PRR 140lb. welded track for Trainz

I spent many a year running trains for CSX. I have rolled over immaculate mainline and branchlines that would make you wonder if you would turn over. I built that track and I textured that track. I did it in a way to be poly friendly and performance light, yet still give the PRR look. If you want a busted up track, wait for the 75 lb branchline rail im building, then we will talk. All gripes and whines can then be handed over to that track. I could build stick rail track that has low joints and uneven gauging, but in the end, its about performance. I dont have a $5,000 machine, and I wont. I have kids and a life. So I build things with performance in mind. If you want me to run over that track with a "poop" machine, then so be. Ive been sitting on that track for 2 years now and everyone who has used it and messed with it, likes it. Im happy with that. Keep it 'tween the ditches yall...

~Zak

And Meow.They just need to weld the frog and build it back up. Easy breezy when you have a MOW department that does their job with the money to do their jobs.

And Meow.They just need to weld the frog and build it back up. Easy breezy when you have a MOW department that does their job with the money to do their jobs.

I doubt they'll do any work on this. This is the Pan Am Southern! It's hard to believe this was once a double-tracked mainline with a yard at this point. Today it's 20 mph and single-tracked most of the way from Ayer to Mechanicsville.

John

John,

Does Pan Am still have the Guilford mentality? Im taking this is ex-BM? If so that's actually sad. The joints look miserable through there. Some serious work to bring that back to standards for anything that would be a decent quality main track.

~Zak

Pan Am is just a rebranded Guilford. They have the same, if not worse, business practices, and as a result, most of their trackage has speed restrictions. The only ROW that they have that's in any kind of shape is the Pan Am Southern joint area shared with Norfolk Southern.

I have seriously thought long and hard about leasing territory from NS to start a shortline operation in NC. Ive had banks and several investors look over my business plan to start operations to see if its even feasible. Ive contacted NS regarding it. The one thing Ive always had investors balk about was track conditions. Now, I come from operations with CSX and logistics in other businesses. I know transportation and I know the rail industry. I do not know MOW outside of stuff me and some of the roadmasters on the Florence Division have discussed. I cannot understand the business principles of some of these companies that think that traffic and money will flow when roadway conditions are this pathetic. Things hit the ground and both of those items stop flowing.

Long story short, modelling this in trainz would be feasible IF trainz followed the HEIGHT of the railhead and not the pre-determined height they have currently established. But then again, that would require wheels and trucks to follow the profile, rocking and leaning to be modeled.

I have seriously thought long and hard about leasing territory from NS to start a shortline operation in NC. Ive had banks and several investors look over my business plan to start operations to see if its even feasible. Ive contacted NS regarding it. The one thing Ive always had investors balk about was track conditions. Now, I come from operations with CSX and logistics in other businesses. I know transportation and I know the rail industry. I do not know MOW outside of stuff me and some of the roadmasters on the Florence Division have discussed. I cannot understand the business principles of some of these companies that think that traffic and money will flow when roadway conditions are this pathetic. Things hit the ground and both of those items stop flowing.

Long story short, modelling this in trainz would be feasible IF trainz followed the HEIGHT of the railhead and not the pre-determined height they have currently established. But then again, that would require wheels and trucks to follow the profile, rocking and leaning to be modeled.

That sounds like an interesting business proposition. Talk more with NS and possibly CSX. They will work with investors and operators to establish shortline operations. They did this with the Buckingham Branch Railroad. There's a nice article about them in Progressive Rail.

What you are asking for will be possible in the upcoming Trainz version once it's implemented.

Jackson answered your question very well. Pan Am is Guilford with blue instead of morbid grey, orange, and occasionally pitted black. Sadly, this stretch is the NS upgraded track part of PAS joint deal. The company invested $40 million to bring the conditions up from slow orders to 20mph. Outside of this bit of tracks from Ayer to Mechanicsville and then south into CT, the only other properly maintained track is what is owned by us, meaning the state and operated by the MBTA. PAR puts very little into its physical plant on the rest of the system. Sad...

John

The three proposed names:

Winston Salem Southern (probably not, conflicts with Winston Salem Southbound)
Central Carolina Railroad
Piedmont Rail Corp.

Again, those were the working names I submitted. Friends in the motive power leasing community were willing to help me with power and a paint scheme. Ive designed a few, but repainting a motor is expensive and start up capitol isnt for paint IMHO.

~Zak

The three proposed names:

Winston Salem Southern (probably not, conflicts with Winston Salem Southbound)
Central Carolina Railroad
Piedmont Rail Corp.

Again, those were the working names I submitted. Friends in the motive power leasing community were willing to help me with power and a paint scheme. Ive designed a few, but repainting a motor is expensive and start up capitol isnt for paint IMHO.

~Zak

CCRX? Nicky might be interested to hear that, lol.

PRCX is something I've heard before too, but don't remember where.

Agreed about the paint. Get started, get some revenue going first. Until then if you're using leasers anyway, just go with what they come with and some cheap Magnetic Signage on the side of the cab, and even then you don't need anything beyond what the FRA Mandates anymore. The old railroads all sought to out do each other in paint because everyone would have little choice but to watch the train go by whether they were on horseback or at a Grade crossing in their chevy.... These days Red Flashing lights means its time to check Facebook or Email.....

Good Luck with it if you do it, and updates here on the forum would be appreciated.
Falcus

Back