over head wire?

boy_hennah1989

virtual GNER driver
when i make a route, i never have, apart from once, added
the over head wire (catenary, i belive its called). iv never added it, because it takes so much time, and some times can be hard to geet the corners right.

could we get track that has the over head wires already set up? so whn you make the track the wire appear at the same time?

Yes but the wire on those tracks is trolleywire (for trams) it's not mainline catenary. The only way of really doing catenary is to take your time, you can't really have mainline catenary built-in to track because of the shape and length of the sections. Most track splines are in lengths between 2m and 8m, so you'd have a pylon every 2 to 8 metres, which would look a bit strange.

JB

You could but you'd have to place them every 2 to 8 metres to match where the sections of wire join up... and even if you were happy to have a route with silly-looking catenary, it'd still be more work lining the pylons up to the wire than just laying a spline down :hehe: and of course you'd have to adjust every singly pylon to match up with the wire again if you needed to move the track.

I guess that put an end to my great idea, but what about the japanese tracks I found on DLS, they have built in catenary that doesn't look stupid

Kenichiro's track acts like bridges, but the track looks like actual track. The only problem is that it doesn't smooth the ground when you use the smooth tool, so if you want grades and cuttings, you need to lay regular track parallel to it, match the spline heights and then move the track to overlap the Kenichiro track, then smooth the regular track. When everything's done, just go back and delete the regular track. That's what I did when I made the Furuya layout, and I think it came out looking pretty good.

:cool: Claude

Back