NSW Signals Question

alco_power

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my question. I am just about to start signalling part of my route between telerah and paterson on my NSW route, and i noticed that the signals have "names"

Is there a way to find out what the names are? for example i was on the east hills line in sydney today and some of the signals have SM 438 EH
which i figured meant Sydney Metro,. 438 signal number and then east hills. ? Just a guess but then i saw another signal that was just M 310 or L310. is there some reference online that i could use?

Thanks so much

G'day alco_power,

I may well be putting "footus in gobus" but based on my extensive knowledge of our own VR signalling practice, I am going to surmise (note; I didn't say "guess") that the signal you observed 'numbered' (to use the correct term) as "SM 438 EH" is an intermediate 'permissive' signal (that which we call an "Automatic Signal" - one that is controlled solely by track circuit and the movement of trains), where the letters of the alphanumeric name are as you have indicated and the number in some way refers to the signal itself, possibly connected in some way to its distance from Sydney Central. The other two signals (which I will guess are located on different tracks - perhaps placed side by side) are 'absolute' signals (often referred to as "Home Signals" - worked by a nearby signal box or remotely from a major control center), where the "M" stands for the Signal located on the "Main" line and the one labeled "L" situated on the other track known as the "Local" line. The number portion (which you will notice is the same) will most likely correspond to the switch or lever that operates the signal.

Mind you, I may have got that all wrong and if I were you, I would wait until someone better equipped to respond to your inquiry intervenes...

Jerker {:)}

G'day alco_power,

I may well be putting "footus in gobus" but based on my extensive knowledge of our own VR signalling practice, I am going to surmise (note; I didn't say "guess") that the signal you observed 'numbered' (to use the correct term) as "SM 438 EH" is an intermediate 'permissive' signal (that which we call an "Automatic Signal" - one that is controlled solely by track circuit and the movement of trains), where the letters of the alphanumeric name are as you have indicated and the number in some way refers to the signal itself, possibly connected in some way to its distance from Sydney Central. The other two signals (which I will guess are located on different tracks - perhaps placed side by side) are 'absolute' signals (often referred to as "Home Signals" - worked by a nearby signal box or remotely from a major control center), where the "M" stands for the Signal located on the "Main" line and the one labeled "L" situated on the other track known as the "Local" line. The number portion (which you will notice is the same) will most likely correspond to the switch or lever that operates the signal.

Mind you, I may have got that all wrong and if I were you, I would wait until someone better equipped to respond to your inquiry intervenes...

Jerker {:)}

Hi Jerker, thanks for that it does give me some indication of what im doing. I can see myself just coming up with a "theory" on what im going to name my signals. I might just have to use my imagination for now. Im not sure.

THANKS HEAPS!

Back