No sound

wiggy1

I dont understand my name
Engine sounds and horns work fine, but any sound objects i place don't produce any sound. Please can anyone tell me why this might be? It started happening one day for no reason i can remember.

Sounds

Sounds give the game its semblence of reality. however there are two sound theatres. The first is as the spectator or external observer of a train i.e following or going past, as in camera 2 or 3 and the second is as the driver in Camera 1. Some of the creators have done a magnificant job with sounds, others so -so. As a steam engine fan I look for the 'chuffs' firstly to see that they are loud enough, especially when the loco is working hard and then that they match [or are close to] the wheel revolutions i.e. that there are four beats [chuffs] to each revolution of the wheel. The S & C 9f's are quite good. If all is Ok then it gives the route/game some authenticity. It doesn't have to be perfect but many ex- railway men like to see it close to authenticity. Camera 2 rail clicks and envoronmential sounds are very good in some routes but is that the reason why we do this, or is it to capture the realism of the railway? Some locos in some games are so good I can just about smell the oil and steam smells of yesteryear.
Cheers

Sounds

Moderator: my post on sounds was meant to be in the thread ' Just How important are sounds" not this one.
Cheers

Hi wiggy1

I’ve experienced the odd occasion when some sounds won’t play when initially placed in Surveyor. There is a workaround which usually sorts it out for me.

I’ve just had a quick play in Surveyor and laid a couple of British bird sounds which played immediately, and some French ones (from a different creator) which were totally silent. I like to mix sounds by laying more than one because the sound loops built into the asset are usually set to different time lengths. The overlapping sounds then don’t seem as repetitive.

I've had this, "some work/some don't", problem happen with several other sound assets. However, the good news is that all of the sounds can be heard in Driver when I do a Quickdrive.

As an added bonus, when you exit Quickdrive and get back to Surveyor, all of the sound files are playing. There comes a point when you want to turn them off though - particularly if when spending a lot of time building in one area!

Cheers
Casper
Cheep, cheep!

Back