New to this program

Rusty1955

Hi folks:
I am new here and am wanting to download and install some other engines on trainz 2006.

Could someone fill me in on how to install these. I already have 2 in my download cart, just can't figure out how to get them loaded.

Thanx,
Rusty1955

If you use CMP in 2006 to download, they will install automagically, but be sure to commit the items to the database. If you download via FTP, or without using CMP, you have to click on the CPD icons where ever they are downloaded to on your PC to install.

Welcome to trainz rusty1955. All your additions to the cart can be passed to your CMP. Click on download cart and your CMP should open and show all the assets needed in the left hand window. Just below it a button should show stop, if so then your dowloads are already taking place. If it says start just click on it to download. You will see a blue line start to move across each asset as it is being downloaded.

Welcome to trainz rusty1955. All your additions to the cart can be passed to your CMP. Click on download cart and your CMP should open and show all the assets needed in the left hand window. Just below it a button should show stop, if so then your dowloads are already taking place. If it says start just click on it to download. You will see a blue line start to move across each asset as it is being downloaded.

Thanx for the advice.

Well, I have them loaded, now if I could just figure out how to ues them, I'd be in business.

Sorry if I sound kinda dumb on this but everybody had to start somewhere.

Hi Rusty1955,

Open CMP then on the left hand side look for the search panel. Open the search panel and click on the down arrow just under the word search, scroll down till you see 'open for edit' click on it then click on apply. That should list all items in your database that are open for edit, when they show in the right panel highlight them all then right click anywhere in the highlighted section and and select 'edit' then click on commit at the bottom of the window that opens.
There is also a keyboard shortcut to commit but I can't remember what it is ATM.

Cheers,
Bill69

Keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+M.

Why do all that when the CMP has a tab at the top called Open for Edit. Selecting it will list anything that is not commited. If there is anything list in the Open for Edit view, right click on one and pick Select All, then press Ctrl M to commit all.

Once items are commited, you can start Trainz and select Surveyor. Pick a route and click on Load. Once loaded, press F7 to pop out the Trains selections, find your loco and place it on the track. Then press CTRL F2 to go to Driver mode to drive the loco.

Bob

This is almost as bad as X-Plane as far as having to have a lot of tech savvy, which I don't. I got the trains section to popout and couldn't get it to load on the track. Oh well, another sum of money down the tubes. Guess I should have bought a $4,000.00 deck of cards.

heck...nobody around here is dumb..

:cool: Hello Mr. Rust, welcome to the game!

The "how do I use them" stuff intrigues me...please explaine!

Hi Rusty,

Lets see if I can explain it without actually bringing up Surveyor to see if I am right.
After you do the F7 to show the rolling stock choices, highlight one, press the + sign on the poped out rolling stock display and then click on a piece of track on the layout. Wait 30 seconds if needed to see if it shows up. You may have to try again. Experiment with the other symbols below the plus. One can turn the car or engine around. Another can change it's forward direction. Once you get what you want on the track, do the press CTRL F2 thing to launch Driver mode. Give it awhile to set up. You will have a choice of DCC mode or Cab mode. Click on DCC. Press the (>.) key to go accelerate forward or the (<,) key to accelerate backwards. Sorta like turning the power pack knob on a model railroad power pack. Use (?/) to zero the throttle. I think CTRL A or maybe just A is for panic stops. Once you get the hang of this you will really start to have questions. Try trial and error and error.

Hi Rusty,

Lets see if I can explain it without actually bringing up Surveyor to see if I am right.
After you do the F7 to show the rolling stock choices, highlight one, press the + sign on the poped out rolling stock display and then click on a piece of track on the layout. Wait 30 seconds if needed to see if it shows up. You may have to try again. Experiment with the other symbols below the plus. One can turn the car or engine around. Another can change it's forward direction. Once you get what you want on the track, do the press CTRL F2 thing to launch Driver mode. Give it awhile to set up. You will have a choice of DCC mode or Cab mode. Click on DCC. Press the (>.) key to go accelerate forward or the (<,) key to accelerate backwards. Sorta like turning the power pack knob on a model railroad power pack. Use (?/) to zero the throttle. I think CTRL A or maybe just A is for panic stops. Once you get the hang of this you will really start to have questions. Try trial and error and error.

Well, you have been a lot more help then SOME people here. I may not be the smartest in the world but at least I give it a try before I ask questions.

Rusty1955
As SuperFudd has said already, just to point out you dont need to do the F2 after placing one piece of rolling stock but after you have built the whole train or as many trains as you want. F2 just takes you from surveyor straight into the driver mode. But also in the same tab you have two icons at the top, click on the right one and you can place a complete train in one go. If you have put together a train using the left icon one wagon at a time and you want to make others of the same combination you can save this train. From within the right icon you will see what looks like a pair of tweezers, click on this then click on the completed train you want to duplicate. A window will ask you for a name and then save. Next time you want to place this train you wont have to rebuild it one by one, just click on it in this window and click on the track and there you have it.

Rusty, 2006 has a manual that can be accessed through the launcher. Perhaps that would be of help.

It took me days to get things right, took weeks for me to understand the download station...keep at it...it will work...hopfully you'll learn all the things quicker than I did...I was a PC dummie...born and raised on Vista in the year 2007...never had a PC before. Pretty soon all the difficult things will make common sence.

Back