Puffing Billy

Shadowline

I have been struggling to complete through to Gembrook the Puffing Bill Railway for the past few years, due to work and other duties taking up my time.
Rather than keep this going and denying those wanting this picturesque railway route on their computer, I am offering the route at its current state to any one person or to any group so they may complete the route and give it a place in our history.
Narrowgauge and myself set out to put this route together some years ago and he built the track, the trestle bridges along the line, the tank at Gembrook and I think he may have even built the G42 Garrett. If only to justify all his hard work, this route must be completed.
I need someone with the ability, the passion, the skills to 'fill in the gaps' on this route and push it towards a completed work of art.

All the terrain is formed. The track and 98% of switches (points) has all been laid - accurately to original drawings. I could not achieve the one and three quarter inch super elevation on the outside track of some of the curves, but the plans of 1950's have been adhered to.
Most of the creeks and roads are in place - I used Google maps to locate buildings where possible.
This route has been designed for TRS2004, and I would hope that it was completed in this version; and then designed for TR2012.
Please let me know how to proceed: do I hand this over to one person/group to avoid duplication (my preference) or do I put it up on the Download Station as is and let everyone play with it in its current incomplete state.
I will make a decision based on response to this posting and will not offer a time frame at this stage. I need to have serious responses so I can feel comfortable that the best interests of both Trainz and the Puffing Billy / Narrow Gauge culture will be maintained.
Thanks for reading.
Shadowline.

Peter

Welcome back, I thought you had left us for good. I think it might be worthwhile posting this on the VicTrainz forum. There were some comments made there about completing the route but I don't think it came to anything. I wish I had the skill to take it on but I have found that route making is not for me. It would be wonderful to see the PBR recreated over its full length. Whoever takes it on must be someone who knows the route and is not likely to add things that don't belong.

I was asked if I would update the original PBR stock and put it on the DLS with the view to it being available for Multiplayer use of another route (not PBR) being developed. I have done this, every one of the VR narrow gauge rolling stock is on the DLS, freight cars set up for loads, and the passenger cars have passengers all of them setup for running in TS12. There are also three Na's in dirty livery, also built for TS12.

I was going to do more but they lost interest, so I stopped. I have a lot of VR stuff I made for the Beechy that would be at home on the PBR.

By the way, I was the one who made G42 and I'm half way in the process of updating that one. If someone is prepared to make an honest effort with the completion, I am prepared to help with any content required.

Even though I won't (can't) offer to take it over I would like very much to see what you have done.

Peter

Hello Peter! Good to hear from you after all this time. I have done as you suggested: the original post has now been placed on the VicTrainz forum - let's see what eventuates.
Perhaps I could post the route in its current state and let those interested play with it as they wished - I think it would become a mish-mash of buildings, trees and colours after that.

Yes, I can remember now - all your hard work on putting the G42 together just before the Puffing Billy restoration team completed work on the 'real' engine - a well-oiled machine!
I have been impressed with the performance of TS12 - graphics very smooth. I would have liked to have the time to work on PBR with TS12 but its not to be.

Let's hope someone or a group can come forward and take this project to its rightful completion - as one of the most iconic tourist attractions Australia has to offer.

Let's hope someone or a group can come forward and take this project to its rightful completion - as one of the most iconic tourist attractions Australia has to offer.

One supporter for completion.
I for one would love to see the full route, I have the original in TS12, it's actually fault free but the trees are now wrecked by the alpha change in new versions of Trainz and some random Speed trees that have appeared, I don't think N3V's peculiar elm trees are appropriate to the route, especially in the middle of the track!
Obviously not going to offer to do it, as firstly I'm in the wrong country so wouldn't have a clue what goes where and secondly been working on my own NG project for 3 1/2 years now, so can't see me ever getting time anyway.

As an aside according to my Contacts with the Welsh Highland and Ffestiniog Railways, one of the PBR firemen is I believe coming over to wet Wales hoping for a bit of footplate experience on a NGG16. ;) The 1 in 40 on the WHR should give some good firing practice!

Peter, I have got all your PBR items in TS12 and they all work fine, so not wasted, just need something to run them on!
Fingers crossed someone takes this on.

Suggestion

Hi Shadowline,

I have been following this thread for a while now and I would like to suggest that you put the full map (doesn't have to be 100%) up on the download station so that all the people that love Puffing Billy Railway (me being one of them) can have the time of their life on this route I have been playing on your Belgrave To Menzies Creek route for a long time and it is the best and I could only dream how good the rest is

I hope that you can see this and do us a solid
Many Thanks,

Lachlan

Hi Shadowline, I would love to see the line completed, as a boy I remember riding the PBR when we went to Melbourne for holidays.
Regards
Barrie

Hi Barrie,
Yes, the route holds special memories for me too - I can remember my parents taking me up to pick blackberries when the track closed down after the landslide. We walked on the track for miles in that scenic area.
I hope the route does get finished for TS12 before too long.

Hi narrow gauge. I have had problems dowloading the 30 VR NA steam texture download on the DLS and i would really like to know how to fix it. on the problem list it says: 'Image file 'steam10.tga' is incorrectly used as both a texture.txt source file and a raw image file.' and 'An image file ('steam10.tga') has been supplied where a texture file ('*.texture.txt') is required.' (I am not experienced in DLS file editing and all that kind of stuff)

I was looking around on the internet for photos of routes from upper ferntree gully to gembrook and I found some on flicker for probably TS12 that i am really, really hoping comes out on to the DLS.

Last edited:
I have looked at videos on youtube such as one called '11 minutes to gembrook' and I think it will help you with your project a bit.

Back