Overwriting routes with sessions attached

ish6

Since 2001
Hello Everyone --

I'm just curious about this:

We all know that we can use kuids# to overwrite old contents, like items -- But can this be done for routes, and if so, what happens if that route has sessions attached to it ... would the sessions still be intact?

Thanks for your feedback!
Ish

The sessions will refer to the new route version and will remain intact and functional, provided you didn't remove any elements that are referenced in the session, such as TM, triggers, junctions, interactive industries. Removing one of these items and replacing it with another will not work, even if you give the new item the same name you used for the old one.

Sometimes I clone a route to tinker with it, that creates a new KUID number for the clone. Sessions are affected if a route is deleted, since the route itself is a dependency of the session. The reverse is not true, the route can exist with no sessions at all, if you delete a session it doesn't affect the route at all. I have done weird stuff like;
1. Clone route and experiment, decide I like the experiment better than the original.
2. Edit cloned route in content manager, copy the whole folder and paste to a temp folder.
3. Edit original route and open config.txt, copy the KUID number and paste into the temp folder config.txt to overwrite.
4. Delete clone from content manager.
5. Copy all files from clone in temp folder, paste into original route editing folder to overwrite all files.
6. Edit, commit, now the experimental clone has replaced the original which still has the originals KUID number.

That process overwrites one route with another and keeps all the sessions working.

To make a session work in a clone is easier, edit that in Explorer and open the config.txt;

kind "profile"
kuid <kuid:522774:101363>
username "American Flyer 1100"
description "Switching activity for American Flyer route, free style template. 10 minute AI traffic from both ends plus 30 minute AI coal drags with different routes to follow. Similar to template 1 but with coal drag spawning reduced to 30 minutes so less traffic jams."
map-kuid <kuid:522774:101319>
category-class "YP"
category-region "US"
category-era "1800s"
trainz-build 3.3

Replace the map-kuid with the one from the clone, now that session is transferred to the clone.

I use that method all the time as I move my routes up in version an want to keep the previous session and route intact.

To add one more thing, to Sniper297's info, you need to also search the Kuid list in the session's config.txt and also change the referring kuid in there as well. I know because I found out the hard way on that because I updated a map-kuid in a session then found the session was still referring to the old route.

John

The sessions will refer to the new route version and will remain intact and functional, provided you didn't remove any elements that are referenced in the session, such as TM, triggers, junctions, interactive industries. Removing one of these items and replacing it with another will not work, even if you give the new item the same name you used for the old one.

Good Morning Carlo --

Thank you, sir for your insight and direction on this subject! :p

Take Care
Ish

I use that method all the time as I move my routes up in version an want to keep the previous session and route intact.

To add one more thing, to Sniper297's info, you need to also search the Kuid list in the session's config.txt and also change the referring kuid in there as well. I know because I found out the hard way on that because I updated a map-kuid in a session then found the session was still referring to the old route.

John

Good Morning John --

Thank you, sir, for that additional information! It will come in handle I'm sure! :p

Take Care
Ish

Sometimes I clone a route to tinker with it, that creates a new KUID number for the clone. Sessions are affected if a route is deleted, since the route itself is a dependency of the session. The reverse is not true, the route can exist with no sessions at all, if you delete a session it doesn't affect the route at all. I have done weird stuff like;
1. Clone route and experiment, decide I like the experiment better than the original.
2. Edit cloned route in content manager, copy the whole folder and paste to a temp folder.
3. Edit original route and open config.txt, copy the KUID number and paste into the temp folder config.txt to overwrite.
4. Delete clone from content manager.
5. Copy all files from clone in temp folder, paste into original route editing folder to overwrite all files.
6. Edit, commit, now the experimental clone has replaced the original which still has the originals KUID number.

That process overwrites one route with another and keeps all the sessions working.

To make a session work in a clone is easier, edit that in Explorer and open the config.txt;

kind "profile"
kuid <kuid:522774:101363>
username "American Flyer 1100"
description "Switching activity for American Flyer route, free style template. 10 minute AI traffic from both ends plus 30 minute AI coal drags with different routes to follow. Similar to template 1 but with coal drag spawning reduced to 30 minutes so less traffic jams."
map-kuid <kuid:522774:101319>
category-class "YP"
category-region "US"
category-era "1800s"
trainz-build 3.3

Replace the map-kuid with the one from the clone, now that session is transferred to the clone.

Good Morning Jim --

Very informative guidelines, sir! :p

BTW -- I've downloaded your routes, since I am a huge traction fan! Thanks for creating that "Yardwork" module -- it will serve well in my plans down the road, since I'm just sitting back and waiting for SP1 TANE before I do anything with trainz!
:wave:

Take Care
Ish

Back