cache +Iris Pro 530 Graphics)
ASRock Z170 PRO4
Performance Cooling Package
16GB DDR4 (2x8GB Kit)
120GB SATA3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
nVidia Geforce GTX970 4GB
Antec Clean Look Mid Tower Case
900W Power Supply w/ Active PFC
Windows 7 Pro
Standard - Build, Burn-in, Test & Ship Out in Approx 3 to 5 Business Days
1 Year Manufacturers Repair / Replacement Warranty

A little more than I was looking to spend, the only way I can see to save is to get less memory..wasn't sure how much trainz even uses.

My i suggest the I5 6600K? 3.5ghz with as high as 4.3ghz
MSI Z170 Gaming M7
16-32 GB of Corsair vengence DDR4 memory
120 GB ssd + WD 1TB HDD
Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro- 8gb DDR5
generic case of preference
Any gold certified 80 plus PSU over 750W
Windows 10
CD read/write tray
Build yourself

This is almost exactly what I'm doing. Skylake processors are the way to go.

Back