No AI?

corvanel

At last I was seduced to buy TRS19 and installing it. Quite a shock. After a long time I managed to find most of the things I used to have in Tane. But now to get a train running on its own.
I created a very simple route. In a session I have a piece of track with one loc. In driver setup I select a driver and the loc. I give it a simple command, drive to track mark. I go to driver mode and yes, there is my loc. But the driver I selected is not there but a different one, that does no know my command.
So obviously I did something wrong. But what? The answer must be rather simple so I hope someone will set me right.
Cornelis.

This is the confusing part of the Universal Driver Interface. (UDI) While it has some great virtues, such as for testing, I find it confusing and end up with a mess not quite like this, but with consists in wrong places or missing after editing.

My solution:

Use the UDI for testing things such as junctions, signals, TRC crossings, etc., and create and edit sessions the old-fashioned way. Using your example, you created your simple test route.

- Don't setup any consists for driving because that confuses things, and don't add any driver setup stuff.

- Save the route and default session when asked.

- Close Surveyor and you'll see your route at the bottom of the interface.

- Click on View sessions.

- Create a new session. Session stuff is the same as before including adding drivers, consists, and all that stuff.

- Save this. Give it a name other than default.

To run your session, close this and run from the main menu. You can also run from within the Surveyor mode here, but there are caveats. If you make changes to the route, be sure to save Route Only and don't save the session too. By saving the session too, in a more complex session, all the AI consists will be out of starting positions when you start up again.

The UDI does have a learning curve and there are some "common sense" steps you need to take when using it.

My 2 main points for UDI sanity are:-

• N3V recommend that in TRS19 PE and Trainz Plus, which have the UDI, all consists be placed in the Session and not in the Route. This has always been my practice so it was not a problem for me. This will help avoid the most common complaint - moving or disappearing consists.
  • After you switch from Driver to Surveyor using the UDI, only edit elements that are in the route (e.g. trees, buildings, signals, switches, etc) and then save the route only - select the options to Overwrite Route and do not save the session, before jumping back into Driver.

After initially being skeptical about the value or practically of the UDI, I am now completely sold on it. The best thing in Trainz since working industries and layers.

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick reactions. Dementia must finally start (at 96) for I tried to follow the instructions in trainz wiki (that is how I tried to do it in the first place) but no success, no driver at all. And mister Citron, your method seems to me to complex to be true. I give it one more try with a new route. Still, I wish you both a happy New Year.
Cornelis

Well, I tried with one rail, 1 track mark, one loc. It worked! I went back to session mode. I tried driver again. It did not work. Excellent TRS19 (?)

Allo Corvanel
The long route, step by step

-Make new route
-put your track and trackmarks(name them well)
-save the new route as corvanel1
-go out of the game

-Restart game
-find route corvanel1
-click view sessions
-click create session
-if you click the layers menu you see session layer is highlighted
-place a new train (it will be placed in the session layer)
-Go to the Edit menu, select edit session
add the divercommands and rules you want
-Select driver setup then Edit at bottom of that window
put drivercommands you want for that driver/train
for instance drive to trackmark ...., wait for 20sec.
-click the V at bottom of screen, do that again (important)
-In File menu save as Corvses1
-exit the game

Restart the game, select route corvanel1, select session Corvses1
and see if it drives

btw much respect that a 96 old still plays with trainz
happy new year all
greetings GM

I created a very simple route. In a session I have a piece of track with one loc. In driver setup I select a driver and the loc. I give it a simple command, drive to track mark. I go to driver mode and yes, there is my loc. But the driver I selected is not there but a different one, that does no know my command.
So obviously I did something wrong. But what? The answer must be rather simple so I hope someone will set me right.

Attempting to understand this, I have followed your steps exactly (as I understand them) and have not been able reproduce your problem. Each time I jump into Driver mode the assigned driver and the "Drive to Trackmark" command is there, exactly as I set them in the Driver Setup Rule, and is executed correctly.

Reply to GM.
Thank you very much for your detailed instructions. I followed them to the letter and yes, it works. It seems to be far more complicated then it used to be in Tane, but once I have a working session it seems easy to improve it.
I thank the reply by pware and jcitron would give the same result but this was so detailed that I could more easily follow them. Again, thank you all very much.
Cornelis

Back