Portal will not give trains back !!

dzien50

I've set up a Portal to return trains after 30 mins, the first one comes back at the 30 minute mark, however all others just enter and never ( i've waited 3 hours ) come back ! has anyone got any idea whats wrong ?
I'm running TRS 2006 2.5 ( build 2773 )
Thanks

hmm not sure about the portal problem but FYI there is a SP1 for your version of Trainz see here also make sure you follow the directions provided in this and this thread.

HTH

Dave

Thanks I can see the threads and will download the patch, but I've quite a lot of work on here which I don't want to lose so I'll read the bit about saving it very carefully !! don't know if it will solve my portal problem though.
PJ

I have not had such a portal problem but I have had my portals handle no more than one train at a time and return them in 1 minute.
Can portals handle more than one train at a time?

What sounds like is happening you are using 1 portal for out bound and in bound thus returning outbound.... So with that in mind your trains are
down the road theyre conflicting at same time scenario.....
What is highly recommended is to use a seperate portal for inbound and outbound when assigning a return after you have option of assigning it to the other portal avoiding those headaches good luck

Dave =)

No Dave I have two Portals set up so trains should go in one and come out of other, trains do not go in the out one nor out the in one if you follow what I mean. It works fine for 1st train, in No 1 out No 2. then the next train to go in does not come back and no other trains have gone in the portals, so its the only one " off stage "
PJ

Have you tried a shorter period of time to see if still happens? Dont know how many trains are going in during the 30 minutes but could there be a limit on how many trains the portal will hold in this way.

Normaly yes
on my route there are sometimes up to 6 consits in each portal
I have never had problems with them not returning

The only problems I have with them is:

1. they reset any names you have given to stock back to the original when they exit that breaks the AI commands

2. Some rolling stock for some reason exit and just procced at full speed untill they run into a juncton or track end where they crash, you can not even click on them to select and stop them,

rgds
Mike

I have not had such a portal problem but I have had my portals handle no more than one train at a time and return them in 1 minute.
Can portals handle more than one train at a time?

Try to check by sending the 2nd one in first
if it still doent come out then there is a problem with one of the units in that consist ?

No Dave I have two Portals set up so trains should go in one and come out of other, trains do not go in the out one nor out the in one if you follow what I mean. It works fine for 1st train, in No 1 out No 2. then the next train to go in does not come back and no other trains have gone in the portals, so its the only one " off stage "
PJ

I see that does sound strange which portals are you using ?
If I recall I switched to using the rerail portals cause on the regular ones I could nt get the trains to stop comin out etc properly....but I dont have any set up for return yet (still beta testing route) But I know I gonna want this to happen for a few trains eventually!

But as I saying now I am using the rerail portals due to more options and I also have script for PORTAL CONTROL set up time consuming to use though.....curious thought is in the line commands does each train have
a assigned return through portal assigned to them ?

(ramblin thoughts here I am work and no quick access to game but this is mind boggling...)

I've played around with the three types of portals supplied with TRS 2006. The so-called basic tunnels that look like a piece of track are very limited in their use - 1 train per portal per session, and trains that come out of them don't allow you to take over, as noted in an earlier post.

The portal labelled Portal (looks like a long, black tunnel) works for me just as it is described - swallows a train or emits one of several trains you have set up for it. If it swallows a train, that train can, at your request, be loaded/unloaded and turned around on a time interval you specify and sent wherever you specify. As many trains during a session as you want to send into it.

The main problem with Portal (the tunnel) is the timing if you want a continuous supply of new, emitted trains. If you set up a 30 minute time interval between the emission of trains, you either wait 30 minutes for the first one, or you set the first train up on your route to begin with, as well as in the tunnel. Furthermore, once the time interval is set for a given portal, it is unchangeable - another reason for considering multiple portals.

I see the availability of 3 types of portals as giving a lot of flexibility for the design of layouts and the sessions to run on them -- you just have to test them all and figure out their capabilities.

I've found that the L engines (L Conrail, L IC, L NS) don't follow AI train orders - at least not in DCC mode. If you manually send one of these into a tunnel for turn around, it may be that it won't return - I haven't tried that.

Dick

OOPS on preceding post

I inadvertantly used the term basic tunnels when I meant to use the term basic portals in the first paragraph. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks guys for all the advice/experience, I have not tried the big black Portal tunnels just the basic so that might be the answer, I'll try them and let you know. As for my current set up I'm only using two portals with a 5 min delay and only send in one train at a time, the first is ok but after that its mayhem with no logic !! trains either dont come back, come back ok or come back with no driver and no way to get control of them !! I've tried sending in the exact same loco ( with no stock attached ) and it never does the same thing, its quite frustrating.
PJ

Thanks guys for all the advice/experience, I have not tried the big black Portal tunnels just the basic so that might be the answer, I'll try them and let you know. As for my current set up I'm only using two portals with a 5 min delay and only send in one train at a time, the first is ok but after that its mayhem with no logic !! trains either dont come back, come back ok or come back with no driver and no way to get control of them !! I've tried sending in the exact same loco ( with no stock attached ) and it never does the same thing, its quite frustrating.
PJ

The Basic portal(plain track) works fine for me, I have 4 of them active on my route, sometimes there are several at a time in the port, and sometimes the only just behind the first, as the last car dissapears the 2 loco enters, never had a problem with them not returning:
The out bound ones have no settings at all apart from its name

the inbound ones consume the trains and rollingstock and send them out the otherend loaded or unloaded ( reverse of that state they enter) its this way I service my idustrys that require a product I dont have:

Like I said some times when I was setting the route up, with certain rolling stock( not the locos) they came out wild ( unselectable and not following the commands in the driver setup) ; changing to a different wagon stopped that:

the only thig that bugs me is that if you have given the stock a name other than the default it comes out reset to default; so instead of beeing able to give the stock short easy selectable names like coal 2........20
they come out with RCH Richxxxxx_xxxxxx_7 plank xxxx14
so when you try to select it during the session later you cant see all the name, and if your driver command was set in serveyor to say uncouple Coal4 the thing is blocked because it dont exist anymore

the other problem is you cant set different times for them to come out.

the short portal basic is bugged; it dont work most of the time

the on unportal I dont know ; never seen it
the iPortal works ok both on the internet and as a local port

the other way is to use the emit train now rule, but I have never tried it

Are you using the short portal? This is faulty and causes all sorts of headaches.

EDIT: This has been mentioned, sorry

Last edited:
Great Advice Guys thanks, I've now just set up two portals, both for inbound and outbound and using the large tunnel type one and so far on a few test runs they seem to be working ok. Ideally I want four so I'll add one at a time and hope all goes well. I think the point about downloaded stock is a good one as some of it semms to work better than others, I guess its just trial and error !!
Thanks all once again, although I'm new to Trainz its great to know there are guys willing to make the effort to reply and help out, but I've always maintained that train people are nice people.
PJ

One other factor - I notice you are from the UK and therefore there is a good chance that you'll have a copy of Bloodnok's beta MKiiia. This is not portal friendly, and causes problems similar to those you describe (it is in beta).

Sorry bid I dont know what that is ? Does it come with the game ? if not I dont think I have it, how do I check ?
PJ

It's available from his website (www.vsr.org.uk), but not from the DLS so if you've never been there then you won't have it. It's a very smart coach though, and eventually I'll get my beta report back (gone onto serious backburner at the moment though).

If you imagine the MK3s you see in Intercity 125s, then imagine something similar (but the experts will tell you it's actually quite different) being loco hauled, this is probably the best analagy I can give.

Back