News from trainzkuiindex

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Pierre said, I really cannot believe how anyone who provided their assets for FREE (see what I wrote here? For FREE) can come and whine here when they don't bother about those assets anymore ( IF they would bother they would have placed them on a place where they can be downloaded from but as they didn't they don't seem to care about the assets anymore ) and complain...
If I would have created assets and I wouldn't support them anymore, heck, I'd be glad when someone would make them available, as long as they aren't changed, and that is what Pierre doesn't do, he just puts them as complimentary to the links he provides for assets which are still available. It would show my stuff, even if old, and the work I had put in it is still appreciated by many. But noooo, there are some grumpy old men here who just don't give other users the chance to use them and with that many things they need the assets for don't work. Why? Jealousy perhaps? Kudos guys, your medieval witch hunt worked. Oh man, I am so done here...this forum is gone for me, have fun y'all!

Ok guys. I make changes in the trainzkuidindex site : no more abandonned assets, no more direct download from trainzkuidindex.
You don't need to call attorneys and send Men In Black from Interpol to my home to take me in jail for 150 years and ask me for millions of dollars!
You win but Trainz users lost.
It is very sad to see how a few irresponsable and selfish creators can spoil the fun of thousand Trainz users : they first make free that their creation are refrenced in thousand other assets as dependencies and after a few years they hide their creations, and invoke their precious copyright, only giving the one-finger salute to other trainz users who only try to play with a game without holes everywhere !
Be carrefull to not kill Trainz with a such negative and inefficient attitude. Since trainzkuidindex begin to crawl the web 4 years ago, more than 34,000 kuid has vanished (more than 8,000 per year). What you will do in a few years when 50% or more of the dependencies will be lost for ever ? What will think incoming players when they will download a majority of unplayable map ?
Years ago, Auran give the keys of the trainz content to the community of the creators, making possible the creation of hundred thousands assets that everybody is happy to use. But this fact make the community and the content creators accountable, equals to N3V/Auran, for the correct functioning of the game for all players and for the durability of the game.
Pierre
I totally agree with you Pierre. You really describe how (Some members) in this community seem to doing more complaining about copyrights and less being productive in Trainz by creating content or routes. Plus check your PMs. Seriously, I remember the forums back in 2004 were full of people who were happily contributing to the community and nobody was attacking, trolling or complaining about copyrights. I know copyrights are serious but seriously guys (some people) are rubbing in the face of people here a bit too much lately.

Last edited:
by the way, I want to know...

Is this turning into a situation of when spoiled brats feel they have entitlement to anything and everything. All about the free handout, right? Wake up kids, it isn't this way in the real world. Seriously...

ZEC, you should step in, do something.

This is something about the content creators, not the content users!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
The issue isn't that people don't want a repository, it's the issue that content creators EULAs would be broken due to unauthorized rehosting and payware status.

Not everyone is willing to let their stuff be freely hosted anywhere. That's what the DLS is for. Unless the EULA states that the content be rehosted or made payware (the latter would be hard to find) then it legally cannot be hosted. It's especially the payware part that makes it a problem, because that is a big legal issue and could easily get the site taken down. Being a directory that links to other sites? Sure, no problem. Freely rehosting content? Well, you'd need to check the license of the assets or contact the creator, but a fair chunk could still go up, sure. Making them payware? Without permission from the original author, it's a big risk to take and not to mention very illegal, profiting off of another persons works without consent. It should be noted that yes it is usually legal to profit off of others work but only with express consent of the author of the original. May vary from country to country, of course.

I don't think anyone - myself included - is against the idea of a repository on the site, it's a fine idea as long as it's permitted by the asset creators. The problem is that by making the site subscription based and hosting the content without permission could easily have the site taken down, which hurts everyone in the end. No one here is against TKI - it's a valuable resource - but regardless of it being subscription based, it would be a shame if it were to go down. Copyright law does apply to Trainz, after all.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
SM

Good Afternoon All
As is always the case with copyright, if you don't have permission to do something, then you cannot do it.

In this case, unless the 'license' portion of the asset (or a public post from the author) specifically gives permission for an asset to be re-hosted on another site, and permits it to be 'sold' (i.e. requiring to pay to gain access to the asset), then you cannot re-host the asset and cannot require payment to access it.

This is unfortunate, but is to protect the owners of the artwork/content, and is the law in most locations. We cannot control the actions of third party sites, this does become the responsibility of the creator (or copyright holder, as the case may be). But we don't support any person breaching copyright.

Some may not see why creators require/want this sort of control over their assets, but it is not your choice to make, it is the choice of the creator of the asset.

@Matt3985, copyright has always been an issue in the community, but many may not remember it if it didn't involve them. These discussions have always been present in the train sim communities, and even back then many creators were strict on what could and could not be done with their content.

Regards

Good Afternoon All
As is always the case with copyright, if you don't have permission to do something, then you cannot do it.

In this case, unless the 'license' portion of the asset (or a public post from the author) specifically gives permission for an asset to be re-hosted on another site, and permits it to be 'sold' (i.e. requiring to pay to gain access to the asset), then you cannot re-host the asset and cannot require payment to access it.

This is unfortunate, but is to protect the owners of the artwork/content, and is the law in most locations. We cannot control the actions of third party sites, this does become the responsibility of the creator (or copyright holder, as the case may be). But we don't support any person breaching copyright.

Some may not see why creators require/want this sort of control over their assets, but it is not your choice to make, it is the choice of the creator of the asset.

@Matt3985, copyright has always been an issue in the community, but many may not remember it if it didn't involve them. These discussions have always been present in the train sim communities, and even back then many creators were strict on what could and could not be done with their content.

Regards

As I write before, trainzkuidindex do not host anymore any asset, and only provide links to third party web sites. This is effective now since several hours. As everybody have said what they have to say, I think that the thread should be closed now.
Pierre

It is very sad to see how a few irresponsable and selfish creators can spoil the fun of thousand Trainz users : they first make free that their creation are refrenced in thousand other assets as dependencies and after a few years they hide their creations, and invoke their precious copyright, only giving the one-finger salute to other trainz users who only try to play with a game without holes everywhere !

The DLS is available for free distribution of assets. A content creator who decides that their asset should become freely available can upload it to the DLS. N3V has committed to not removing anything from the DLS, and it is hardly conceivable that a content creator would not be aware of it. That's why it is risky to assume that simply because an asset is no longer available then the original creator is now permitting free distribution - a better assumption is that if that had been their decision they would have put it on the DLS.

By far the best solution is for route creators to restrict their routes to content that is either on the DLS or which they have permission to include with their route when it is downloaded. That way people should not need to be hunting for disappeared assets. That hasn't happened in the past. TKI fills some of that gap - where the assets are still on-line somewhere. It cannot fill the whole gap, unfortunately.

I totally agree with you Pierre. You really describe how (Some members) in this community seem to doing more complaining about copyrights and less being productive in Trainz by creating content or routes. Plus check your PMs. Seriously, I remember the forums back in 2004 were full of people who were happily contributing to the community and nobody was attacking, trolling or complaining about copyrights. I know copyrights are serious but seriously guys (some people) are rubbing in the face of people here a bit too much lately.

Would you mind if I acquired and released your intellectual property under my own name? Illinois Railroad Museum by applegathc! Because there is way too much complaining and trolling about copyright, right?? Ugh, some people man. Owning their own work, and everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back