Photo Competition - Any hints???

flathog

Warning - Do not drop 747
I was wondering if anyone had some hints for me as I will soon be entering a photography competition in which minor editing is allowed I believe.

Here are some examples of my work so far, any hints on how to improve would be appreciated.

bb181072qc7.jpg

bb181072sunsetgt1.jpg

lighthouseus8.jpg

middleroadtunnelforestnu6.jpg

sunsetorigjw9.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Tom
________
ipad guides

Last edited:
they all look fine to me. Just to show you I know what I am talking about here are a couple real life shots
850454823_91d1d4a441.jpg

850454769_69a8259d37.jpg

Who can guess where theese were taken?

As someone who has been in photography both as an amateur and a professional for 40 years, here it is:#1 over exposed and not level. #2 the same as #1 but off color. #3 looks out of focus and could be cropped better. #4 bad subject known as a record shot interesting to you only. #5 bad crop never put the horizon in the center in this kind of shot.
This may seem brutal but that is what the Judges will think.

I'll take Whitepass's comments further (as a 'semi pro' photographer myself)...

Unless you're really trying to make a statement, try not to centre either the horizon or the main subject of the photo. There is a photography rule called the 'rule of thirds' whereby you divide your photo in thirds both horizontally and vertically, and place your main subjects at the intersection points (where possible). In the case of the last pic, place the horizon very close to the bottom of the pic, as there is no interest in all that black.

Try to lead the viewers eye into and through the pic - in your case by using railway tracks and other interesting objects, you can guide where the viewer 'enters' your pic and where it goes. To understand this, look at a well taken picture yourself (such as by Ken Duncan, Steve Parish etc - they have lots of books in bookshops) and take a mental note of where your eye travels and stops through the photo.

Be aware of your exposure. I assume you're shooting digital; if so (if it has one) turn on your camera's histogram and view it after every pic. You want a histogram that looks more like a 'hill' than a 'valley'.

Get a book on digital photography - there's plenty of fairly cheap ones available at any book shops - and read it! Pay particular attention to composition and exposure (and use of histograms).

Ken Duncan and Leo Meier has a FANTASTIC book available from his website called "Photography Explained" - a small book that covers everything in simple English, and only $14.95 (+p&h)
http://www.kenduncan.com/galshop.php?ms=105&fn=prod&id=2543
I carry that book in my kit wherever I go.

Steve Parish has a great book called Photograph Australia with Steve Parish, another fantastic book that covers all aspects of outdoor photography.

As someone who has been in photography both as an amateur and a professional for 40 years, here it is:#1 over exposed and not level. #2 the same as #1 but off color. #3 looks out of focus and could be cropped better. #4 bad subject known as a record shot interesting to you only. #5 bad crop never put the horizon in the center in this kind of shot.
This may seem brutal but that is what the Judges will think.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll agree with your tips WhitePass

#1 is over-exposed but was done on Auto-settings as I was in a rush otherwise it would have been better. I should have gone with a high ISO I believe???

#2 Has had a sunset filter added, something my teacher suggested as it makes it look a tad better then the bland whites etc...

#3 was taken during the extreme storms in Wollongong and my teacher has given me ways to improve it. (Its not out of foucs just very foggy on the day)

#4 Agreed it is pretty boring.

#5 I'll take your advice on keping the horizon below half-way on board.

Tom
________
Honda EV Plus

Last edited:
With No.1 try rotating to straighten it up and cropping to get rid of unwanted bits :)
I think you will find it a much more enjoyable pic, I have done a quick job to the posted pic (did not quite get the rotation right) :)

bb181072qc7.jpg

Rotating and cropping are usually allowed in most photo competitions.

Cheers David

TBH! the 1st 3 images are not of the best quallity. They looked compressed and grainy. although the last one is of a reasonable quallity to enter a competition with, although you may want to crop out the land and put more of the sky in the image. Take a look at my website http://traindatabase.fotopic.net. If you want to know anything about the images on there please don't hesitate to ask.

Back