PRR Screenshots

The early morning sun is well up now, as the last few engines are moved out of the roundhouse. It's mid November so it is cold, even in the wan early morning sun. It's even colder in the shade of the roundhouse.

Harald Kosinsky, one of the hostlers, pauses to watch as K4s 5038 takes a "spin" on the roundhouse bridge. She's one of the few that still sport the smoke deflectors. Harald likes the look of them. They call them elephant ears back in Europe. 5038 is a good engine - he's moved that one many times before out into the yard.

To the right of the turntable, he sees a line of cabin cars roll past, being pulled by one of the old E6s "Atlantics," number 460, the last of the 4-4-2s that probably won't be around for too much longer. That thought saddens him a bit.

Then his attention is drawn to Ilsa 4275, the big Decapod, that he pulled out of the roundhouse earlier, when it was still dark and frost was on the ground. She is already huffing and puffing away with a long load of coal cars, bound for who knows where.

Harald wonders if he will ever get the promotion to running the big steamers. He shivers in the cold, and then hears the shop foreman yell, "Hey, Ski, break times over. Get that last engine out to yard track 4." He waves acknowledgement and wipes the grime off his hands as he heads to the next engine.

MXEDMlON_o.jpg

Altoona area interlocking tower signs that are available on the DLS. Included in the files is a master of the letters to make re-skinning easier, and permission to upload reskins to the DLS with blanket approval. Enjoy. :)

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Thank you sir . Will be putting these to work as soon as possible :D Nice tower BTW , that's already placed . And I would really like ta see more of that route ya got there . :hehe: . Can't place it . But it's looking a lot like one of my favorites routes .:udrool:

Yea . It's been a good Rocktober so far .:cool:

Matt

Railwoodman,

Thank-you for the compliments on the tower and signs. I've done some rethinking on the PRR towers. Leafing through the couple of the Triumph books that I have, I noticed the Strasburg "J" tower is some kind of a standard plan, yet each tower has it's own character. I figured out that with about 50 seperate pieces made as a mesh could be attached to a foundation in a modular fashion, like Dave Snow's build-a-house, which would provide a way to have towers close in prototype to actual locations. For example, FORGE looks like a good candidate for what ALTO looked like before the additions.

Last edited:
PRR-Bedford-Division%2C-Bedford.jpg

[FONT=&quot]H9s 3547 crosses Richard Street heading Eastbound (south) with an empty string of hoppers to interchange with Western Maryland at State Line, PA The view is from Richard Street, Bedford looking railroad east. The intrepid photographer has taken the picture from Bedford Heat & Light's coal storage tower.[/FONT]

PRR-Bedford-Division%2C-Bedford.jpg

[FONT=&quot]H9s 3547 crosses Richard Street, Bedford heading Eastbound (south) with an empty string of hoppers to interchange with Western Maryland at State Line, PA The view is from Richard Street looking railroad west. Bedford Heat & Light is to the right.[/FONT]

Last edited:
PRR1361, where did you get a Pennsy H9? I know the one on the DLS is older and has an incorrect paint skin. Also while I am here any of you Pennsy fans buy K&L MP54? If so have you been able to get the pantographs to work with the key or the driver command? The only way I have been able to raise lower it is through the ? properties and I want to use them with AI.

KenRuof,

The H9 is the one on the DLS. I reskinned it, I think I used the textures from Ben Neal's H.&B.T. #38 (I did the E6 on the DLS the same way). I replaced the lead bogie with one from K&L's Hippo. I'm still building my route in Trainz 2010, and eventualy will move it to Trainz12. Trainz10 is easier since the track will maintain the profile when inserting a spline point, something 12 won't do. I don't know if I'll ever move beyond 12. I've had the game 6 years, and just learned how to build my own buildings. I listened to too many who said it was too hard. I'm not a computer guy, the tutorials I found went a long way in helping. I absolutely enjoy the K&L Pennsy locos, I have the L1, I1, K4, and M1. I am modeling the 1920s. My route runs Huntingdon to Johnstown for the main line. With Hollidaysburg and Petersburg Branch, New Portage Branch, Bedford Division, some of the Tyrone Division, and enough of the Clearfield & Cambria Cluster to generate coal traffic. Connections include the WM, Cumberland & Pennsylvania, and B&O in Cumberland, MD. And the entire H&BT. The HB&T section needs some more map work. I finally figured out how to use NED, and created the DEM with MicroDem. The same route area has been uploaded, but it used STRM (or, SRTM) data, and isn't as accurate.

I found with the mapfile, if the original is saved, and the terrain gets messed up, just reload the mapfile in the file, trackwork and buildings stay the same, the ground textures get lost. That has made route building much less stressful.

[Edit: When I found out the Pennsy gave every place on the railroad it's own identifier, I have begun to use that with trackmarkers, which has turned out phenomenal. The game organizes items easier by number than alphabetical, and now everything is in sequential route order. I tried to use the ~ method, but it also got cumbersome. So now I just have: 0317 DI EF; 0317 DI EP; 0317 DI WF; 0317 DI EF. Instead of DI, BELL could be used. The interlocking tower call letters wouldn't have to be used, but having a name with the CT1000 number helps also. Things stay in the correct order adding a letter behind the CT1000 number. So in Altoona 0319A is the Westbound receiving. 0319B is Westbound Empty, 0319C WB loaded, 0319D WB car repair, 0319E WB preference yard etc. I hope these ideas help.]

Last edited:
PRR1361 ........ I for one really like your work . Thanks to Ken pointing out the H9 I completely missed :hehe: . Looks great . Pleases post more of it and your route .

Altoona is finely getting to the nuts and bolts of it :hehe: I may tinker a bit more with the yards . But testing been really fun . Detailing going to another battle .

Be safe be well

Matt

Railwoodman,
Altoona really looks great. I've spent a lot of time staring at pictures of the Altoona yard, trying to figure out if it was reproduceable or too complex for me, so when I see your handiwork, it looks very accurate. That's a really nice job you are doing! :cool:

Heinrich505

PRR-Bedford-Division%2C-Cumberland%2C-MD.jpg

[FONT=&quot]PRR E6s 8056 has the duty of hauling the morning passenger service, 6371, from Cumberland, MD to Altoona, PA. While there are many stretches where 8056 will feel hampered by slow speed curves and hills, the leg between Manns Choice and East Freedom will see her stretch out at times to 45 mph.

Western Maryland sometimes supplies a baggage car for mail and freight bound in PRR territory. Today's train has the WM 70' Pullman baggage, a B60, and two P70 coaches. Departure is at 7:00 am and arrival in Altoona is 10:34 am. The departure at Bedford is 8:21 am, and a scheduled meet with 6372 at Osterburg at 9:26 am.

On my route 6371/6372 is known as The Cumberland Mail, 6373/6374 hasn't been named yet.

The E6s is the one on the DLS.

Railwoodman, Altoona does look fantastic. Compared to ZOO and 30th Street, Altoona seems like a piece-of-cake. I'm still having some layout issues with track at the H&P junction at ALTO. I'll post of a picture of that. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Here is Altoona, looking east from ALTO and 17th Street. Hollidaysburg and Petersburg Branch is to the right. Roundhouse No. 1, which was gone by 1925(?), I plan on using to make it easier to turn and service K2/3/4 hauled passenger service, and local shunting around the yard at some point. Erecting Shop No. 3 is a stand in for Erecting Shops 1 & 2. The power plant is in the center of picture, to the left is the trainshed, and the Station building and a mock Logan House.

This is the same view but with the 17th Street Bridge. I went with 21 ft clearance above the rail, but I think the original bridge was lower than that (?). The JK (ALTO) is the SN (WYE) Tower as a fill in.
PRR-JK-%28ALTO%29-looking-East.jpg

Before I started the NED version of the PRR Bedford Division and Horseshoe Curve, the thought was about a staging area for "off-line" traffic. I have a few of Roberts/Messer Triumph series. It dawned on me that the Philadelphia Terminal Division would be the "ideal" staging area, as Bedford Division coal originating from the Western Maryland was taken to Greenwich Coal Pier and taken to market either in NY, NJ, or overseas. The DEM I have covers from Greenwich to Paoli, perfect I thought, only 40 odd miles of trackwork, and a staging area with real operational characteristics. I need to upload it to the DLS, a good portion of the right-of-way has been graded. The short-coming of Trainz 2010 is it only allows 47 drivers at a time in the queue.

This picture is ZOO looking east at Maunta Yard with Overbrook/52nd Street Yard to the rear.
ZOO-Interlocker.jpg

This is a view of ZOO looking North-west, ZOO Interlocking Tower in the center, and Girard Bridge to the right.

ZOO-Interlocker.jpg

Greenwich Coal Receiving Yard, 2 L1s get ready for a day of shoving Bedford Division arrivals across the hump into the coal storage yard.
Greenwich-Yard%2C-Philadelphia%2C-Coal-arrival.jpg

Greenwich Coal Pier, thaw house, and coal storage yard, to the right are the ore piles of foreign iron ore, and in the distance, to the right is the Greenwich general freight yards, serving the pier district of Philadelphia.
Greenwich-Pier.jpg

30th Street Station and the High Line
PRR-30th-Street%2C-Philadelphia.jpg

KenRuof,

The H9 is the one on the DLS. I reskinned it, I think I used the textures from Ben Neal's H.&B.T. #38 (I did the E6 on the DLS the same way). I replaced the lead bogie with one from K&L's Hippo. I'm still building my route in Trainz 2010, and eventualy will move it to Trainz12. Trainz10 is easier since the track will maintain the profile when inserting a spline point, something 12 won't do. I don't know if I'll ever move beyond 12. I've had the game 6 years, and just learned how to build my own buildings. I listened to too many who said it was too hard. I'm not a computer guy, the tutorials I found went a long way in helping. I absolutely enjoy the K&L Pennsy locos, I have the L1, I1, K4, and M1. I am modeling the 1920s. My route runs Huntingdon to Johnstown for the main line. With Hollidaysburg and Petersburg Branch, New Portage Branch, Bedford Division, some of the Tyrone Division, and enough of the Clearfield & Cambria Cluster to generate coal traffic. Connections include the WM, Cumberland & Pennsylvania, and B&O in Cumberland, MD. And the entire H&BT. The HB&T section needs some more map work. I finally figured out how to use NED, and created the DEM with MicroDem. The same route area has been uploaded, but it used STRM (or, SRTM) data, and isn't as accurate.

I found with the mapfile, if the original is saved, and the terrain gets messed up, just reload the mapfile in the file, trackwork and buildings stay the same, the ground textures get lost. That has made route building much less stressful.
Thanks for the work on the towers. Your route is an impressive undertaking. Both you and Matt are a great inspiration. I'm a PRR fan so I had to include a section of it in the EBT route. While I have 40 miles or so layed out between Lewistown and Huntingdon, I doubt I'll get much more than Newton-Hamilton to Mapleton sceniced when I start back in on the new version for TANE. That covers the connection with the EBT at Mt Union. I don't have any good diagrams of the interlocking at Jacks. The only one I found is from a book I bought recently but it's pasted together from 3 different ones and there's some obvious misalignment. The resolution is poor and hard to even make out where the turnouts start and end. The setup I have here needs a lot of work yet - respacing the trunouts to something more correct will result in some sitting on the curve west of the tower but that's what I see in the diagram when I zoom in. I started programming some geometry for curved turnouts a few days ago.

I used MD/HOG and Piglet for the terrain on several of the early versions of the EBT route. TransDem is worth the money if you can spring for it. I still do some of my initilal track work using TRS04 so swappping and merging trk files is something I still do a bit of now and then.

Screen shots near Jacks Narrows - some with smoke and some without. The Lines West HH1, L2 and N2, seen helping out their eastern cousins, are my own repaints of Ben Neal's locos. The G5 is a K&L loco. If you're modeling Pennsy routes you do need a large stable of K&L locos as a starting point. I love mine.

Bob Pearson

Wow all these nice PRR routes prr1361, a large work in process. Also nice work on your EBT with PRR route rpearson. I am currently working on back dating the TPR NEC route to 1944, GG1's, P5's, MP54's and some K&L steamer thrown in.

I going to have to stop calling mine the Monster . Since I think two of ya have larger DEM's :hehe: It still My monster thought .:hehe: Fantastic work guys . Keep um coming please :D

Matt

Last edited:
Wow all these nice PRR routes prr1361, a large work in process. Also nice work on your EBT with PRR route rpearson. I am currently working on back dating the TPR NEC route to 1944, GG1's, P5's, MP54's and some K&L steamer thrown in.
So, you're going back to when this was the Pennsylvania Railroad's Maryland Division.

Here is an update on my "PRR Modular Interlocking Tower Kit." I have the 14'6" sides done. This picture shows the blank wall and the doors with the various trim patterns seen in the Triumph series. I think I have about 20 of the short side done. They are not uploaded yet. They are going to be a mesh that will attach to a "foundation." The foundation is the one beside the WYE tower with stairs. Using the attachment point idea will also allow for a variety of stairs also. I have to export all of the rest from Gmax. Then it will be off to make the fronts and backs. I changed the color a bit, I like the new color a bit better.

Feedback while I am still in the development stage will also be handy. Thanks.
PRR-modular-interlocking-tower-project.jpg

PRR1361 All I can say is thank you for the effort . Looks fantastic to me . But I'll need to see how easy they are to build to really give you any feedback . I'm having issues with uploading shots . But the work will be well used .

This isn't a request as much as me looking for ideas for footbridges . Ben made some for me years ago . And I love them . But he couldn't really do the ones I'm trying to recreate . Altoona's Tyron's , Lewistown just to give examples . Altoona had an arch to them . Other were just box framed cast iron ? My thinking is a spline of some sort ?

Again Thank you all

Matt

Back