Painting N Scale models?

Blutorse4792

Now T:ANE I can get into
So I've been considering acquiring some 3D-printed locomotives and rolling stock for my burgeoning N scale empire, and this will require me to paint the models.
I have never painted my own equipment before, and I would like to avoid messing this up, if possible.

Anyone on the forums here have experience in this field? I'm just looking for general advice/tips.

Also, if anyone has any particular tutorials to recommend, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Too thick of paint application will fill in door details, ruining the resale value of a model ... Some paints will melt plastic ... a compressor and an expensive airbrush are recommended, and a hazing of several extremely very light coats of paint, overshooting the model by an inch or so, are a autobody painters technique. Too heavy a paint job will result in runs and drips. In short it is not a 1/2 job, as a one coat covers all, is too heavy ! Use proper ventilation, and a cotton mask.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, Cascade.

Is airbrushing absolutely necessary, or simply preferred?

Forgive my ignorance, this is completely new territory for me.

Its not the only way, but the best way. Brush painting tends to leave streaks and look heavy. While airbrushing will put on a VERY thin and even coat.

Before:
134010_1787354847641_5407243_o.jpg

After with airbrush:
254418_2146680310553_6126809_n.jpg

Mind you, that is an HO model, you get the idea.

You can get a cheep airbrush with canned air, but a compressor is much better.

Model Railroad Magazine (If its still in print) was the standard Rag for most Modellers since the 50's IIRC.

3D Printed N scale locomotives huh? What price per Cubic Inch are you getting? What kind of Material? Do you know what kind of Printer its being done on (Make/Model/Type, this can greatly affect the method which is used to print it)? Presumably you're just getting the Shell printed? Or Trucks too?

If you're going to be serious about painting Models, you REALLY want to go buy a cheap Air brush. used to be you could by pumps for as little as $100. Pawn Shops are a great place to go looking for deals as well. You can do the Aerosol Can route, but thats a pain and works out more expensive in the end unless you're just painting a couple models.

You can do Brush Painting, but be ready to go looking for practice models to experiment on. Don't sit down with your most recent most expensive acquisition with ideas of perfection, because it ain't gonna happen. Picking up a few $1-$5 Gondolas at a train show is a great way to start because Gondolas have always been the most ugly things on rails no matter where you go anyway.

Falcus

Model Railroad Magazine (If its still in print) was the standard Rag for most Modellers since the 50's IIRC.

3D Printed N scale locomotives huh? What price per Cubic Inch are you getting? What kind of Material? Do you know what kind of Printer its being done on (Make/Model/Type, this can greatly affect the method which is used to print it)? Presumably you're just getting the Shell printed? Or Trucks too?

If you're going to be serious about painting Models, you REALLY want to go buy a cheap Air brush. used to be you could by pumps for as little as $100. Pawn Shops are a great place to go looking for deals as well. You can do the Aerosol Can route, but thats a pain and works out more expensive in the end unless you're just painting a couple models.

You can do Brush Painting, but be ready to go looking for practice models to experiment on. Don't sit down with your most recent most expensive acquisition with ideas of perfection, because it ain't gonna happen. Picking up a few $1-$5 Gondolas at a train show is a great way to start because Gondolas have always been the most ugly things on rails no matter where you go anyway.

Falcus

3D printers have come way down in price with the quality going up and up. There are two different kinds that are useful for us. The first is a fusion deposit type, which is basically a hot-glue gun nozzle mounted on a printer. Each dot is squirted out and while the plastic is still hot a squeegee burnishes the surface before the next layer is placed down. The other kind is stereo lithographic or SL-printing which uses a laser and a photo-reactive liquid plastic. This system will produce higher-resolution objects with fewer artifacts, meaning bumps and lumps than the FD kind. There are advantages and disadvantages between both kinds and it depends upon their use. There are many factors that need to be considered when 3d printing including the cost per object, which is based on material use and output time. Sometimes it's not worth the cost of the materials since there is no ROI on producing the part. Also keep in mind the output time. A simple object can take 2-3 hours or longer, depending upon the size and complexity. Hollow objects, depending upon the printing method, may require reinforcement inside, while some objects require supports to keep them from collapsing. The other thing too is to produce the part, you still need some 3d modeling experience, or even CAD and drafting experience in order to understand intersecting geometry, complex modeling, and other things, otherwise, there is nothing but wasted material. Granted, things are a lot easier than many years ago, but still you need this knowledge.

When done properly, these parts can be highly accurate. My brother repaired the hinge and latch which got broken on my computer case. He measured the parts using calipers, recreated it in his 3d modeling program (I can't remember what he used), then output them, which took about an hour for the tiny parts. in the end the parts fit perfectly after he cleaned them up by removing some little bits from the supports. There were no other part modifications needed, and other than being grey instead of black, work just like the originals.

These printers range in price from under $1,000 for the low resolution FD kits to the $100,000-plus range. My brother just picked up a SL-based printer from Form Labs. This is a $3500 unit that is made in this country, and only 30 miles from where we live. He uses it for prototype modeling and for masters for his spin-casting business. He produces a 3d master, that is imprinted into un-vulcanized rubber under pressure. Once the rubber is cured, the part is removed and then he uses this to produce pewter coins, medallions, and other things for customers. His Form Labs printer uses an ultraviolet laser and the stuff can be cleaned up with Isopropyl alcohol. If there is any gluing to be done, since there is a limit to the size of the parts produced, he uses a cheap, like $22 green laser pointer he got on Amazon along with a dab of the liquid, uncured photo-reactive plastic.

John

snip snip snipedy-doo-da

John

Yea, I know alot of that (Sans the experiences with your brother of course). My College has a 3D printer and they're in the process of buying about 4 more of various types and builds, the next one is scheduled to be available probably by Spring Quarter (I think its a Delta? They're saying it's meant for Cylindrical/Curvy Objects). I don't remember the build of the one we currently have. I probably won't get to play with it for about another 6 months when I have enough Auto-Cad and Solidworks under my belt to actually make something of my own. I DO know the school only charges $5/Cubic Inch of Material atm, and they're trying to work on a deal for even cheaper stuff (Hence Why I was asking about the price the OP is looking at Paying).

I know a few people that have bought all the mechanical hardware for a 3D printer for less then $100.... The Computer bits are a bit more, but the Software is free.....

My proffessor's have already taken great pleasure in showing us their projects, and other nifty things like "What happens when a Part Falls Over during Production".... Spaghetti.... Everywhere.....

I was curious about what the OP was going to use so I had an idea of what specifically he was going to do and how he was going to do it. Nominally this is motivated by "Well hey now, 3D print an HO Model, what an Idea, I wonder if my Proffessor's will go for that?....." lol.

Falcus

Yea, I know alot of that (Sans the experiences with your brother of course). My College has a 3D printer and they're in the process of buying about 4 more of various types and builds, the next one is scheduled to be available probably by Spring Quarter (I think its a Delta? They're saying it's meant for Cylindrical/Curvy Objects). I don't remember the build of the one we currently have. I probably won't get to play with it for about another 6 months when I have enough Auto-Cad and Solidworks under my belt to actually make something of my own. I DO know the school only charges $5/Cubic Inch of Material atm, and they're trying to work on a deal for even cheaper stuff (Hence Why I was asking about the price the OP is looking at Paying).

I know a few people that have bought all the mechanical hardware for a 3D printer for less then $100.... The Computer bits are a bit more, but the Software is free.....

My proffessor's have already taken great pleasure in showing us their projects, and other nifty things like "What happens when a Part Falls Over during Production".... Spaghetti.... Everywhere.....

I was curious about what the OP was going to use so I had an idea of what specifically he was going to do and how he was going to do it. Nominally this is motivated by "Well hey now, 3D print an HO Model, what an Idea, I wonder if my Proffessor's will go for that?....." lol.

Falcus

I'm sure your professors would love making HO models. Trains, models, and stuff like it seem to go together. The good news is you'll have the opportunity to play with different models, and hopefully produce something you like in the process. Speaking of Solid Works, their headquarters is located not too far from where I live in Waltham, MA. My brother has done some graphic design work for them in the past for tradeshows and what not. We've never used the software ourselves, but it's far less expensive than Parametrics' cad products, whom he's also done graphics work for. PTC is really, really expensive, almost over the top, in some cases. They are also located not too far from where I used to work and at one time were right across the street from the old Polaroid office I was at in Waltham. They've since moved to Kendrick Street in Needham right across from the former Polaroid facility located down there.

The $5/cubic inch is about right, from what I recall that my brother figured out for the cost. There are quite a few different models out there with some that are even producing colored parts, although some of these use colored plaster dust to do it, which must be awfully messy. The problem with the kit printers, and the really cheap commercial ones, is they don't mill the surface between prints. With these you get obvious blobs on the layers as the objects are printed. Even the really expensive printers have this issue with the fusion deposit method, although the really expensive models also have higher resolution. One of my complaints with the output in general is the fuzzy look to the parts. This is due to the process, and in the case of the SL printers it's the chaining and reaction caused by defused refractive light in the liquid plastic. So the process isn't perfect, but it's getting better. In our experiments with various models, we've seen a few fall over as you said. With the SL process, supports are required, and if there isn't one in a needed place, the part literally falls over or in.

John

Thank you for the link, John.

Falcus, I am actually doing it through a third party website that produces and sells small batches of people's designs through a "shop".

I saw a guy at a train convention, who paints, and re fabricates N Scale locos, sandblasts the bearings, and re-gears them, and they run at 1 tie per minute, on pulse power ... cost @ $100

Thank you for the link, John.

Falcus, I am actually doing it through a third party website that produces and sells small batches of people's designs through a "shop".

My brother did this initially, but found it was easier to do the work himself. He had more output mess ups from the output houses, which charged about 22-cents /M^3, plus shipping. Ideally this was great, but the shipping cost on top of the wait time, and the screw ups, cost him too much production time. I suppose for people like you, where you are doing this as a one-off project, it's the ideal way to go.

John

Back