Off the shelf PC for SP1?

Trainz won't load unless DX9 is on the computer.

Win8 64 puts most of the "crap" on all the processors and Trainz sputters and stutters unless it is on an SSD.

If it is TS12, it just doesn't run well on any computer. TS2010 44088 is a better version.

Harold

EDIT: I have had TS12 on at least 6 computer configs and it is a dog.

Trainz won't load unless DX9 is on the computer.

Win8 64 puts most of the "crap" on all the processors and Trainz sputters and stutters unless it is on an SSD.

If it is TS12, it just doesn't run well on any computer. TS2010 44088 is a better version.

That has not been experience with TRS12 and WIN7 64bit. More than likely WIN8 is the culprit.

Harold

EDIT: I have had TS12 on at least 6 computer configs and it is a dog.

That has not been experience with TRS12 and WIN7 64bit. More than likely WIN8 is the culprit.

I have run Trainz both on Win7 64 and Win8 64. TS12 runs just as bad on both.

N3V dumbs the draw distance part down with each iteration to make the FPS go up, they really haven't improved the graphics.

Harold

Brand new computer and I haven't even turned it on in two days, kinda sad. :'(

I shoulda gone with a cheaper system with win7 I guess. I've expended all the cash I'll have until next year so I'm stuck with what I've got.

Maybe the performance hot fix will help when it comes out. I'll look into the Direct9c when I work up some motivation.

I've been working my way through the processes in the task manager killing off apps and junk but no noticable improvement as of two days ago.

<sigh>

:(

Come on Guys, we need someone who has beaten Win8 to help norm out here, that PC should be on par if not slightly better than my number 2 machine, admittedly it's on Win7 though.

Perhaps a second install of TS12 up to 49922 in case it's just the SP1 thats messing things up?

It isn't the PC or the Operating System or things running in the "background. The problem is Trainz12 .

I heard the "YOUR PC is the problem" line for years and believed it.

Trainz12 isn't a very good game. I hear the constant line on the forums how well it runs, ok, if you say so. Maybe you guys just don't know what running well means.

Put TS2010 on your computer and that will work.

Win8 runs better than Win7.

Harold

Last edited:
OK, so I installed the DirectX9c runtime package and there was a slight improvement but I saw the monster treez for the first time on either system. Not sure it is related as I was doing a bunch of weird stuff at the time. Apparently there were a bunch of Win8 updates that were just waiting to install over the last three days too so it is hard to tell if they improved the situation in addition to dx9c. So far the only things I knew to fix in Win8 were the hd indexing and disabling realtime av scanning on the trainz directory. Frankly I've been intimidated by the ton of other junk in the task manager. Certainly I didn't see anything I knew how to disable (yet).

There is not much point in installing 49922 on the system since I purchased it with the sole goal of running SP1.

Evaluation of memory, cpu, and hd usage plus what I've read here in the forum seems to indicate that there is no point in upgrading the cpu or the ram as neither is being used at maximum atm and the game can not use any more in any case. Is that correct?

That would appear to leave upgrading the hard drives, raid 0 or SSD for both the virtual memory swap file and the game itself and/or upgrading the video card. Is that correct?

:confused:

OK, so I installed the DirectX9c runtime package and there was a slight improvement but I saw the monster treez for the first time on either system. Not sure it is related as I was doing a bunch of weird stuff at the time. Apparently there were a bunch of Win8 updates that were just waiting to install over the last three days too so it is hard to tell if they improved the situation in addition to dx9c. So far the only things I knew to fix in Win8 were the hd indexing and disabling realtime av scanning on the trainz directory. Frankly I've been intimidated by the ton of other junk in the task manager. Certainly I didn't see anything I knew how to disable (yet).

There is not much point in installing 49922 on the system since I purchased it with the sole goal of running SP1.

Evaluation of memory, cpu, and hd usage plus what I've read here in the forum seems to indicate that there is no point in upgrading the cpu or the ram as neither is being used at maximum atm and the game can not use any more in any case. Is that correct?

That would appear to leave upgrading the hard drives, raid 0 or SSD for both the virtual memory swap file and the game itself and/or upgrading the video card. Is that correct?

:confused:

I'd go for SSD drives as drives are probably the weakest point.

This may help with the services what they do and what you can get rid of and more importantly how. http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-8-service-configurations/

Ok thanks for all the advice and links! So how does this sound as a plan;

The new system came with a 1TB HD with OS installed.

I will add a 64GB SSD and move the virtual memory there and I will add a 256GB SSD for TS12 SP1.

I would rather avoid moving the OS if at all possible, in fact if it comes down to having to do that I think I'd rather start looking for some other game.

So many folks said that the new system would solve my SP1 problems and now I gots nothin'.

Maybe I'll take Harold's advice and move to TS2010 44088, TS12SP1 just ain't working IMO. Most of the creators who's products I really like are building to 2.9 specs anyway.

Last edited:
If you have a WIN7 64 bit program disk, create a new partition on that 1TB hard drive and install WIN7 on the partition. Then install Trainz 12 and only Trainz 12 (either version) on the partition outside of the Program Files Directory. Also install DX9c. Trainz 12 (49922) runs smooth as silk on my mid level Lenovo desk top.

It isn't the PC or the Operating System or things running in the "background. The problem is Trainz12 .

I heard the "YOUR PC is the problem" line for years and believed it.

Trainz12 isn't a very good game. I hear the constant line on the forums how well it runs, ok, if you say so. Maybe you guys just don't know what running well means.

Put TS2010 on your computer and that will work.

Win8 runs better than Win7.

Harold

WIN8 is so good no one is buying it.

If you have a WIN7 64 bit program disk, create a new partition on that 1TB hard drive and install WIN7 on the partition. Then install Trainz 12 and only Trainz 12 (either version) on the partition outside of the Program Files Directory. Also install DX9c. Trainz 12 (49922) runs smooth as silk on my mid level Lenovo desk top.

That's swell Tom but the point of this exercise was to acquire a PC that would run SP1. I've got a computer that does OK with 49922. I want a computer that will run SP1. (assuming one exists for a reasonably low price point)

Last edited:
Just tellin' ya my experience and my brother's. It does run better.

Harold

Win8 is much like SP1 IMO. It is what microsoft thinks I should want not what I really want. But that too is missing the point, is it possible to buy an off the shelf "cheap" PC that will run SP1? So far I'd say no.

:(

That's swell Tom but the point of this exercise was to acquire a PC that would run SP1. I've got a computer that does OK with 49922. I want a computer that will run SP1. (assuming one exists for a reasonably low price point)

Just follow my suggestion and install SP1 on the partition. Unless Sp1 is a hopeless mess as some have suggested, it should install and run just fine.

Back