Range of PBR?

boleyd

On my system PBR effects reach out to twice the 9ft I thought was the limit. Do I have something amiss or is that stuff really that extensive. Either way it wastes a lot of time cleaning it up.

PBR textures interdict the "normal" textures due to the designed elevation patterns not present in the flat "normal textures". As an example the track ballast is the most prevalent interdiction. A PBR texture ventureimg several feet wider than a "normal" texture causes elevation anomalies. I remember messages saying that elevation disturbance extended up to 9ft. However, I see it at almost double that.

PBR textures interdict the "normal" textures due to the designed elevation patterns not present in the flat "normal textures". As an example the track ballast is the most prevalent interdiction. A PBR texture ventureimg several feet wider than a "normal" texture causes elevation anomalies. I remember messages saying that elevation disturbance extended up to 9ft. However, I see it at almost double that.
Okay, that makes sense. The issue most likely goes back to the content-creator who made the track. As always, some assets are made better than others and this is a classic example. Overall, I find PBR textures to be too much. They tend to be oversized, don't scale well, and end up with the carpet pattern no matter how they're scaled. They have their uses such as with mud, dirt, farm fields, and rocks, but for other things they're not necessary. PBR textures also really push the hardware more and I've seen performance drops when using them, at least with my older video card. With the height-mapping, and the anomalies such as that clear jelly effect we see on slopes, I set my video performance settings to basic to avoid that annoying jellyfish guts effect.

With that said, setting my video card settings to basic, I can mix and match the PBR textures I want to use along with the old 2D textures where they work such as in the distance and in the woods far away from the tracks. This I can say is the best of both worlds without putting the extra work on the already overheating hardware.

Back