R.I.P Old Dell Dimension 9100

I tottally agree with the quality comments which is why I like using a refurbished Dell workstation as a base.

Building your own is fine but getting the component layout right so it runs cool is a problem on many systems. The average system uses about 3% of the cpu which means cooling isn't an issue. Running Trainz runs both the CPU and GPU harder which means more heat in the case so you need things like heat sinks on the memory to keep it running reliably.

Cheerio John
Yes, I agree.
I often run TRS2019, Blender, Sketchup 2019, Photoshop CC 2019 and Shadermap 4 simultaneously.
I don't run into heat issues unless the ambient temp goes hot above 95 degrees (Summer)

Rico

The issue to consider with build-you-own systems is warranties on components. If something goes wrong, you end up chasing individual companies instead of calling one for repairs. I don't bother with extended warranties on desktops but I do carry one on laptops due to their possibility of damage and I keep that only for a few years. I used to support a sales force that had various laptop mishaps including one whose machine was doused in wine during an international flight. There was a bit of a bump while the stewardess was handing out drinks and snacks.
Very true.

I've found that since I started building my own machines, I can usually debug and fix most software problems as they arise, and diagnose/solve hardware issues as well.
Once you start running into problems, you tend to acquire skills in these areas just by the doing, so when symptoms arise, you're usually thinking diagnostically about solving them, rather than running to
a tech for help.

It's very satisfying feeling you get when you successfully troubleshoot and solve your own PC problems.
I'm sure you'll agree @JCitron (y) 👌 😊

Rico

tufx only works with nvidia and nVidia has a program to help game developers optimise their code for their cards which I understand N3V take advantage of.

Cheerio John
not the way you think it does it works with Radeon as well.. might want to talk to the ones that actually have a card that make it run smooth as butter like yours truely.......... right now................. my newest build can run Tufx perfectly on an AMD Radeon XT 6600 RX 12GB card

Very true.

I've found that since I started building my own machines, I can usually debug and fix most software problems as they arise, and diagnose/solve hardware issues as well.
Once you start running into problems, you tend to acquire skills in these areas just by the doing, so when symptoms arise, you're usually thinking diagnostically about solving them, rather than running to
a tech for help.

It's very satisfying feeling you get when you successfully troubleshoot and solve your own PC problems.
I'm sure you'll agree @JCitron (y) 👌 😊

Rico
I repair computers quite often now that I am retired........I usually get one or two or three a month from neighbors and friends to repair. However, my last 2 machines were prebuilt. Look for the sales on both machines and parts and price them. This machine here was over $2,000US......and at that time, the parts would have cost me a little over $1,800US. For less than $200, it came ready to use. One cooling fan was bad so they sent me a couple new fans and a new fan controller. Got the parts 2 days after I called them.

I repair computers quite often now that I am retired........I usually get one or two or three a month from neighbors and friends to repair. However, my last 2 machines were prebuilt. Look for the sales on both machines and parts and price them. This machine here was over $2,000US......and at that time, the parts would have cost me a little over $1,800US. For less than $200, it came ready to use. One cooling fan was bad so they sent me a couple new fans and a new fan controller. Got the parts 2 days after I called them.
I found the same when it came to purchasing new hardware when my old system died. The cost for me to build a new one was more than I could afford and I ended up with the prebuild from Dell. I repair more than I like to. Being retired, I still do some tech support for people off and on and assist with various things. At the moment, I'm backing up data for a late friend of mine's widow. She wants to dispose of the computers and I recommended she archive his data in the event she needed access to any documents in addition to any pictures that may be on the machines. My friend Bob was good about backups anyway and had a backup drive that I was able to use to catch the most recent content on. He also had his data organized on another drive all in one data folder, making the process even easier. Working on this system, I feel really odd touching his stuff even though I'm not looking at anything except the folders.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I have a couple people that I take care of their machines and since they no nothing and keep everything, I keep a backup of their stuff because I know that sooner or later they will lose something that they want to have use of. So, I have a drive with folders and their names on the folders. The drive is never connected except to backup their stuff and then the drive is disconnected and put back in my hiding place.

I know what you mean. I have a couple people that I take care of their machines and since they no nothing and keep everything, I keep a backup of their stuff because I know that sooner or later they will lose something that they want to have use of. So, I have a drive with folders and their names on the folders. The drive is never connected except to backup their stuff and then the drive is disconnected and put back in my hiding place.
I did the same for many years for an elderly couple. Sadly, they are both gone now and their data is in the hands of their daughter.

The STGAubron pc showed up today. Nicely packaged, but a little lacking in instructions. Took me a while to figure out which USB device was the Bluetooth, and what was the WiFi. Still haven't figured out how to make the speakers work without Bluetooth. I already have Blender installed and everything seems fine so far. I need to get acquainted with Windows 10 before I do anything else, though. It feels like I'm playing with a nuclear device and any wrong click can result in total devastation right now.

Congratulations on your new PC arriving safely. I hate lack of destructions with products, or worse destructions that are so small that it takes a high powered magnifying glass to read them.

You mean the 4 pt font in light gray?
Yup that's it!

I had a Cool Master CPU heatsink that had a multi-fold user instruction sheet like that. The font was so small that I had difficult telling which language I was attempting to read and the first page I looked at was in Russian or some other Cyrillic language and couldn't tell until I put the page under one of those desktop magnifiers with a light on it.

Yup that's it!

I had a Cool Master CPU heatsink that had a multi-fold user instruction sheet like that. The font was so small that I had difficult telling which language I was attempting to read and the first page I looked at was in Russian or some other Cyrillic language and couldn't tell until I put the page under one of those desktop magnifiers with a light on it.
@autodctr

Pretty much all the manuals for all of my PC or Xbox stuff are printed in tiny fonts.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rico

Last edited:
Goodbye TS2009, Hello T:ANE! :D

T%3AANE-TEST1.jpg

Back