Problems getting an a track plan into Trainz Model Railroad 2017

All,

Having a problem with Basemapz sending info to Trainz Model Railroad 2017. I have scanned a track plan from 101 Track Plans, specifically plan #48 Virginia & Truckee Railroad. I received the following in the listing when it was uploaded to Tainz Model Railroad 2017:

1) M120 Module example1 (1 baseboard, basic)
2) M120 Module example2 (2 baseboards)
3) M120 Module example3 (1 baseboard)
4) M120 Module example4 (2 baseboards)

There is no image of the track plan from the scan in the preview window. I must be doing something wrong any help would be appreciated!!

brucemarshall56

Bruce I see no takers yet. Maybe I can point you in the right direction at least.

Making an image of the route by scanning in a picture of layout #48 in 101 Track plans won't do a thing by itself.

You might want to look at this video which is a quick intro to BaseMapz by another Trainz user.

Good luck,
Bob Pearson

[EDIT] PS. I tried my own copy of #48 Virginia & Truckee in BaseMapz. I scanned it in and then cropped and straightened it. I kept the scale at HO, set the dimensions at 9ft wide by 12ft high and BaseMapz made the route and tile. This is what I got after I imported them into TS12. TANE or TMZ works the same way. Just make sure you set item numbers for route and tile(s) to some value that is not in use so that older content is not overwritten when you install your new assets.
RPearson_20170129_0000.jpg
The resolution on the scan was 300dpi and as you might notice the quality is not so good. IIRC Mike recommends 600dpi in the BaseMapz manual and I have to agree. I've used 600dpi on others and the tiles are better.

Last edited:
Bob,

Thanks for all the information!! I have a couple of questions: 1.) what program are you using to crop & straighten the image? I used both Paint & InfranView 64 2.) Do you know what the "M120 Module example1- 4 mean?

Thanks for your help!

Bruce Marshall

I have gimp and Corel's photoshop pro. I suspect there are a lot of other programs out there capable of some basic editing of images like this.

Re the m120 modules. Do you know anything about N-Track modules? Each module is made to a standard spec so they can be connected up to form large n-scale layouts - usually at shows and exhibitions. I think the m120 modules are a similar concept made especially for Trainz - mutiple modules can be merged together easily and the track lines up to form large layouts for running trains. The examples in TMR of course are intended to be used to start one of these type modules. There's a thread that discusses it in a forum here. I'll post back when I find it.

[edit] Try this thread for some background and info. Search on m120 in forums for some other threads on it. you might be able to refine it but that found several.

Bob Pearson

[edit] PS I was going to mention Approach Medium, who made the video I linked to above, has just started another video series of building a model layout for TMR17. Not sure how much experience you have but I "played" around making layouts for many years and haven't really finished any and found Approach's videos a real joy to watch (and listen to). He's got some good ideas and presents techniques that he finds good for him. Regardless he does some great work and I spent several hours watching the Pennsylvania & Berwind series so far. If you haven't had a chance to look at the new one I'd recommend you give it a look. Should be a link on his youtube page.

Last edited:
Bob,

Thanks for the info! I have watched some of the videos you have mentioned. I find them all very helpful. The link you sent me has shown me that I may not be everything correctely. I am going to start over today from scratch. Will let you know how I make out.
Thanks again for the help!!

Bruce

One of the things I found with the plans is they need to be scaled up proportionally. I initially set the route I was working on to be the layout size as stated in the book. The problem with this is it put the whole plan on one baseboard with not enough space between the tracks, and not enough space between the aisle ways for anyone to move.

I realize that this is going to be a trial and error type of thing so my doubling for this route is fine, but for others it might be more or less depending upon the scale of the original drawing.

Measure the track spacing on the model plan. If the plan is HO the spacing should be at least 2 inches.

Then adjust the plan size to that.

Got this plan from:

http://appalachianrailroadmodeling.com/

app_coal_ride1.jpg

That is how I got this plan from an MSTS route Trackviewer screenshot:

ozark_air_line1.jpg

oal1.jpg

Unless the trackplan was actually built or the trackplan was derived by John Armstrong the plan would only be conceptual and probably can't be constructed.

Most of early plans in the "101 Trackplans" and other '50's era are really poor, "just a bowl of snakes" was the vernacular describing them.

Harold

EDIT:

Even in the real world most model railroad track plans don't work as well as conceived:

My old On30 railroad really didn't optimally fit in the 4x8 area:

pcal1.jpg

and didn't translate to Trainz well:

ng_derailing.jpg

Last edited:
To all who helped me,

Just wanted to take a minute and thank everyone for the help. I have scanned and loaded Plan 48 Virginia & Truckee Railroad out of 101 Track Plans into Trainz Model Railroad 2017. Have started laying track.

Thanks again for the help!

Bruce

Back