NW CPL Series Coming Soon !!!!!!!!!!!!

RRSignal,

All of the PRR signals had the squared off lower head, I think Damon may update his at some point but I won'y speak for him on that one.

The peds are rarely seen on the left side of the track they govern due to them being small enough to be placed very close to the inside of two tracks but there are some. Maybe George would make a left-hand counterpart if you gave him some pictures. I asked him to make a gantry mounted one (they are all over Baltimore) and with some assistance on reference photos he made them.

Trainz can't produce aspects like that (the right way) without some heavy scripting which I think the boys at JR are tinkering with to get it to work right.

Davis
Ok, what do you need here, A new PRR Signal ? Damon

Hi Damon-

A couple things: Do you still want to make the PRR pedestal signals? I found one from gfisher. I haven't tinkered with it and it looks like there is no left-hand counterpart, but I thought I'd let you know.

Also, I'm using your excellent PRR signals in my mini-layout. They're sweet. However, are you contemplating doing a version with the lower face squared off as in this example as well as skeletized lower heads?

Finally, I am having some issues with these signals, though I suspect it's Trainz' fault. I'm using the PRR Style F/H as distant signals to interlocking signals. The problem is that they don't show Approach Medium in advance of a Medium Clear. It'll show Approach Medium in advance of an Approach or Medium Approach signal, but not Medium Clear. All of these interlocking aspects have mandatory speed requirements which is what the distant signal is for. Is that something you know how to fix? From what I gather from documentation, Trainz' signaling system is extremely limited. I may need to develop my own signals and scripting for a route I'm planning, since the prototype signaling is appreciably more complex than what Trainz can provide.

Have you used any of my B&O signals in this position, to see what will work in that position, then I can build you a PRR Signal that will work and act or show up correctly. Let me Know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

I could send you a open Config file so you can mess with that signal and may get it to work right working the Config. Or you could show me here with pics whats going on.

I will give you picture of the pedestal signals I am working on here in a minute.
1y9448.jpg

Damo;)

Last edited:
Have you used any of my B&O signals in this position, to see what will work in that position, then I can build you a PRR Signal that will work and act or show up correctly. Let me Know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

I could send you a open Config file so you can mess with that signal and may get it to work right working the Config. Or you could show me here with pics whats going on.

I will give you picture of the pedestal signals I am working on here in a minute.
Damo;)

Thanks for that pic. You should be aware, though, that the signal in that pic is missing the restricting aspect on the lower head. Then again, it doesn't seem Trainz provides a proper means of producing a restricting signal so it probably doesn't matter.

Ok, here is a demo with pics as to how my layout is behaving:

4797522668_e1b2a7e879_b.jpg

Ok, here, above, we have both switches lined for the mainline. Clear signals on the distant signal as well as the home signal. Everything is working properly.

4797524466_5e9eafafa5_b.jpg

Here we have the near switch lined for the siding, but the switch on the end of the siding is still lined for straight. We're getting all proper indications here: A Medium Approach on the home signal, and an Approach Medium on the distant signal warning of the speed restriction on the home signal.

4797524472_c9f7878e35_b.jpg

Here things are starting to look questionable. The near switch is lined for the mainline, but the far switch is lined for the siding. We have an Approach indication on the home signal and an Advance Approach on the distant. This WOULD be accurate if this were a three-block system. However, Trainz only uses two-block signaling (AFAIK).

4797524486_39ec8dd5cc_b.jpg

Now this the one that is really off. Both switches are lined for the siding. The Medium Clear on the home signal is correct. But a clear signal on the distant definitely is not. Diverging signals, even if clear, require a speed restriction no different than Approach, Medium Approach, etc.

I have poked around the config files and it seems to be the problem is the relatively paltry signal states (there's just 9) that may prevent a proper approach aspect from being displayed. However, you're the brain and I'm sure you know a lot I don't.

ETA: I tried replacing the PRR signals with B&O CPLs and no luck there either.

Last edited:
Thanks for that pic. You should be aware, though, that the signal in that pic is missing the restricting aspect on the lower head. Then again, it doesn't seem Trainz provides a proper means of producing a restricting signal so it probably doesn't matter.

Ok, here is a demo with pics as to how my layout is behaving:

4797522668_e1b2a7e879_b.jpg

Ok, here, above, we have both switches lined for the mainline. Clear signals on the distant signal as well as the home signal. Everything is working properly.

4797524466_5e9eafafa5_b.jpg

Here we have the near switch lined for the siding, but the switch on the end of the siding is still lined for straight. We're getting all proper indications here: A Medium Approach on the home signal, and an Approach Medium on the distant signal warning of the speed restriction on the home signal.

4797524472_c9f7878e35_b.jpg

Here things are starting to look questionable. The near switch is lined for the mainline, but the far switch is lined for the siding. We have an Approach indication on the home signal and an Advance Approach on the distant. This WOULD be accurate if this were a three-block system. However, Trainz only uses two-block signaling (AFAIK).

4797524486_39ec8dd5cc_b.jpg

Now this the one that is really off. Both switches are lined for the siding. The Medium Clear on the home signal is correct. But a clear signal on the distant definitely is not. Diverging signals, even if clear, require a speed restriction no different than Approach, Medium Approach, etc.

I have poked around the config files and it seems to be the problem is the relatively paltry signal states (there's just 9) that may prevent a proper approach aspect from being displayed. However, you're the brain and I'm sure you know a lot I don't.

ETA: I tried replacing the PRR signals with B&O CPLs and no luck there either.

Your using TRS2009 right ?, Ok, If I am looking @ this correctly, an understanding what you said, you have this happing:

A ___________________ Siding________________________B
__/___________________________________________________\______
Maine Line

I notice your engine is going in the oppsite direction, what happens when you approach it or face it and move towards it.

Is the trackage setup for a two Block configuration or is it out of specs.
Have you used the in house signals to see what happens.

I am going to try and create this in mine and see what i see..............

Both Switches our position to go in to the siding from both ends........Right

Questiion: Are you laying your Track in one direction only, this is must.............

Start laying your signals in one direction until completed.

then come the other way .

Use the basic signals 1st and see what happens, then replace mine with theres..........

Damon

Last edited:
Your using TRS2009 right ?, Ok, If I am looking @ this correctly, an understanding what you said, you have this happing:

A ___________________ Siding________________________B
__/___________________________________________________\______
Maine Line

Both Switches our position to go in to the siding from both ends........Right

Actually I'm using 2010. That said, you are correct, both switches lined for the siding.

ETA: I just placed that engine. I had the same engine at the opposite end of the siding, but it's really close to the edge of the baseboard so I chose to use this end of the siding for the purposes of taking screenshots. I still get the same results with the other loco though I'll go back into Surveyor.

How do you set up for a two-block configuration? I didn't know it was changeable. If so, that could come in very handy for my forthcoming route which is mostly three-block.

And, no, I haven't even tried the Trainz-supplied signals, but that's a good idea to try them. I'm gonna give them a go after dinner and see what happens.

Last edited:
Actually I'm using 2010. That said, you are correct, both switches lined for the siding.

ETA: I just placed that engine. I had the same engine at the opposite end of the siding, but it's really close to the edge of the baseboard so I chose to use this end of the siding for the purposes of taking screenshots. I still get the same results with the other loco though I'll go back into Surveyor.

How do you set up for a two-block configuration? I didn't know it was changeable. If so, that could come in very handy for my forthcoming route which is mostly three-block.

And, no, I haven't even tried the Trainz-supplied signals, but that's a good idea to try them. I'm gonna give them a go after dinner and see what happens.

I have a great reference for signal, @ this great site for trainz people to learn how trainz signal works and it limits. Credit goes to Chuck Brite he has Great PDF tutorials on signaling and weaking it. I cannot post the PDF's here there copyrighted. Send me you email address and I will sent you parts 4 and 5 and another one of his. He has done 5 parts I have 3 of the 5. here's this great site for ref : http://trains.0catch.com/. you can get the PDF's there too.

This looks pretty simple here what you have ? It's not very complex yet.

Damon :confused:

Last edited:
I am uploading my new N&W Signals now. So I am busy. Great Support from Auran here, have been approved for all the Signal supports,
will be on the DSL in 6 Hours...................

I have to get this stuff uploaded now ...................................... for all of you!!!!!!!!!
Damon:wave:

Last edited:
RRSignal I'm really into signalling too but here's the thing.

These are the things you can program your signal for in Trainz:

Stop
Stop Then Proceed
Caution and Diverging
Caution
Proceed and Diverging
Advanced Caution'
Proceed

So thats all you can work with (not a lot I know).

So to fit NORAC rules you could maybe do:

Stop = Stop
Stop Then Pro. = Restricting
Caut. and Div. = Medium Approach
Caution = Approach
Pro. and Div. = Medium Clear
Adv. Caution = Advanced Approach
Proceed = Clear

See how there is no room to add an Approach Medium because trainz isn't programmed for an aspect like that where you are coming up to a diverging signal it can only tell you if you are diverging once you are there.

Damon,

I was just saying on your PRR signals the bottom head is always squared off and the bottom head does not have the directly horizontal stop lights. Also, the top head never has the lights for restricting (top left to bottom right).

Notice how the bottom head is like a circle but the sides got squared off:
220px-OVERBROOK_18R-Approach-Medium.jpg

Davis

I have a great reference for signal, @ this great site for trainz people to learn how trainz signal works and it limits. Credit goes to Chuck Brite he has Great PDF tutorials on signaling and weaking it. I cannot post the PDF's here there copyrighted. Send me you email address and I will sent you parts 4 and 5 and another one of his. He has done 5 parts I have 3 of the 5. here's this great site for ref : http://trains.0catch.com/. you can get the PDF's there too.

This looks pretty simple here what you have ? It's not very complex yet.

Damon :confused:

Hi again, Damon. That's exactly the tutorial I used, but I appreciate the offer. As of this writing I'm putting the Trainz built-in searchlights in to see how they work.

Stop
Stop Then Proceed
Caution and Diverging
Caution
Proceed and Diverging
Advanced Caution'
Proceed

Thanks Strench yea, that's kinda of what I thought. I'm gonna tinker a little but you're right that's not much to work with. I really, really, REALLY think it would be much better and simpler if the program could just furnish the signal object with block and switch status for x number of blocks ahead and let the config file determine out what to have the signal display; this still can be done within the limited confines of current AI and could even allow it to behave much more prototypically by accepting output from the signal as well.

Stop
Stop Then Proceed
Caution and Diverging
Caution
Proceed and Diverging
Advanced Caution'
Proceed

So to fit NORAC rules you could maybe do:

Stop = Stop
Stop Then Pro. = Restricting
Caut. and Div. = Medium Approach
Caution = Approach
Pro. and Div. = Medium Clear
Adv. Caution = Advanced Approach
Proceed = Clear

See how there is no room to add an Approach Medium because trainz isn't programmed for an aspect like that where you are coming up to a diverging signal it can only tell you if you are diverging once you are there.

Damon,

I was just saying on your PRR signals the bottom head is always squared off and the bottom head does not have the directly horizontal stop lights. Also, the top head never has the lights for restricting (top left to bottom right).

Notice how the bottom head is like a circle but the sides got squared off:
220px-OVERBROOK_18R-Approach-Medium.jpg

Davis

I see that, I will make one signal in the raw form without textures and I will post and see what everyone thinks then I can weak it...........:wave: :hehe:

Thanks,

Damon:)

here

34o2bz6.jpg
:wave: :wave:

28 Signals uploaded, working the gantrys still and the bridges..........

Enjoy !!!!!!!

Damon (The Rocker):hehe: :wave:

This is very nice, thank you so much, the Trainz signal future
looks bright in my eyes....................:eek: :hehe: :wave: :D

Damon

That's just based on NEC observation. NEC signals and other PRR signals don't get the same play. On the NEC you have the squared off signals and signals that fit very certain standards. Outside the NEC (and that includes the Harrisburg section) all bets are off. The PRR was highly varied with their signals, which was part of the fun of the PRR. They weren't lame! :D

Actually, one of the annoyances of Trainz is it CANNOT prototypically signal some of the more interesting stuff e.g. Manual Block Signal rules, which is a MAJOR MAJOR playability issue. The AI would work much better if they turned more control into the hands of the users.

At any rate, those design plans, though, I knew I had seen them but had to poke around my Bookmarks. I was hoping to provide something more useful than being able to say, "uh, yea it's this high and this wide...um, ya know right." :)

what in the world, well,I guess the paint was never completely dry before the release of these great signals, I wonder if they can separate them!

Standby for a complete new Revision 2 of all of them

Standby for a complete new Revision 2 of all of N&W
To High in Poly's big time, not all of them but most.

2 kuids are 10.00+ in MB for download on the DLS.......................
That is unaccepable to say the least, and
10 not Approved from upload, not good in my book................
This is what happens when rushed............
The small details will bite your rear caboose big time........................

Let me know what you think of the ones that got approved, even thou they are still high poly also. I will fix this mess.............

In TRS 2009 everything is backwards for some reason, any help on the that!

Damon:eek: :confused: :eek: :'(

Last edited:
Applause to Seniorchief

Just wanted to let you know how ALL of your signals are such a great set of assets to the DLS. Thanks for all your creations:cool:

Back