Quarry railway - suggestions

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
I'm thinking of adding a sandstone quarry to the route I'm currently working on. Any suggestions as to a good 3D (post TS09) track to use, either standard or narrow gauge? Also any suggestions for good buildings, textures or other stuff on the Download Station?

Ta

Paul

Use a rugged, dilapidated wooden tie track, or one with rails almost sunk in the dirt, crooked twisted track with leaps and dips would be the norm.

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Check out some of the SAM track (KUID begins with 132942) and also some Russian or Eastern European track beginning with TSM (KUID beginning with 400260). This latter series come with different ballast textures that represent sand and gravel pretty well as well as some really nice rusty track.

John

Hi Paul,

Check out tracks beginning with SAM (KUID 132952). There are also some really, really nice rusty track with various gravel and sand ballast textures. These are Russian or Eastern European and the KUID begins with 400260 and the name begins with TSM.

Hope this helps.

John

For 2ft narrow gauge you could try some of clam1952's new tracks. For buildings there are some good ones from ING4Trainz, some of which may be on the DLS.

I've decided to go with narrow gauge - a completely new area for me! I assume 2' would be the right gauge for a quarry? So I'm now looking around for the best 2' gauge assets. Suggestions welcome!

One other thing I'm looking for is sandstone or limestone blocks (ie. square cut rather than boulders) as these seem to litter these sort of quarries.

Paul

For 2ft narrow gauge you could try some of clam1952's new tracks. For buildings there are some good ones from ING4Trainz, some of which may be on the DLS.

I've looked at his track and it's great, though for some reason his tunnel track doesn't connect up with the other tracks.

Paul

2ft would be well suited to a quarry.

My preferred 2ft tunnel track is by shortline2 (search 'NG24 Tunnel' in CM), which I've never had any problems with. There are various sizes of tunnel bore too, with some small ones more suited to mines/quarries.

For 2ft Quarry style rolling stock I recommend having a look on ING4Trainz, they have some good stuff based on vehicles from the Hook Norton ironstone quarry and some War Department Light Railways stock - Post 1918 ex-WDLR stuff got everywhere on gauges around 2ft. Also many railways were built in the 20s entirely from ex-WDLR equipment, partly explaining the prevalence of 2ft gauge. Have a look at the pages for the Glyn Valley Tramway and Penrhyn Railways too. Also (dare I say it) some of my wagons might be useful including the recently uploaded wagons for stone slab and gunpowder.

Other useful searches are '600mm' and 'Feldbahn', which will bring up some good German content, particularly wagons called 'kipplore', which appears to be the German term for a skip wagon (the most ubiquitous form of wagon on many 2ft gauge systems).

Last edited:
Thanks very much for these suggestions. I'm off to explore. One of the great things about Trainz is that you can go off into completely new areas knowing that you've got a community of experts to help guide you. :D

Paul

I've looked at his track and it's great, though for some reason his tunnel track doesn't connect up with the other tracks.

Paul

TS12 bug, pre SP1 I think, have to change istunnel 1 to 0 in the config, connect and then change it back.

Narrow Gauge quarries and mine need exchange yards, interesting thread on Nat Pres about exchange yards with a few ideas http://www.national-preservation.com/threads/transhipment-exchange-yards.

mick1960 has quite a few suitable NG items. Think the kipplores are his or some of them are. 600mm is close enough to 2ft that you can't see the difference.

Malc, thanks for the advice. Your track is excellent, so I'm using that. I'm working on an exchange yard, just wondering if there's any good examples of transfer cranes? I'm currently looking at Vulcan's Rail Overhead Crane, kuid:60238:27181, but would be interested in hearing if there are any others out there.

I'm enjoying the narrow gauge - very different from what I've been used to.

Paul

I've been thinking about some old quarry warning signs:

Quarrysigns1.jpg

I've got a commercial license for the 'Keep Calm' typeface and it does look suitably officious! These can be uploaded if people are interested.

Paul

Back